oops! typo on PS = big problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dohgrl76

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just reading over my PS on AMCAS that I submitted back in July, to see how much I would need to change if I have to reapply, and I saw a typo!! i can't believe it, i dont know how many times I read over it, as well as had others look over it. The word was supposed to be "uninformed" but was typed "uniformed". great. will the adcoms realize it's a typo and ignore it?

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of ironic that you misspelled uninformed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Think of it this way, we're almost into February. There is no possible way to change it. If you do have to reapply, you should be rewriting it anyway. There's nothing you can do about it. It probably wasn't the reason you have yet to be fortunate this cycle. Don't do it next time.

I misspelled Aide (I wrote aid). I missed it around 50 times, my advisers and parents also missed it. Microsoft Word finally caught it about a month after i submitted it.............WTF

I misspelled Aide (I wrote aid). I missed it around 50 times, my advisers and parents also missed it. Microsoft Word finally caught it about a month after i submitted it.............WTF

haha, aww, yeah that's the problem with words that are misspelled how you want to use them, but spelled correctly for another use or meaning. hopefully if all those people missed it then the adcoms will too! :)

So I was just reading over my PS on AMCAS that I submitted back in July, to see how much I would need to change if I have to reapply, and I saw a typo!! i can't believe it, i dont know how many times I read over it, as well as had others look over it. The word was supposed to be "uninformed" but was typed "uniformed". great. will the adcoms realize it's a typo and ignore it?
Have you considered Caribbean?

:laugh:

Relax. Considering even Microsoft Word misses things and makes false accusations about spelling errors, I wouldn't worry over ONE typo. If anything, it might warrant an interview to ask what you meant. And then go from there.

I did the same thing...felt like an idiot when I found out before my first interview. :smack:
Not sure how much it really hurt me but there's nothing we can do about it now. Best of luck with the remainder of this cycle! :luck:

Contrary to popular belief, adcoms are not living, breathing human beings but actually computers that allow no room for error.

dohgrl76: ...blah blah blah uniformed patients blah blah...

ADCOM: *bzzt bzzt* uniformed patients...STRING INPUT DOES NOT COMPUTE *WHEEOHWHEEOH* Red alarms blazing. *BREAK FUNCTION READ_APPLICATION(dohgrl76.app()); DISCARD_APPLICATION(dohgrl76.app())*

Ahh, this post reminded me of how much I miss programming.

haha, thanks for all the stories and poking fun, it is a good reminder to relax about this whole process. sometimes i just feel like in today's society with so much advanced technology, it has raised the standard and expectations for near perfection. but we are still humans! :)

Yes, never look at writing after it's been turned in.

I had THREE typos. They were minor, but still, I had three (and two were in the correct name of a place on my work/activities section).

I have five acceptances to MD schools so far. It hasn't seem to hinder my app to much. But I spent a good two months in panic mode because of them.

Try to relax.

I spelled AIDS incorrectly as AIDs about a thousand times in my personal statement and other essays.

still got in.

your biggest "typo" was not applying to more schools! you can fix that.

I am sure what is meant would be more important than what was spelled.

One of the schools that I am interviewing at has us meet with an admissions dean to update/verify the info on our application. After looking at my AMCAS i noticed that I miswrote the name of an academic association when writing about an international conference that I presented a poster at (wrote "association" when it should have said "academy". I would like to correct this with them so that they don't think I am making up the organization and/or conference but I am also concerned that they would think I am careless for making this typing error on my AMCAS. What would you suggest I do?

I spelled AIDS incorrectly as AIDs about a thousand times in my personal statement and other essays.

still got in.

your biggest "typo" was not applying to more schools! you can fix that.

Thanks! I definitely plan to add more schools if I reapply, as well as complete my apps earlier, most of my secondaries were not completed until october/november. And check for typos ;)

Contrary to popular belief, adcoms are not living, breathing human beings but actually computers that allow no room for error.

dohgrl76: ...blah blah blah uniformed patients blah blah...

ADCOM: *bzzt bzzt* uniformed patients...STRING INPUT DOES NOT COMPUTE *WHEEOHWHEEOH* Red alarms blazing. *BREAK FUNCTION READ_APPLICATION(dohgrl76.app()); DISCARD_APPLICATION(dohgrl76.app())*

Ahh, this post reminded me of how much I miss programming.

lol.

I had a typo that made a sentence not make sense at all. Adcoms are humans and they skim when bored.

I was accepted to the only school I applied to, typo and all.