only allowed 4 weeks for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamcool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the past I have learned best by doing lots of questions. Because of this, I want to make sure that I finish all 3 q banks. The problem is my school only gives us 4 weeks to prepare for step 1. Suppose I do Kaplan during 2nd year and USMLE world during the allocated 4 week period, how can I squeeze in USMLErx?

I also wanted to ask if 4 week is enough for USMLE world.

Please help me out!! Any suggestion will help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In the past I have learned best by doing lots of questions. Because of this, I want to make sure that I finish all 3 q banks. The problem is my school only gives us 4 weeks to prepare for step 1. Suppose I do Kaplan during 2nd year and USMLE world during the allocated 4 week period, how can I squeeze in USMLErx?

Yep we get 3, MAYBE 4 weeks if lucky.

tumblr_lgbinlBeoY1qf8yek.gif

Yep we get 3, MAYBE 4 weeks if lucky.

tumblr_lgbinlBeoY1qf8yek.gif

Yes, I do plan to deal with it. That is why I am asking this question. Have you taken step 1 yet? If so can you please comment on how prepared and if you wanted to finish all 3 q banks how you would go about doing it?

Yes, I do plan to deal with it. That is why I am asking this question. Have you taken step 1 yet? If so can you please comment on how prepared and if you wanted to finish all 3 q banks how you would go about doing it?

Not til next summer. Just study all year for it with classes. Pre clinical grades don't matter at all

Members don't see this ad :)

I did probably 65-80% of all three QBanks. Here's how I did it:

I used Kaplan to study along with MS-2 curriculum.

I used UWorld to study for mini-boards.

I used USMLERx to study for the 4 weeks of Step1, along with UWorld practice test & the NBME practice tests.

I just got my score back. It was good. I would avoid waiting to use the QBanks until the last 4 weeks of your studying. You should use them earlier.

The problem is my school only gives us 4 weeks to prepare for step 1.

I had 2 weeks from last Final until my exam. Could have taken up to 4. I just started studying after christmas break and took a more leisurely pace rather than cramming it into the last few weeks. Worked well for me and was much less stressful that way I think. Had 6 months of world and did the first half as subjects/topics and did the last half random.

If you plan on taking in-depth notes while doing world or annotating, 4 weeks may be a tight squeeze. I got through ~80% of world while annotating in 4 weeks, but I definitely am not a scorcher when it comes to covering material. I think you could probably manage world in 4 weeks, especially if doing questions is your primary means of studying.

I went with a year long preparation plan and took 3 weeks for dedicated step1 prep at the end with excellent results. check out my post in the experiences section for details.

Reactions: 1 user