Online MPH Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

openhorizons

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am MD specializing in critical care and considering pursuing an MPH degree. As you can imagine, my work schedule is busy, so i am looking into Partially online MPH (80%).
Any advice about which program?
I looked into JH and Berkeley , JH is ranked number 1 and Berkeley number 8, and the cost is almost 50% less in Berkeley. There's also other very good programs. Location is not a problem. I am considering Berkeley, and i appreciate any input or experience with this program or others!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you figure it out since you posted this question? I'm having the same issues xcept I'm actually in Medschool right now looking into taking the online MPH at possibly GWU. I guess I'll look into Berkeley too now :]

Any advice would be helpful!

For an online degree I'd hardly think it matters; it depends on what you want to do with that MPH. Policy? Management? biostats? Epi? Population Health? etc. The core material you learn I imagine would be the same. I was consider this heavily as it would leave me to do whatever I wanted...then I realized it wouldn't necessarily count for much.

DoctaDee: Why don't you see if your school has a SPH depending on your year. During year 2 onwards there's steps, then clinicals are usually too tiring to do anything [unless it's psychation], so that leaves 4th year? There are several 1 year programs: Hopkins, harvard, columbia, NYMC, yale etc. Many students choose between years 3-4 [which i didn't]. I graduate this year and am doing a 1 year and then residency.

OpenHorizons: I'm still not sure what a rank gets you; maybe connections around the school? world? New York Medical College also has a completely online 1 year program. I am not sure they are ranked though. I thought hopkins was part online and part on campus [as in there was no completely online experience] Also, I love Critical Care; 2nd most fun rotation of all of medical school [was 4th year elective]; 1st was Palliative Care.