Online psych options in my situation? Plz read - very contextual

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdlyfechrysalis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently graduated with my Masters in Counseling. Although my CV reflects many competitive aspects, I am not able to move. Therefore, I am not able to apply to a volume of programs.

I have been rejected by 2 of my 4 programs - one of them was a stretch commute wise anyway. I am anticipating rejections on the other 2 programs given the lateness of the season.

I am aware of the downsides to online Pschologist programs. I don't know if it will matter "enough" in my situation to decline. I am nearly 46, and I have 3 kids (teens). The oldest lives with his Dad and the younger 2 live with me. I am a teacher at their school (a job I love). I would not mind keeping that job (we meet university style, and next year I would teach full time 2 days, and very part time 2 days) and getting an LPC/LMFT role afternoons and evenings. If I had gotten into a Psych program, I of course would have to give that up.

I could manage online classes, and the schedule and discipline. I acquired my Masters while working 2 full time jobs and attending in person (made possible because one of those jobs was at my graduate school).

If I wait, I need to wait until my youngest (13) is out of school, and that puts me past 50.

In my particular situation, would you consider Capella or Fielding?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you need a doctoral degree? Why not just practice with your masters in counseling? Info in the recent thread about online schools indicated that several students from these programs end up practicing as masters-level therapists anyway, even after graduating from a supposedly doctoral-level curriculum. There is no point in sinking a lot of money into the venture just to end up where you are currently.

Last edited:
I have recently graduated with my Masters in Counseling. Although my CV reflects many competitive aspects, I am not able to move. Therefore, I am not able to apply to a volume of programs.

I have been rejected by 2 of my 4 programs - one of them was a stretch commute wise anyway. I am anticipating rejections on the other 2 programs given the lateness of the season.

I am aware of the downsides to online Pschologist programs. I don't know if it will matter "enough" in my situation to decline. I am nearly 46, and I have 3 kids (teens). The oldest lives with his Dad and the younger 2 live with me. I am a teacher at their school (a job I love). I would not mind keeping that job (we meet university style, and next year I would teach full time 2 days, and very part time 2 days) and getting an LPC/LMFT role afternoons and evenings. If I had gotten into a Psych program, I of course would have to give that up.

I could manage online classes, and the schedule and discipline. I acquired my Masters while working 2 full time jobs and attending in person (made possible because one of those jobs was at my graduate school).

If I wait, I need to wait until my youngest (13) is out of school, and that puts me past 50.

In my particular situation, would you consider Capella or Fielding?

I don't know anything about online programs. I think it might be helpful for people giving advice to know why you want the doctorate, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
No.

I cannot think of a viable reason that online training would be a worthwhile pursuit because it has licensure problems in many/most states, the training is not sufficient, and the cost is prohibitive.

If you do a search on Capella or Fielding, you'll get a number of worthwhile threads. The 30 second summation is that Capella is universally viewed as a very poor option for psychology training. Fielding may have a little bit of support because it is APA-acred (though on probation..which is a huge red flag), but the average attrition rate is 30-40%+ and the average completion rate is 8.5-10.0+ years. Here is the outcome data. Without addressing the clinical concerns of a hybrid program, the above data should be reason enough to avoid the program.

As an aside, "matter enough" is definitely an issue in regard to competency for both clinical and non-clinical work. If you want to focus on teaching, then there are non-clinical programs that will better prepare you.

Lastly, you didn't mention research. Research is a vital component of doctoral training. If you do not like doing research, reading research, studying methods/stats, and related areas....doctoral training is not a good choice. Even if programs that have weak research components...you still need to know it to get licensed and more importantly...you need to know it to practice competently.

I don't know anything about online programs. I think it might be helpful for people giving advice to know why you want the doctorate, though.

Teaching, primarily.

I would also like to do forensic work for the family law system. I think it would also help for my publishing aspirations.

As a Fielding student I can tell you that the program has completely revamped the curriculum and you will be required to move for your internship. I have greatly enjoyed the program but it can be very grueling. Some people look at the Fielding program unaware of the amount of work it involves. Also it is not an online program, actually or even a blended program, Most work is done as independent work under faculty supervision. There is no real online component except a board called Felix where we can chat or post things. You will get the same face to face time with faculty as you would in a traditional program but it is structured differently across time than a trad program. Sometimes I am so busy that the days blur into an incoherent mass.

As a Fielding student I can tell you that the program has completely revamped the curriculum and you will be required to move for your internship. I have greatly enjoyed the program but it can be very grueling. Some people look at the Fielding program unaware of the amount of work it involves. Also it is not an online program, actually or even a blended program, Most work is done as independent work under faculty supervision. There is no real online component except a board called Felix where we can chat or post things. You will get the same face to face time with faculty as you would in a traditional program but it is structured differently across time than a trad program. Sometimes I am so busy that the days blur into an incoherent mass.

Thank you for this feedback! By the time the internship year happens, I will have more flexibility. I welcome rigorous. I managed my Masters working 2 full time jobs and also being a full time student.

I could do the "blur into an incoherent mass" again. ;)

Teaching, primarily.

I would also like to do forensic work for the family law system. I think it would also help for my publishing aspirations.

