Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

OOS preferece

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by TKT01, 07.23.09.

1. TKT01

TKT01

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Is there any DO school that I should not even bother to apply as an OOS applicant, regardless of stats or anything?

I'm not even sure whether there's one or not, but I am just curious since I will be an OOS applicant for every DO schools.

If anyone knows one, let me know.
    Thank you!
  2. MarieMarie

MarieMarie

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    As far as I know, most of the public schools have an in-state preference.
    You can look at this:
    http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/2006statrpt/Documents/ASROME2006.pdf
    And get a general idea too. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't bother applying to the NJ school, TCOM, OU, or MSU as OOS. That Pacific Northwest school is verrrrrry skewed to people in the region, if I recall correctly.
  3. meganmarie

meganmarie

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    MSU has an in-state preference and pretty much weeds OOS'ers out by charing 60,000 + a year in tuition. I am from MI and applied to TCOM. I ended up getting an interview, but was waitlisted and never heard back. If you think you have good stats and want to apply to TCOM, I would. The other schools that have high in state pref. are OU and IU. Most get rejected from IU unless you are a resident or Indiana or have very strong ties to the state. OU has a sort of contract where you have to agree to stay in the state for a certain amount of time and practice after residency. Hope this helps and good luck! :luck:
  4. jkmph

jkmph Non ducor, duco

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I avoided Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, MSU and West Virginia for this reason. Here's the data if you want it though.

Website %OOS KCOM 79% SOMA 77% AZCOM 71% CCOM-MWU 43% DMU-COM 73% GA-PCOM OOS friendly KCUMB-COM 84% LECOM 67% LECOM 66% LMU-DCOM MSU-COM 11% NSU-COM 56% NYCOM 35% OSUCOM 12% OUCOM 13% PNWUCOM PCOM 49% PSCOM 53% RVU-COM TOUROCOM-NY TOUROCOM-CA 47% TUNCOM 89% UMDNJ-SOM 2 UNE-COM 76% TCOM 10% VCOM 65% Western UCOMP 69% WVSOM 44%
  5. ODorDO

ODorDO

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    i believe people avoid applying to WVCOM as OOS is because of its ridiculous tuition price for OOS students, not because its IS/OOS bias.
  6. TKT01

TKT01

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you everyone for your input. So there are at least 5 DO schools that I should avoid applying as an OOS..

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal