open surgery during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cage92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i think now that all surgery become laparoscopic(lap chol ,adrenalectomy,nissen,colectomy)
so what about learning open surgery during residency? a pgy5 nowadays doesnt know how to do open surgery in case of trauma? learning during residency is only for minimally invasive procedure>

Members don't see this ad.

i think now that all surgery become laparoscopic(lap chol ,adrenalectomy,nissen,colectomy)
so what about learning open surgery during residency? a pgy5 nowadays doesnt know how to do open surgery in case of trauma? learning during residency is only for minimally invasive procedure>
There are still plenty of open surgeries; the American Board of Surgery currently requires that residents also know how to do the open procedure. Remember not every patient is a candidate for a laparoscopic procedure nor are all procedures candidates for a minimally invasive approach.

Reactions: 1 users
just out of curiosity, as an attending surgeon, do you have the option of performing your operations open?

i know colectomies are frequently performed laproscopically nowadays, but the surgeon i follow usually does them open. i am wondering if preference takes precedence in other operations.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just out of curiosity, as an attending surgeon, do you have the option of performing your operations open?

i know colectomies are frequently performed laproscopically nowadays, but the surgeon i follow usually does them open. i am wondering if preference takes precedence in other operations.
Of course you have the option of doing them open rather than laparoscopically.

At some point though, as "advanced laparoscopic skills" such as colectomies become more common and standard of care, those who don't do them are going to find it more difficult to compete in the market place.

You may consider that the attending you are working with may have a legitimate reason for preferring an open approach for certain patients rather than personal preference.

You have the option of doing it via whatever approach you want. There are still reasons to do cases open, just as there are reasons to do a case laparoscopically when possible. Keep in mind that patient comorbidities, prior surgical history, disease process and other factors all contribute to the decision to approach a case in a certain way. What's best for one patient may not be what's best for the next.

Surgeon comfort also is a factor--if the surgeon does not do a high volume of case x via the lap approach, s/he may be more particular about which patients to do laparoscopically until a certain level of comfort is achieved to begin expanding to cases that may be more difficult via that approach. There are also some old school guys out there who just don't want to learn new techniques and plan to just do everything open until they retire.

I've also had a few (usually older) patients decline a lap procedure for various reasons

@SurgeDO : you should ask the surgeon you are working with if he has a reason to do a case via a certain approach for your own education. you may get a "I don't do/not comfortable with lap colons" for a response, or you may get a "the patient has a history of x, y, z and I am concerned about a, b, c". Sometimes something you didn't consider may actually be a significant factor in the surgeon's decision. Often times other specialties don't appreciate some of the nuances we consider when evaluating a patient, because they don't always know the anatomic or other surgery-specific issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Of course you have the option of doing them open rather than laparoscopically.

At some point though, as "advanced laparoscopic skills" such as colectomies become more common and standard of care, those who don't do them are going to find it more difficult to compete in the market place.

You may consider that the attending you are working with may have a legitimate reason for preferring an open approach for certain patients rather than personal preference.

You have the option of doing it via whatever approach you want. There are still reasons to do cases open, just as there are reasons to do a case laparoscopically when possible. Keep in mind that patient comorbidities, prior surgical history, disease process and other factors all contribute to the decision to approach a case in a certain way. What's best for one patient may not be what's best for the next.

Surgeon comfort also is a factor--if the surgeon does not do a high volume of case x via the lap approach, s/he may be more particular about which patients to do laparoscopically until a certain level of comfort is achieved to begin expanding to cases that may be more difficult via that approach. There are also some old school guys out there who just don't want to learn new techniques and plan to just do everything open until they retire.

I've also had a few (usually older) patients decline a lap procedure for various reasons

@SurgeDO : you should ask the surgeon you are working with if he has a reason to do a case via a certain approach for your own education. you may get a "I don't do/not comfortable with lap colons" for a response, or you may get a "the patient has a history of x, y, z and I am concerned about a, b, c". Sometimes something you didn't consider may actually be a significant factor in the surgeon's decision. Often times other specialties don't appreciate some of the nuances we consider when evaluating a patient, because they don't always know the anatomic or other surgery-specific issues.

Good advice. I appreciate it.

Plastics is still pretty open. Also, so are Caesarians.