Online Vet Tech Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing some research for a friend of mine. She'd love to work as a vet tech but are unable to relocate due to a number of reasons. I've seen some online vet tech programs. Would these be marketable and allow her to compete for a job?

Members don't see this ad.

This probably isn't the best place to ask this, since most of us are aiming for vet school, which is completely different from tech school.

But, to give it my best shot, "it depends"
Some states require licensure, so obviously, any one licensed is at an advantage there. However, in various jobs I've looked at, many of them specify "licensure from a program NOT completed online."

It seems that many employers feel that a non-licensed tech with years of experience is better than one licensed through an online program.
Like I said, this is just what I've picked up from looking at job ads and talking to employers. It might be different around here because we're just ten minutes from an excellent tech school, also because our state doesnt require licenses for techs--not a single tech in my practice is licensed!

I haven't noticed any pay difference between licensed/non licensed. Nor, in this area at least, do the opportunities seem to differ for the two. That may change depending on the area your friend lives in.