OOS to in state status by dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoMD4sure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to re-alive this thread and update list for 2016.

Any folks can help who attend other dental schools which are not on this list and have gone from OOS to instate.

Also if you post any tips how you did it?

The list I have found is

VCU- NO IN-State
OSU- After 1 year for everyone
Maryland- After 1 year
UConn- Yes After 1 year
Indiana- No In-State
NJ- Possible Immediate In-state
Florida- Not likely need confirmation
UC (Colorado): no change of residency
UB (Buffalo): yes after 1 yr, or can buy property for in-state first year
Indiana: no change of residency
UIC: no change of residency (unless you marry an IL resident)
Iowa: no change of residency
Louisville: no change of residency
Kentucky: no change of residency
UNC: yes after 1 yr
Maryland: hard to after 1 yr
Michigan: no change of residency
Oklahoma: no change of residency
Pitt: Quite hard after 1 yr
UNLV: yes after 1 yr
UMDNJ: can change immediately
Temple: possibly after 1 yr, also heard next to impossible
UCLA: yes after 1 yr
UCSF: yes after 1 yr
Texas: no change of residency
UW: possible, but it may be difficult and take a couple years
Stony Brook: Yes after 1 yr

Members don't see this ad.

The ones that are 'quite hard' or 'next to impossible'. What does that mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that. It is from a different old post. This is not my posting. I copied and pasted to see if we can make this more current for some of us applying for class of 2017 somewhere. I did not realize it myself just now when you pointed it out. I think it said it is much harder to go fro OOS to instate now at Maryland so avoid it unless you can pay all 4 years OOS.

You have Maryland twice, with contradicting information.

Maryland is actually pretty easy to gain in state status.

So I am also scoping out LECOM. What a hot location. I use to live in Florida for about 2 years. Tuition is same for OOS or instate. If one lives frugally, again don't buy a mac book pro and drink at the bars LOL 4 year came out to about $305K

What you guys think? Is that ok. I am trying to stay under $300K but they have problem based teaching and the staff are super kind. Other places I have heard horror stories. The point is to become a good dentist with a good heart and serve the community as well as be a productive member of our society.

Other schools I did the calculation if 1st year OOS then instate there after here are the totals for 4 years:
UCONN about $262476
U Buffalo about $275820
UMDNJ about $280212

Texas San Antonio about $227572 but all 4 years OOS

Any ideas or tips? Any other schools recommended for OOS but easy instate after 1 year.

Florida does not offer in-state tuition at all.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured. I took University of Florida off my list, but what about LECOM?

They have great reviews and nice location. But it is more of the expensive ones on my list as you can see above I posted.

Any ideas or tips welcome.

Florida does not offer in-state tuition at all.

I figured. I took University of Florida off my list, but what about LECOM?

They have great reviews and nice location. But it is more of the expensive ones on my list as you can see above I posted.

Any ideas or tips welcome.

LECOM has the same rates for in-state and OOS.

Yup, I picked up on that too. they are private, but have really really good reviews and a hot location too.
I have never heard someone call Bradenton a "hot location". Unless you mean, like literally hot :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Hey how do you deal with a dentist who promised to give a recommendation for my instate school after I did 100 hours and no reply. It is so frustrating. And unprofessional on the dentists part. He make some sneaky comments, but I brushed it off. I just stayed out of his way, but looks like he will stall me, but perhaps he needs a little more time.

I mean its a beach and there must be hot babes their in the hot heat hahaha LOL
Haha I live like an hour away from LECOM. You may be a little disappointed in what you actually find. Pretty sure the median age in Bradenton is 85.

But yeah, to stay on topic. UF will not allow you change residency and you must have lived in FL for at least one year prior to the start of classes. There are also a couple of other ways to establish residency prior to applying, such as working as a public school teacher in the state of FL.

I am applying to LECOM and not University of Florida anymore because they want microbiology upper 300 level and I have Bio medical microbiology 209. I have plenty of other schools to apply to so I just took florida off the list. LECOM is one tuition rate so thats good.

Any tips on shadowing?

I am going to catch a dentist before he opens his practice in person tomorrow. I am going to dress well with perfume I meant cologne on and you know dress to impress. JK.. Show him the fake money LOL

I heard going in person is best. Is this true for shadowing purposes?

Haha I live like an hour away from LECOM. You may be a little disappointed in what you actually find. Pretty sure the median age in Bradenton is 85.

But yeah, to stay on topic. UF will not allow you change residency and you must have lived in FL for at least one year prior to the start of classes. There are also a couple of other ways to establish residency prior to applying, such as working as a public school teacher in the state of FL.

I date a 85 year old. I remember this one grandma I saw, I kid yo not, she had a perfect toosh. One that you can say wow. Her skin was taut. And think, if she is loaded with $$$ then dental school is set :) haha

I am just kidding guys! But the old lady with awesome toosh is 100% real.

Last edited:
Hey how do you deal with a dentist who promised to give a recommendation for my instate school after I did 100 hours and no reply. It is so frustrating. And unprofessional on the dentists part. He make some sneaky comments, but I brushed it off. I just stayed out of his way, but looks like he will stall me, but perhaps he needs a little more time.
Go talk in person?

I meant to find another dentist to shadow go in person because over the phone they say they will call back but I am having no luck. I might just do 40 hours somewhere else and see if i can get a LOR instead of this jackass I who lied.

Go talk in person?

how about Colorado Dental School? Anyone go there and get in state after being OOS 1st year?

Guys I found a dentist today who will easily write me a LOR and call me to shadow and actually teach me. It was an awesome day. Diety must be watching the gracious nurse.

And, again I thank everyone for answering questions and supporting each other. Awesome peepz on here so far.

Man I wish I could change my screenname because as we can see I wasn't 4 sure :)

It's all good. I think Maryland is actually one of the easier ones. You just have to have lived there for a year. But you have to have a reason for being there other than solely for school. So advice was to join a church or get involved with the community somehow. This is just word of mouth though.
What if my mom lives there? Lol