opening a clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BolderNewfy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if you need to be licensed or board certified to open an ambulatory clinic. Ive done a bit of research and from what Ive found it seems to depend on what state you plan on doing this but it seems you need to be a licensed physician, or the clinic needs to be overseen by a licensed physician. Anyone have any insight on this...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if you need to be licensed or board certified to open an ambulatory clinic. Ive done a bit of research and from what Ive found it seems to depend on what state you plan on doing this but it seems you need to be a licensed physician, or the clinic needs to be overseen by a licensed physician. Anyone have any insight on this...

I think you definitely need to be licensed, and likely be BC in whatever specialty you are trying to open the clinic. I would think as a PGY-2 you have a license, so technically feasible but not sure people would go see someone who is not BC.

You need to be licensed. However, you do not need to be board-eligible or board-certified to start/work your own clinic. In some states -- including the one I am in -- insurance companies will accept a non-BE/BC psychiatrist, however some states won't allow this. All it takes is a phone call to the insurance company rep for your region to find the answer to this question.

Im not sure I would necessarily even work as a clinician in the clinic but would simply be the business owner and hire PA's/NP's and physicians as the clinicians.

Im not sure I would necessarily even work as a clinician in the clinic but would simply be the business owner and hire PA's/NP's and physicians as the clinicians.

If you have the capital, go for it. You could do a full time with your brother dentist perhaps and offer primary/urgent care medical and dental services

Buy lots of insurance. Your name will be on every patient lawsuit in multiple capacities -- supervising physician, business owner, prescribing physician, referring physician, even if you personally don't see a single patient.

what i recommend is if you have the capital, invest in starting a urgent clinic instead of building and starting one, not as a business owner, but as a pure investor. reap the profits and not necessary have to deal with the management if you do not want to.