Online Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunGently

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't perform well in a couple of my early prerequisite chemistry classes (Gen chem I and II) so I retook them online at a local community college and received As in both. I've been looking at my university's pre-med advising information and it says to check with the specific DO school as to whether they accept online coursework. I looked at a couple of schools and was unable to find much pertaining to the acceptance of online classes. Do most schools accept online coursework for prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say generally online way is acceptable. BUT the labs must be done in a laboratory. Basically if you did the gen. chem lab online, its not going to work. But still double check with each school. Most likely they will say the same thing I said.

Alright cool. I took the labs at my university the first time I took the class. Did well in the labs and bad in the course haha. Thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the transcript even reflect it as an online course? Because if not, I don't see how anyone will know unless they ask you. I was never asked if my classes were online at any interview.

The online transcript lists the course and the grade then a different column lists the location taken (online).

I can tell you for sure which schools told me that they accept UNE online work, including the labs: PCOM, RVU, ATSU-Kirksville, AZCOM, MUCO, PCOM-GA, UNECOM, and I am sure many others. These are just the ones that I have spoke with in the past week since I will be taking orgo 2 with the online lab from UNE and have taken Biochem and orgo 1 with the online lab at UNE.

The only school that directly said they do not accept any online coursework is NYIT.

Reactions: 1 user
The online transcript lists the course and the grade then a different column lists the location taken (online).

Get a copy of an official transcript. Also, if I'm remembering correctly (filled out AACOMAS nearly 6 years ago), they don't actually see the transcript they just see the official name of the class. I'm any case, I retook a chem class online. It never said online. Nobody asked and I didn't volunteer such.

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'll get an official transcript to make sure. Sounds like it doesn't matter at most schools though. Like JDM said, the only school that I found with a problem is NYIT.