Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

opening a clinic

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by BolderNewfy, 07.19.12.

1. BolderNewfy

BolderNewfy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Anyone know if you need to be licensed or board certified to open an ambulatory clinic. Ive done a bit of research and from what Ive found it seems to depend on what state you plan on doing this but it seems you need to be a licensed physician, or the clinic needs to be overseen by a licensed physician. Anyone have any insight on this...

2. DrAwsome

DrAwsome

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you definitely need to be licensed, and likely be BC in whatever specialty you are trying to open the clinic. I would think as a PGY-2 you have a license, so technically feasible but not sure people would go see someone who is not BC.

3. daru1

daru1

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    You need to be licensed. However, you do not need to be board-eligible or board-certified to start/work your own clinic. In some states -- including the one I am in -- insurance companies will accept a non-BE/BC psychiatrist, however some states won't allow this. All it takes is a phone call to the insurance company rep for your region to find the answer to this question.

4. BolderNewfy

BolderNewfy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Im not sure I would necessarily even work as a clinician in the clinic but would simply be the business owner and hire PA's/NP's and physicians as the clinicians.

5. DrAwsome

DrAwsome

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you have the capital, go for it. You could do a full time with your brother dentist perhaps and offer primary/urgent care medical and dental services

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    Buy lots of insurance. Your name will be on every patient lawsuit in multiple capacities -- supervising physician, business owner, prescribing physician, referring physician, even if you personally don't see a single patient.

7. HIJay

HIJay

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    what i recommend is if you have the capital, invest in starting a urgent clinic instead of building and starting one, not as a business owner, but as a pure investor. reap the profits and not necessary have to deal with the management if you do not want to.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal