Online Post Bac Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hime721

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody knows anything about how med schools view online courses taken at a top 15 college? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends and I were discussing about medical school and somehow online classes came into discussion. I had no idea one can do online post-bacc until my friend told me about it...but my friend said that med schools look at them favorably as it is quite difficult studying on your own with classes that are online.

I am probably of no help, sorry, but someone here on sdn HAS to be taking online post-bacc to reply to your post. Do people apply formally to post-bacc classes or just take sci classes in a university?

I'm gonna venture a guess that they'd prefer courses taken in person at a lower ranked school or cc than online at a top 15 school. (Especially if you've done your undergrad at a top 10 or 20 school and proven you can hack the competition.)

I agree with DrLady that online courses would be rather hard, because they would require a lot of internal motivation to keep on track BUT I think online anything is sort of seen as sketchy just because the quality is very variable. To that end, if you have to do it online then yes, do it from a reputable school.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, those opinions I just posted are from what I've gleaned from SDN and other pre-meds etc, not from any experience of my own.

DrLady,

I do think that lots of non-trads can benefit from online courses.
In fact, there's a 90% chance that I'm going to take an online English course this spring. And if that goes well, I may take an upper level bio class that way.

If that's what fits best, do it. I was just unclear of the OPs situation, and I wanted to pass on advice I've heard.

I had not heard your argument about the strength of independent learning before, and it makes me happy since, as I said, it's looking like a route I will be taking myself soon.

:)

I've taken quite a few classes online. t's been my experience that there are more assignments than in a traditional "sit in" class. I guess they want to make sure the students are there. To make sure no one is cheating, they make students submit homework and take, and save exams on floppys so they can check them for plagarism on turnitin.com

Let me know if I can be of any help :cool:

DrLady,

I would be happy to let you know how the English class works out. If I haven't posted or PMed you in a couple months (once class is undeway), feel free to PM me to remind me. :)

Marie,

Do you have any advice on what to look for in an online coures? Are there any little clues as to quality/difficulty, etc? There are so many to choose from... I really should quit delaying.

Thanks so much.