OpenAnesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My bro told me a story that boils my blood.

I hope you all spread the word.

OpenAnesthesia was invented by this absolutely brilliant anesthesiologist during his second year residency. In fact, my bro - who knows the bloke - said he is the smartest guy he ever knew. He said he was sitting with him one day, having just a normal conversation, while this guy was typing on the computer and carrying on a great conversation with my bro - totally engaged. And after an hour, this guy closed his computer and said "just wrote a grant proposal. I'm glad that's done!" My brother had no idea he was even doing anything.

Anyway, this guy created this website, and wrote the code. He eventually gave the rights to IARS. IARS then turns around and makes Dr Nemergut the Editor-in-Chief, perhaps because the creator was still a resident? Who knows...

Anyway, this Dr Nemergut doesn't seem to want to give much credit to the creator. It is all very strange. And why would IARS do that?

The EGO on some people....

Members don't see this ad.

No good deed goes unpunished. One should never give up the rights to anything without fair compensation. Are you sure this is not the case? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
My bro told me a story that boils my blood.

I hope you all spread the word.

OpenAnesthesia was invented by this absolutely brilliant anesthesiologist during his second year residency. In fact, my bro - who knows the bloke - said he is the smartest guy he ever knew. He said he was sitting with him one day, having just a normal conversation, while this guy was typing on the computer and carrying on a great conversation with my bro - totally engaged. And after an hour, this guy closed his computer and said "just wrote a grant proposal. I'm glad that's done!" My brother had no idea he was even doing anything.

Anyway, this guy created this website, and wrote the code. He eventually gave the rights to IARS. IARS then turns around and makes Dr Nemergut the Editor-in-Chief, perhaps because the creator was still a resident? Who knows...

Anyway, this Dr Nemergut doesn't seem to want to give much credit to the creator. It is all very strange. And why would IARS do that?

The EGO on some people....

Why did said resident give up the rights to the IARS then? Seems to me IARS can do what they want at that point. From what I know of Ed Nemergut he is a leader in education-- recently came to our institution to give grand rounds on the topic of anesthesia resident education. I have a feeling we're missing a big part of the story. The wikipedia page talks about the guy who wrote the code...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAnesthesia

I don't know anything about who invented what at openanesthesia.org or who deserves the credit for it, but I briefly knew and worked for Dr Nemergut as a resident visiting UVA for ~3 total months, and he seemed to be nothing less than a good guy who cared about residents. I'd be surprised if he really took advantage of anyone just to hog all the glory.

Why did said resident give up the rights to the IARS then? Seems to me IARS can do what they want at that point. From what I know of Ed Nemergut he is a leader in education-- recently came to our institution to give grand rounds on the topic of anesthesia resident education. I have a feeling we're missing a big part of the story. The wikipedia page talks about the guy who wrote the code...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAnesthesia

First off, you can't believe wiki. I wrote the edits on Nov 29th. You should see what they said before that edit. Then someone edited them after this (see the December edits). The recent edit was from my edit. I would guess Dr Nemergut is the one editing my edits giving him the credit. I find it interesting that I put Dr Thiele first and listed Dr Nemergut second, and "someone" came along and edited to make sure Dr Nemergut was listed first. Very strange.....

As far as Dr Nemergut talking about it...of course he is going to say he invented it. In that article you post, he doesn't even mention Dr Thiele, who wrote the freaking website. Why doesn't he even say this? Even if it was an idea they both came up with, don't you think credit is due to the guy who put it together and made it an actual reality?

We need to hear from Dr Thiele about why he gave up the rights to IARS.

How does one write a website that is based on the wiki engine? (written long ago, by the way)

And if the creator that your bro is talking about is Dr. Thiele, then he has cowritten several papers with Dr. Nemergut, is credited with being a creator, is on the podcast, and is on the editorial board.

I learned that in 2 minutes on the website.

As with most things in life, if you create something and give it someone else, it's usually for cash.

I have to ask -

If we haven't heard from this Dr Thiele character about this, why are you making an angry stink about it ?

If the creator of any web site isn't getting the credit or cash he thinks he deserves, that's his problem, isn't it? If he doesn't care enough about it to gripe to the public, why should we care at all?

What's your involvement in the project, and why are you making Wiki edits on the subject?

Reactions: 1 user
Dr. Nemergut is one of the more interesting program directors I met on the interview trail. It's clear to me that he has dedicated a large amount of time to his many educational projects and my guess is that your information is almost certainly biased. I any case, Steve Jobs 'stole' the mouse and visual interaction software from Xerox because those people at Xerox didn't know the value of what they had.

Their loss, our gain.

I have to ask -

If we haven't heard from this Dr Thiele character about this, why are you making an angry stink about it ?

If the creator of any web site isn't getting the credit or cash he thinks he deserves, that's his problem, isn't it? If he doesn't care enough about it to gripe to the public, why should we care at all?

What's your involvement in the project, and why are you making Wiki edits on the subject?

Like most things in life, truth if probably more complicated than what is told.

I have absolutely no involvement in the project. I have made wiki edits, mostly to piss off the person that keeps putting Dr Nemergut's name first as if it was his brilliant idea and creation.

I don't think you should care much about it actually...I just found it interesting.

People also give up writes or whatever because of being naive. Growing up happens until we are 100, and with each new life experience and challenge, we learn from mistakes because it is a new time facing a situation.

I have never posted anything here before (and probably never will again) but I wanted to point out something pretty obvious that no one else has said.

I guess I should say that I do not know Nemergut or Thiel and have never met them but I have used OpenAnesthesia since I was a resident.

My point: I do not know if anyone saw OpenAnesthesia back in 2009, but it SUCKED. It was a joke. Random articles and a couple of crappy podcasts with Nemergut using what sounded like my gradnmother's cell phone from 1994 to record interviews. What did the IARS allegedly buy from Thiel? What did Thiel invent? The name "OpenAnesthesia"?!?!?! Because there really wasn't much else there.

These days, who wouldn't agree that OpenAnesthesia is pretty cool? I used to watch the TEE videos all the time when I was on cardiac at our VA. The questions are awesome. The App is sweet. I used it study for the boards last year and would recommend that to any resident - mostly because it is FREE. I guess they have OB lectures now, too.

Anyway, I don't know if was Thiel or Steve Jobs that "invented" it (my bro told me that Steve Jobs actually invented it in his PACU after surgery), but if it was Nemergut who made it what it is today, I'd buy him a beer.

Peace.