Online physics 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catnips

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone took physics 2 online recently. They have just canceled my Physics 2 class at my school (a day before classes start!) and I am freaking out because it is the class I need if I get into some of the schools I applied. I can't seem to find many online physics classes (with labs) either so I am so worried!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone took physics 2 online recently. They have just canceled my Physics 2 class at my school (a day before classes start!) and I am freaking out because it is the class I need if I get into some of the schools I applied. I can't seem to find many online physics classes (with labs) either so I am so worried!

Thanks!
That's so scary! I'm so sorry this is happening to you! Online physics 2 sounds like an iffy thing. You should definitely call the schools you've applied to and ask if it's ok or see if it's ok with them if you take it at another university or community college near you (hopefully there is one!) Good luck!

That's so scary! I'm so sorry this is happening to you! Online physics 2 sounds like an iffy thing. You should definitely call the schools you've applied to and ask if it's ok or see if it's ok with them if you take it at another university or community college near you (hopefully there is one!) Good luck!

Thanks! I found one from Mizzou and Minnesota said they accept it, and if Illinois does too, I should be ok. If not, omg!! Not the first time my college screwed me over, but this is big! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I took Physics 2 w/ lab online through the U of MN (here). Obviously it counted for Minnesota - but it's pricey (I took it while working for the U so it was heavily discounted). Online labs at home with your own materials or the "lab kit" you can order from their bookstore and have shipped to you (probably not necessary). Pretty basic class, not too bad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I took Physics 2 w/ lab online through the U of MN (here). Obviously it counted for Minnesota - but it's pricey (I took it while working for the U so it was heavily discounted). Online labs at home with your own materials or the "lab kit" you can order from their bookstore and have shipped to you (probably not necessary). Pretty basic class, not too bad.

Minnesota was so nice about accepting online physics, thank god! They didn't make a problem of it at all. Now I am just hoping the same for Illinois... At home labs actually kinda sound fun! :D

Hi guys,

Thanks!
Michigan State offers online physics 2 year round, if I'm not mistaken! It was lecture only and in general, most people say it isn't bad at all.

I found one from Mizzou, with laboratory, and Illinois said they'll accept it! I am so relieved! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Reviving an older thread, but is there any way you could post/send a syllabus of UMN's online physics 2 class?? I'm taking their biochem course now but I was planning on doing physics 2 (last pre-req, non trad applicant) in person at my local-ish university - long story shortened because I'm registered as non-degree seeking I am basically a zero priority and I don't think I'm going to get into the class I so desperately need.

I emailed the professor to get a syllabus see if my schools will accept it, but any more info would be so helpful!!

Reviving an older thread, but is there any way you could post/send a syllabus of UMN's online physics 2 class?? I'm taking their biochem course now but I was planning on doing physics 2 (last pre-req, non trad applicant) in person at my local-ish university - long story shortened because I'm registered as non-degree seeking I am basically a zero priority and I don't think I'm going to get into the class I so desperately need.

I emailed the professor to get a syllabus see if my schools will accept it, but any more info would be so helpful!!
PHYS 1108 - A94 Introductory Physics Online II
Twin Cities/Rochester | Spring 2017 | Independent Study
Class Details
Status
PS_CS_STATUS_OPEN_ICN_1.gif

Open
Class Number
Session
ODL Open Enrl Reg Acad Session
Units
4 units
Instruction Mode
Online & Distance Lrng (ODL)
Independent Study Required
Class Components
Career
Undergraduate
Dates
1/17/2017 - 5/5/2017
Grading
Student Option
Campus
Twin Cities
Meeting Information
Days & Times Room Instructor Meeting Dates
TBA
TBA
Pete Border
01/17/2017 - 05/05/2017
Enrollment Information
Class Attributes
Online and Distance Learning
Class Availability
Class Capacity
Wait List Capacity
Enrollment Total
Wait List Total
Available Seats
Notes
Class Notes
Fast-paced course with multiple deadlines per week. After 11:59 PM Friday of the first week of the term, registration is closed and requires instructor permission.
Class Link
Description
Fundamental principles of physics in context of everyday world. Use of conservation principles and quantitative/qualitative problem solving techniques to understand natural phenomena. Lecture content, recitation, lab.

prereq: 1101W or 1107; primarily for students interested in technical areas

Course Title
Phys 1108: Introductory Physics Online, II (4 credits)

Educational Purpose
This is the second semester of the University of Minnesota's introductory algebra-based physics sequence, presented online. It is equivalent to the classroom-basedPhys 1102W (Introductory College Physics, II). Topics covered include thermal physics, electricity and (a little) magnetism, waves, and some modern physics. Throughout the course the emphasis will be on understanding and problem-solving rather than mathematical rigor.

Prerequisites
  • Phys 1101W (Introductory Physics) or Phys 1107 (Introductory Physics Online)
  • Computer and Internet skills (such as using word processing and working in Microsoft Excel, browsing the Web, uploading and downloading files, and using e-mail with file attachments)
  • Access to a scanner to use for submitting weekly handwritten problems electronically. You don't need to own a scanner, although this would be convenient—access through a library or copy center (e.g., a Kinko's store) will suffice.
  • For Moodle's technical requirements, see Moodle support at http://www1.umn.edu/moodle/start/technical.html.
    Have a Moodle Question?

To get more information about using this course site and its tools, refer to the Moodle user guides (also linked from the Quick Links block).
Course Requirements
Your grade in this course will be based on the following activities, weighted as shown in parentheses. For more information, see Assignments and Grading in this syllabus.

• Weekly problem sets from the textbook (35%)
  • 6 multipart labs, including data analysis activities and lab reports (20%)
  • Proctored, "paper and pencil" midcourse and final exams (45%)
Note: The syllabus for this course is subject to change at the instructor's discretion as needed to support the learning objectives of this course.

So found the actual syllabus from when I took it, copied and pasted it above.
Edit: JK that wasn't all of it. I'm going to PM you

YOU ARE THE BEST. I'm sending you an email.