open psychiatry PGY1 spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clipperfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of any PGY1 spots available?

And when do they usually become available after match and scramble? Everyone says keep looking and be patient......

Members don't see this ad.

Considering intern year starts in about one month, you may want to consider planning to do something else

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry....not much to help now. You hopefully have a backup plan.... getting any first year spot is very tough now..... contact as many programs as you could and tell them to keep you on their radar...sometimes people drop out in July. Good Luck.

Sorry to hear about your trouble finding a spot. Unfortunately the pickings were slim for scrambling or finding an open spot this year, so you're not the only one.
A lot of people suggest trying to get a position working in research for a year, so you might want to see if anyone at your medical school can help you locate a research position. Make sure you talk to your financial aid folks about how to get a forbearance or deferral on your loans for the year too.
Good luck. :luck:

If I could do the ranking and interviews all over again, I would rank every school I interviewed. I recently realized I have to get all new LORs and start that ERAS application all over again. Right now I would take the worst program in the country than do that all over again. I wish I felt like this in Jan/Feb.....
oh well-
I wonder if SSRIs will give you a good mood whenyour not depressed but just feel down?

Don't beat yourself up. I think a lot of people were caught off-guard at how hard it was to match or scramble this year. I canceled several interviews because I was tired of traveling (especially after getting a flat tire in a strange city on one interview). I had been told that psych is a "buyer's market" and believed that my #1 choice was surely going to take me based on what the PD had said to me on interview day. I regretted every cancellation when I received the dreaded "You did not match" email. Hindsight is 20/20!

I'm not sure if you need to get all new letters, but it would surely help if you can find someone to do research with or some other medical-related activity over this next year so you can use that person as a new letter writer. Try not to lose hope. Many others have experienced this too and yet go on to end up in good spots the next year.

Program Information: Training Program:pitt County Memorial Hospital/Brody School of MediTraining Director/Contact Person:Diana J. Antonacci, MD/Cynthia Martin, Program CooMailing Address:905 John's Hopkins DriveCity:GreenvilleState/Prov., Zip:North Carolina 27834 Contact Phone:252.744.2663 - Cynthia Martin Fax:[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]919.869.1511 - Attn. Cynthia Martin .Email Address:[email protected] Followship Type:Other Start Date: 2009-01-07 00:00:00 Description:Immediate opening for a PGY1 resident in general psychiatry. See our web site for program details. http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/psychiatry/index.cfm Interested candidates should fax or email the following information: 1) CV and letter of interest, 2) pers Last Updated:06/26/2009

They updated this today.

thanks for the update! I actually just saw that too this morning. I sent my info this morning; lets see what happens......

Hi

you all said that you saw this on APA site. Can you please give directions to locate postings on that site in the future? I was trying to find it but do not know where to look. Thank you

Asking for a friend:

An opening was listed on residentswap at the on the 26th - same day as the Carolina spot mentioned earlier on this thread. Now a second opening has been listed on residentswap. Does anyone know where this second opening is at?