ONLY Taking COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iTcanBdone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm an OMS-II and as of right now I am only planning on taking the COMLEX Exam. My goal is to get an 600+ (just like everybody else I'm assuming lol) and I'm interested in EM and IM. My question is which Qbank should I use since I'm only taking the COMLEX?

I know that COMBank and COMQuest are options but does anyone think I'll be better off just getting U World and using the Savarese text for my OMM review? Also I have already started doing USMLE Rx during my 2nd year and FA so I know I will be using those as well. Thank you guys for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only a fellow second year, but having looked at COMBank and UWorld, I feel like UWorld is better for building a foundation, while COMBank is better for getting used to the style of questions asked on the COMLEX. However, with the move to consolidate residency programs, all formerly DO-only EM programs will be forced to apply for ACGME preliminary status by the time you and I match, so it would be a good idea to take the USMLE if your practice tests are looking good leading up to the test. EM is actually a special beast in regard to applications- you have to have a Step 2 score for many allo programs if you want serious consideration, and you have to have a standardized letter (the SLOE) for them to look at you as well, which can only be completed by a PD of an EM residency program and must be submitted with your residency app.

Just some food for thought. IM you should be fine matching community or low-tier academic with just a COMLEX, but if you want to be competitive, the USMLE is a must.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm only a fellow second year, but having looked at COMBank and UWorld, I feel like UWorld is better for building a foundation, while COMBank is better for getting used to the style of questions asked on the COMLEX. However, with the move to consolidate residency programs, all formerly DO-only EM programs will be forced to apply for ACGME preliminary status by the time you and I match, so it would be a good idea to take the USMLE if your practice tests are looking good leading up to the test. EM is actually a special beast in regard to applications- you have to have a Step 2 score for many allo programs if you want serious consideration, and you have to have a standardized letter (the SLOE) for them to look at you as well, which can only be completed by a PD of an EM residency program and must be submitted with your residency app.

Just some food for thought. IM you should be fine matching community or low-tier academic with just a COMLEX, but if you want to be competitive, the USMLE is a must.
Thanks so much that was very helpful!! I'm was on the fence about taking both but after more input it looks like I'll be most likely taking them both!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why only comlex with em on the list?
I'm still considering taking both. My logic at first was mostly around me wanting to practice in Michigan which has just about all the once AOA EM residencies in MI in process of ACGME status. So thought that my chances would still be good without taking both exams and possibly not doing as well on one or the other.

With more thought and advice, it seems I may need to take both.

I'm still considering taking both. My logic at first was mostly around me wanting to practice in Michigan which has just about all the once AOA EM residencies in MI in process of ACGME status. So thought that my chances would still be good without taking both exams and possibly not doing as well on one or the other.

Take both, even if you don't do well on the USMLE, when applying to AOA programs, they cannot see the score, unless the PDs specifically ask for it during the interviews (highly unlikely). If you do well on step 1, you'll open more doors and have a higher chance to match into either EM/IM.

Take both, even if you don't do well on the USMLE, when applying to AOA programs, they cannot see the score, unless the PDs specifically ask for it during the interviews (highly unlikely). If you do well on step 1, you'll open more doors and have a higher chance to match into either EM/IM.
By the time she's matching, it is likely that the majority of DO programs will have migrated to the NRMP, which requires both be reported.

Reactions: 3 users
So, people from my school have been re-posting on facebook this statement from NBOME that they will formally announce on Jan. 11th that COMLEX is now formally recognized for ACGME Residency Program and Subspecialty Fellowship Program Applications. What does this mean for someone on the fence about taking the USMLE? Is this just something that looks good on paper and will not translate to real-life? I guess I have a hard time believing that PD's will all suddenly become experts at deciphering COMLEX scores, but maybe I'm wrong.

So, people from my school have been re-posting on facebook this statement from NBOME that they will formally announce on Jan. 11th that COMLEX is now formally recognized for ACGME Residency Program and Subspecialty Fellowship Program Applications. What does this mean for someone on the fence about taking the USMLE? Is this just something that looks good on paper and will not translate to real-life? I guess I have a hard time believing that PD's will all suddenly become experts at deciphering COMLEX scores, but maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks for this bringing to my attention! I'm going to definitely do some more research on this!

Bump

Good luck! The Step 2 is totally unnecessary if you end up doing basically anything aside from EM, and even with EM, most programs consider it optional (the number of DOs that took Step 2 last year were very low, less than 50 if I recall). So anything else, Step 1. If you want EM, Step 2 if you've got the cash or are looking to max out your chances!

Its important to differentiate between step 2 CK and CS exams. CS is the one that very few DOs take, and rightfully so.

With respect to taking 2CK, many ACGME IM programs that I have contacted have told me that while level 2 is "enough," they strongly recommend taking step 2 CK. Several have told me they require it, including some community programs.

ACGME residencies recognize comlex. USMLE scores aren't required to interview or match at an ACGME program. Its just that many ACGME programs, especially big university programs, have so anti-DO bias and probably "require" USMLE scores. That's not the ACGME requiring them, that's an individual program. Obviously its going to be up to each individual student to decide if they want to pay for and take both exams in order to try and impress some of these programs that don't take the COMLEX seriously.

With the merger now, ACGME fellowhips do recognize the COMLEX and will accept DO residents into ACGME fellowhips. Obviously, those residents in osteopathic residencies only took COMLEX 1/2/3. And yet they are eligible for ACGME fellowships. We just had one of our residents this year accepted into an ACGME EM critical care fellowship in the very first year of pre-accredidation eligibility (you have to be preaccreditted for residents to be eligible for fellowships).

Not every place has an anti-DO bias, as many are led to believe. But it does still exist, and that puts students in a tough place to decide whether to take one or both exams.

Speaking as faculty leadership in an AOA program with ACGME preaccredidation, we certainly aren't going to ask or require students to take the USMLE to be considered once we are fully accreditted. We still plan on recruiting heavily amongst the DO schools and being "DO friendly" as possible. I think that's where alot of the prior AOA programs are going to find their niche in the match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good luck! The Step 2 is totally unnecessary if you end up doing basically anything aside from EM, and even with EM, most programs consider it optional (the number of DOs that took Step 2 last year were very low, less than 50 if I recall). So anything else, Step 1. If you want EM, Step 2 if you've got the cash or are looking to max out your chances!
I respectfully disagree with your comment about EM and step 2. I was told that to be competitive you need to outperform step 1 when taking step 2. This was from an attending that is involved in the interview process for an acgme residency here in the south. So, I would take step 2 and devote as much if not more time than you did on step 1.

I respectfully disagree with your comment about EM and step 2. I was told that to be competitive you need to outperform step 1 when taking step 2. This was from an attending that is involved in the interview process for an acgme residency here in the south. So, I would take step 2 and devote as much if not more time than you did on step 1.
My comment was, I believe, already corrected by others. You need to take Step 2 CK, not CS. I'll delete my prior comment to avoid any further confusion, I'd totally forgotten about it. It's the simulation portion that basically no DO takes, not the written.

My comment was, I believe, already corrected by others. You need to take Step 2 CK, not CS. I'll delete my prior comment to avoid any further confusion, I'd totally forgotten about it. It's the simulation portion that basically no DO takes, not the written.
understood. sorry about that.

You don't need to take usmle to match DO in MI.