Online (or partially online) MPH - any stigma on it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stevebrown1022

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even JHU and Harvard have partially online MPH programs.
Would it receive less credit?
The diploma won't say it is partially online, but I'm not sure it would be ethical not to disclose it. Also, it won't be too hard for someone to look up the program by visiting their website or simply ask questions about the school life during MPH.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As you mentioned, many of the top programs have online offerings now- Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, Emory, Berkley, GWU. I am planning on beginning UNC's newly launched online Global Health MPH program this summer. I have no problem disclosing it- it would actually be pretty impossible not to since I will be completing the program while living outside of the US! From my point of view, online programs make the most sense for working professionals who already have a good grasp of public health basics. I already have a Masters in a related field and have spent many, many hours in a classroom in addition to over 12 years working in the public health field. So, I really wouldn't pay much attention to anyone who scoffs at my decision to earn my MPH online instead of leaving my current career to move to attend grad school. Obviously, diploma mills likes University of Phoenix and Walden have devalued the online degree, however, as more top-notch schools begin adding online programs, I believe this will change in time.