Online prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akitavet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you taken prerequisites as online courses? If so where, and what did you think? I still need to take genetics and I am trying to make it work somewhere, but its not going to be super easy as I will be working nights at the e-vet (nothing like being low man on the totem pole eh!). I just thougth this might be an option, but I havent seen it offered anywhere online. I would only consider a reputable institution.

Members don't see this ad.

I took Genetics and Physiology online through UC Berkeley extension and managed to score an interview at UC Davis (won't know for a few more weeks whether or not I'm in, though). Here's their course catalog link: http://www.unex.berkeley.edu/online/

that is exactly the kind of think I am looking for, but unfortunately unless I am blind, they are not offering genetics anymore. I can take genetics this summer at 10:30AM but I will be working by then 12-9AM, so it will be pretty tough. I thought maybe distance learning would be a viable option.

Members don't see this ad :)
that is exactly the kind of think I am looking for, but unfortunately unless I am blind, they are not offering genetics anymore. I can take genetics this summer at 10:30AM but I will be working by then 12-9AM, so it will be pretty tough. I thought maybe distance learning would be a viable option.

wsu offers genetics online in their disance learning program. costs ~$1200, though.

Thanks wildfocus! I'm glad to have that info!

www.esc.edu

State University of New York, Empire State College.

More direct link to what you need here:
http://www.esc.edu/ESConline/across...21bc1f86c0a5739385256ca60057317a?OpenDocument

I took their Genetics course last term. I think it was around $830 plus the textbook, about $115.

CookieBear -
How was this course? Would you recommend it? I really wanted to take it with the prof I had for Bio, but it is only offered during the day and I couldn't swing it.

Thanks

CookieBear -
How was this course? Would you recommend it? I really wanted to take it with the prof I had for Bio, but it is only offered during the day and I couldn't swing it.

Thanks

I liked this course alot. I would recommend it for sure.

The instructor was real sweet and very helpful and understanding.

My friend is actually taking the course now.

She is loose on deadlines, so you need to be able to pace yourself on your own, because otherwise you can fall behind, as I saw some people do, and then have tons of material to do quickly.

Compared to most of my other science pre-req's, I found this course in many aspects easy. I'm not sure if genetics is supposed to be 'that easy', honestly. I think I learned a great deal.

If you're the kind of person who gets satisfaction and a good learning experience from reading scientific articles on a given topic, and doing a good deal of writing assignments, it's for you.

If you prefer multiple choice exams, not for you. Almost everything is written assignments. There's also a term paper at the end worth about 20% of the grade.

I thought the text was easy as pie compared to many others.

I loved the fact that you get to choose the articles of many of the assignments you will write about and critique. I tend to "dig" stuff that I choose, rather than being forced on me, so I did well, and enjoyed the course about as much as I can enjoy school-work.

Hope that answers the question. :thumbup: