Only one semester of Gen. Chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MolonLabe16

Make It So
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying to med schools next June, and I had a quick question about Gen. Chem. requirements. Many of the websites I've visited list 2 semesters of Gen Chem with lab as the necessary prerequisite work for applicants.

The way chemistry was set up at my school, if you had a 5 on the AP you could place into the intensive 1 semester Gen Chem and move on to Organic after that one semester. This sequence of classes was also listed as one of the course tracks by the prehealth department.

Will this be a problem when I am applying to schools? Do I need to take another semester of Gen Chem?

Some more info, I am a senior Chem major with many upper level classes already under my belt. I would rather not have to take another semester of Gen Chem.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a chem major with lots of upper level classes you are fine and can list one of the upper levels for the schools who require you to specifically indicate prereqs on their secondaries. If you were not a chem major and did not have upper level classes then yes, the safe course if action would have been taking a second semester of Gen chem.

I plan on applying to med schools next June, and I had a quick question about Gen. Chem. requirements. Many of the websites I've visited list 2 semesters of Gen Chem with lab as the necessary prerequisite work for applicants.

The way chemistry was set up at my school, if you had a 5 on the AP you could place into the intensive 1 semester Gen Chem and move on to Organic after that one semester. This sequence of classes was also listed as one of the course tracks by the prehealth department.

Will this be a problem when I am applying to schools? Do I need to take another semester of Gen Chem?

Some more info, I am a senior Chem major with many upper level classes already under my belt. I would rather not have to take another semester of Gen Chem.
Just take the second Gen Chem and 1 semester of Biochem.

Biochem is required at several schools, so you're going to have to get it out of the way anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)

Biochem is required at several schools, so you're going to have to get it out of the way anyway.

OP is a chem major. Their upper level courses will more than cover the Gen Chem requirement.

Reactions: 1 user
The PP said it - your upper level courses should be fine. I only had one semester of Gen Chem (I was originally an engineering major and they only had to take one semester for two semesters worth of material) and since I was not a chem major, I had to take Quantitative Analysis (icky) for that second semester of inorganic chem.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So Physical Chem and/or Analytical Chem could work in place of the 2nd Gen. Chem.?

I'll still talk to my advisor about this just to be sure

I'll have 2 semesters of Biochem by the time I apply.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So Physical Chem and/or Analytical Chem could work in place of the 2nd Gen. Chem.?

I'll still talk to my advisor about this just to be sure

Yes, you should be totally fine listing either of those. If you want to be completely sure you can email some of the schools you're planning to apply to and ask them directly, but there is no reason at all to think you'll have a problem.