Teaching can in some cases be accomplished with a master's, particularly in this economy (there were a few master's-level undergraduate instructors in my department, for example, which is housed in a large public university).

As for forensic work, individuals with a degree from any type of program that is nontraditional (particularly one that could be viewed as "online") seem to have to answer many more questions related to their competence. The forensic arena in particular is one in which the quality of your training programs plays a large part in the work you're able to find, and in how successful you are in said work, given the adversarial nature of the system. Remember, if you're serving as an expert witness (particularly on behalf of a lawyer), you're generally billing per hour, especially during depo or while testifying; a client isn't really going to want to have to pay for an extra hour's worth of credential-related questioning. Being licensed at the doctoral level would of course greatly help with this, but as T4C mentioned, that can be a significant hurdle for graduates from online programs (as, in my opinion, it should be).

No.

As an aside, "matter enough" is definitely an issue in regard to competency for both clinical and non-clinical work. If you want to focus on teaching, then there are non-clinical programs that will better prepare you.

Lastly, you didn't mention research. Research is a vital component of doctoral training. If you do not like doing research, reading research, studying methods/stats, and related areas....doctoral training is not a good choice. Even if programs that have weak research components...you still need to know it to get licensed and more importantly...you need to know it to practice competently.

But will they be available locally? Being geographically anchored (and aging middle aged) is a concern.

I would *welcome* research. :)

But will they be available locally? Being geographically anchored (and aging middle aged) is a concern.

I would *welcome* research. :)

An online program is not going to get you anywhere in academia, forensics, or research. Essentially, there is no reason at all for you to consider the online route.

An online program is not going to get you anywhere in academia, forensics, or research. Essentially, there is no reason at all for you to consider the online route.

This
especially not Capella University. Trust me. Do not go to Capella especially with the way the field is right now.

It seems to me that you're really just trying to get a "Dr" no matter what road you have to take, even if its that sketchy back road with pot holes thats going to screw your alignment up. I could be wrong.

These programs *seem* to be like a light around a dark cloud, but is that the reality? Really listen to what past posters are saying about how these programs are viewed in the world of psychology. Its a very competitive atmosphere out there, especially with internships. Certainly there are going to be some competent clinicans coming from these programs, but there are also many who are not. Its bound to be a burdon to have to contantly justify where you went to school and "overcome" the reputation. Considering the things you want to do, teaching or being in the justice system, the repuations are going to matter a lot, there is no getting around it.

With your personal goals, it doesnt seem like these programs are going to get you the outcome you are wanting. I understand your goals/dreams, and that you are geographically limited for a variety of reasons, but you may have to take a step back and think objectively about your options.

It seems to me that you're really just trying to get a "Dr" no matter what road you have to take, even if its that sketchy back road with pot holes thats going to screw your alignment up. I could be wrong.

These programs *seem* to be like a light around a dark cloud, but is that the reality? Really listen to what past posters are saying about how these programs are viewed in the world of psychology. Its a very competitive atmosphere out there, especially with internships. Certainly there are going to be some competent clinicans coming from these programs, but there are also many who are not. Its bound to be a burdon to have to contantly justify where you went to school and "overcome" the reputation. Considering the things you want to do, teaching or being in the justice system, the repuations are going to matter a lot, there is no getting around it.

With your personal goals, it doesnt seem like these programs are going to get you the outcome you are wanting. I understand your goals/dreams, and that you are geographically limited for a variety of reasons, but you may have to take a step back and think objectively about your options.

I agree with you.

I have been thinking about it, and I don't want to rush into other options in order to simply "get" a Ph. D. I don't want to get a clinical psych Ph. D. only to have that very achievement limit me because of my rush. I know that my credentials would get me into many non-clinical programs, and I will evaluate those options. Rice, for example, is nearby and the programs seem worthy.

What I've 90% decided to do is get my licenses, teach 2 days next year (I love it, and it pays for my children to attend), and get a therapist job in the evenings and weekends. I will study to re-take the GRE, and meticulously prepare my CV, essays, statements, etc.

I'm not sure how to get research experience at this point, but I might be able to expand my publishing. :xf:

I'm not sure how to get research experience at this point, but I might be able to expand my publishing. :xf:

What do you mean by publishing? Usually when psych grad students talk about this, they mean publishing their own original research in academic journals. I'm getting the sense, though, that this isn't what you mean. If we knew more, perhaps we would have other ideas about how to pursue the type of publishing you are going for. Are you talking more about education journals?

What do you mean by publishing? Usually when psych grad students talk about this, they mean publishing their own original research in academic journals. I'm getting the sense, though, that this isn't what you mean. If we knew more, perhaps we would have other ideas about how to pursue the type of publishing you are going for. Are you talking more about education journals?

Er. Um. My ideas, named, have been published in 2 books written for the parenting advice genre. I am fairly well known in a sub-culture related to a particular kind of parenting/style of parenting. It is there that I could be published "more". It was on my plan, anyway, after I got some initials after my name, which I now have.

Thanks for your continued participation in this thread.

I have been in contact with a Professor at U of Houston who suggested that some research roles are available, as a volunteer. I did a search for Houston, and am following up on related possibilities.