Only taking 9 credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xbowers003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this past spring (and fall) semester I only took 9 credits per semester. A little background as to why:

I was a psych major and switched to pre-med about halfway through. To this day, I have been in school for 6 years and my financial aid has assuredly run out. I am only able to keep taking classes by paying out of my own pocket (I'm an SES student too technically per AMCAS). And so, I worked over the summer to make as much money as I could, and could only afford 9 credits per semester last and this semester.

Will medical schools frown upon this? My previous semesters (when I had financial aid) i was taking full course loads (Genetics, Chem II, calc) while working and all my EC's, and always 4 pointed. The work load isnt the issue. The money is.

Members don't see this ad.

And my classes last fall were Organic I and Physics I. This semester was Organic II and physics II

While it's not ideal, you have a legitimate excuse so I think you should be fine. I would just make sure to explain this somewhere on your application. It's good that you were doing well in classes when you had the full schedule. Just make sure you keep getting good grades now that your course load is lighter.Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So this past spring (and fall) semester I only took 9 credits per semester. A little background as to why:

I was a psych major and switched to pre-med about halfway through. To this day, I have been in school for 6 years and my financial aid has assuredly run out. I am only able to keep taking classes by paying out of my own pocket (I'm an SES student too technically per AMCAS). And so, I worked over the summer to make as much money as I could, and could only afford 9 credits per semester last and this semester.

Will medical schools frown upon this? My previous semesters (when I had financial aid) i was taking full course loads (Genetics, Chem II, calc) while working and all my EC's, and always 4 pointed. The work load isnt the issue. The money is.
I didn't realize pre-med had become a formal major until I joined SDN. Always thought pre-med just meant getting the pre-reqs.

are you doing a post-bacc?

i'm psych major; senior. doing a post-bacc at a local state school. 10k vs 60k , amazing

I didn't realize pre-med had become a formal major until I joined SDN. Always thought pre-med just meant getting the pre-reqs.

Whoops should have been a little more specific; pre-med (at least at my university) is NOT a major but just a set of guidelines; my degree is still psychology but I will have all of the pre-reqs done for medical school.

are you doing a post-bacc?

i'm psych major; senior. doing a post-bacc at a local state school. 10k vs 60k , amazing

Technically, yes. I graduated with my degree last spring but came back to my university to complete the rest of the pre-reqs. Its crazy expensive out there these days!