Only PM&S residencies??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just was wondering where all of you get your info on finding out that only surgical residencies will be accredited? I recently talked to two different Podiatrists this week and they do not think that surgery is(/will not be) the main driving force for Podiatry. Keep in mind these PODS both work in a top academic medical center where they do a lot of vascular wound care/ primary care/ research and are professors to Orthopaedic Residents.

What was alarming to me is one of them told me that I shouldn't go into Podiatry if all I want to do is surgery. "For all we know, legislation someday might say that only MD/DO's can do major surgery with the foot/ ankle" :eek:

Although I think that these people may not know what exactly is going on with podiatry, I would like some of you to give me some relavent info on Podiatric surgery and the future of podiatry.

I thought that only PM&S residencies were going to be accredited. I told one of them this and they knew nothing about that.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

doclm said:
Hello,

I just was wondering where all of you get your info on finding out that only surgical residencies will be accredited? I recently talked to two different Podiatrists this week and they do not think that surgery is(/will not be) the main driving force for Podiatry. Keep in mind these PODS both work in a top academic medical center where they do a lot of vascular wound care/ primary care/ research and are professors to Orthopaedic Residents.

What was alarming to me is one of them told me that I shouldn't go into Podiatry if all I want to do is surgery. "For all we know, legislation someday might say that only MD/DO's can do major surgery with the foot/ ankle" :eek:

Although I think that these people may not know what exactly is going on with podiatry, I would like some of you to give me some relavent info on Podiatric surgery and the future of podiatry.

I thought that only PM&S residencies were going to be accredited. I told one of them this and they knew nothing about that.

Thanks.

The CPME is trying to phase out residencies that don't offer enough surgical training. In the near future all residency programs will be either PMS-36 or PMS-24. This will allow all residents to get at least one full year of surgical training. As far as changing the rules, we have the US congress on our side.

shanebrown20 said:
The CPME is trying to phase out residencies that don't offer enough surgical training. In the near future all residency programs will be either PMS-36 or PMS-24. This will allow all residents to get at least one full year of surgical training. As far as changing the rules, we have the US congress on our side.

Pardon my ignorance, what does CPME stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
As of this year, there will only be podiatric medicine and surgery residencies in podiatry (PM&S 24 and 36's). I definitely disagree with the statements made by those docs. On the contrary, podiatry is turning into a surgical sub-specialty in most areas. Podiatrists will continue to do foot and ankle surgery and will eventually phase out the few remaining orthopods that still do it. Having said that, there are other profitable areas of podiatry for those not intending to do a lot of surgery. But remember, in any surgical sub-specialty, actual OR time makes up less than half of a doctors practice. Evaluations, Pre/post op clinics, and consults take up a lot of time.
If those guys didn't even know about the residency format change, they have no clue what is going on.

jonwill said:
As of this year, there will only be podiatric medicine and surgery residencies in podiatry (PM&S 24 and 36's).
Jonwill, this is not true. There are several existing programs that will not undergo their CPME on site review for conversion to one of the new residency model until Fall of 2008. You can find out the residency program's next CPME on site review in the CPME 300 document on Approved Residency Program at http://www.apma.org/s_apma/seccpme.asp?CID=165&DID=9706
I would say that majority (if not all) of the programs will be converted to one of the two new residency models by 2009.

dpmgrad said:
Jonwill, this is not true. There are several existing programs that will not undergo their CPME on site review for conversion to one of the new residency model until Fall of 2008. You can find out the residency program's next CPME on site review in the CPME 300 document on Approved Residency Program at http://www.apma.org/s_apma/seccpme.asp?CID=165&DID=9706
I would say that majority (if not all) of the programs will be converted to one of the two new residency models by 2009.

Technically, you are correct. Although there are a few programs out there that will not change their classification for a few years, as of this year, all programs will be acting as PM&S 24 or 36's. In other words, there will be no more one year programs. The remaining RPR's and PPMR's will lead into at least a 2nd year of training. Albert einstein in philly is an example where the RPR automatically leads into a PSR-12. It is not yet technically a PM&S-24 but is acting as such. After looking through the AACPM site, I only found 3 programs that are not currently operating as a 24 or 36.

jonwill said:
Technically, you are correct. Although there are a few programs out there that will not change their classification for a few years, as of this year, all programs will be acting as PM&S 24 or 36's. In other words, there will be no more one year programs. The remaining RPR's and PPMR's will lead into at least a 2nd year of training. Albert einstein in philly is an example where the RPR automatically leads into a PSR-12. It is not yet technically a PM&S-24 but is acting as such. After looking through the AACPM site, I only found 3 programs that are not currently operating as a 24 or 36.

I agree with you.

jonwill said:
As of this year, there will only be podiatric medicine and surgery residencies in podiatry (PM&S 24 and 36's). I definitely disagree with the statements made by those docs. On the contrary, podiatry is turning into a surgical sub-specialty in most areas. Podiatrists will continue to do foot and ankle surgery and will eventually phase out the few remaining orthopods that still do it. Having said that, there are other profitable areas of podiatry for those not intending to do a lot of surgery. But remember, in any surgical sub-specialty, actual OR time makes up less than half of a doctors practice. Evaluations, Pre/post op clinics, and consults take up a lot of time.
If those guys didn't even know about the residency format change, they have no clue what is going on.

Thank you very much for explaining this more clearly. Those PODS that I talked to must really have no clue. Well they have been practicing for at least 10-20 years, so I am sure things have changed significantly. I think both of them only have a one year residency, POR.