Online Upper Division Biochemistry and Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katatak

WesternU 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Has anybody taken or knows of an online biochem and/or genetics? I have taken 4 quarter units of biochem and genetics which qualifies me only for some schools since most need 3 semester credit units (4 quarter units equates to 2.667 semester units.) I have located UNE and UC Berkley sites for online classes but wanted to see if there were other accredited classes and if anyone had any experience taking these to fulfill prerequisites.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I took all my biochem and genetics online at Oregon State. I took a total of 7 quarter credits of biochem and 4 quarter credits of genetics, and I think I qualified for most schools. Genetics was a little harder for me because it was all based on reading and I have a short attention span, but it was definitely doable. Biochem was taught with videotaped lectures and was fun. Both classes required proctors for exams, but several schools have recommended an online webcam proctoring thing if you can't make it to normal proctoring center hours.

Check with the schools you want to apply to but think you need more genetics for. I think some will count a 4-quarter-credit class because they don't want you to take an entire class just for 1/3 of a semester credit. Same for biochem - I'm not sure if schools require 3 or 6 semester credits, but if it's 3 they might agree to let you just take 4 quarter credits and not 4.5 quarter credits.

I recently took a 4 semester credit csu online biochem course which I liked. A bit expensive, but they allow you to use proctorU for exam proctoring (it's an online webcam based proctoring system) which was ideal for me since I was out of the country. The teacher put all of his lecture recordings and power points online and you worked through on a semi set schedule (you had a weekly quiz deadline then a one week window to take each exam). Like I said, it is a bit more expensive than some of the courses I saw, but I liked the set up and convenience of the course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just be sure to check out each schools requirements. Some do not take online courses for pre-reqs. I am not sure about other schools, but I know UGA has a blurb on their website about them not counting.

I took both Biochemistry and Genetics online through the University of Minnesota. Pretty expensive but decent - especially the Biochemistry one. That one had recorded lectures to watch vs. the Genetics was basically self taught.

Just be sure to check out each schools requirements. Some do not take online courses for pre-reqs. I am not sure about other schools, but I know UGA has a blurb on their website about them not counting.
Yeah, good point. I had no trouble applying, but I guess that was just luck because I didn't think to ask any schools whether it would count.

Thank you thank you all! I have checked with schools with if they will take the online courses or not but will check again with the ones I ultimately take. Thanks!

I just took Animal Genetics online through Oklahoma State. It's a self-paced class that you have 1 year to complete, and it was the cheapest genetics class I could find (about $600). Just make sure it's accepted by the vet schools you are applying to. And I took Biochem through Kansas State (about $1200).

Make sure you even need to take another course - several of my classes were on the quarter system, and more often than not, schools were willing to accept a 4-credit quarter class in lieu of a 3-credit semester class.

I'm taking biochem right now through Kansas State (BIOCH512). It was about $1200. It's not a bad course so far. There isn't a ton of direction - it's mostly self taught from the textbook with weekly homework and 4 exams.

Hey all! I'm about to register for UMN's online biochem class - has anyone had any experiences (positive or negative) with this or problems with schools accepting it in the 2ish years since this topic was a thing?

Hey all! I'm about to register for UMN's online biochem class - has anyone had any experiences (positive or negative) with this or problems with schools accepting it in the 2ish years since this topic was a thing?
Took it, did fine. UMN, UW-Madison, and Oregon all accepted it no problem. Back when I took it (yikes, 4-5 years ago?) it was online notes and posted lectures and proctored exams. The lecturer was kind of funny if I recall correctly, has a picture of troll butts in there...

Thanks, that's good to hear! Their class is crazy expensive, but the university closest to me (I already have my undergrad, just needed this pre-req) just keeps making me jump through hoops to register and now they're saying I'm basically SOL so that's nice. Yay for UMN for making their process so easy.

Reactions: 1 user