Online msw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edward3nigm4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here taken courses at an online MSW program? I am hoping to take classes part time online with a accredited distance education program, with the goal of transferring to a campus program for my last year or so. I don't want to start a full time program right now, but also don't want to be wasting time not taking any classes. THere are some good online programs, (IU, BU, ect) which aren't too expensive..espcially if I'm only doing them part time until I transfer to an actual in-classroom msw.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone here taken courses at an online MSW program? I am hoping to take classes part time online with a accredited distance education program, with the goal of transferring to a campus program for my last year or so. I don't want to start a full time program right now, but also don't want to be wasting time not taking any classes. THere are some good online programs, (IU, BU, ect) which aren't too expensive..espcially if I'm only doing them part time until I transfer to an actual in-classroom msw.

Hmm....there are a lot of things that have to fall into place for your plan to work. While there are some online msw programs sprouting from well known brick and mortar institutions, I really wonder how effective they really are. Do you plan on living in the general area of the universities being looked at or do you plan on doing the long distance thing? You also have to consider the quality of practicum you are going to get with a online msw program.....I am pretty sure you are going to have to find your own site, unless you live close by to the school (but why then would you do a online program?). Another issue is that a MSW program requires a lot of face to face contact with your peers and teachers, which is hard to accomplish with a online program. This would be less of a issue if you had experience and/or a BSW, but still, you lose a lot of critical opportunities to build the necessary skills that employers are looking for.

You also have to consider that while the online msw program may be cswe accredited (make sure it is), the school you want to transfer for the second may not be too keen on accepting those credits (remember, online msw programs are pretty new). You will have to make sure and give the transfer school not only the transcripts, but also the class descriptions and talk to the ppl who make the final decision on transferring credits.

I am not saying to avoid this path, but just understand there are lots of ifs and buts. I am about to complete mine from a traditional brick and mortar and I still encountered some major problems along the way (will graduate in may). If anything, the least past of resistance would be to attend a 2 year program brick and mortar program. Get a idea of the kind of population you want to work with, work on your applications, apply, talk to the practicum coordinator about sites you are interested, and get the ball rolling.