About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opening a clinic

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by BolderNewfy, Jul 19, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. BolderNewfy

BolderNewfy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Anyone know if you need to be licensed or board certified to open an ambulatory clinic. Ive done a bit of research and from what Ive found it seems to depend on what state you plan on doing this but it seems you need to be a licensed physician, or the clinic needs to be overseen by a licensed physician. Anyone have any insight on this...
  2. DrAwsome

DrAwsome

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you definitely need to be licensed, and likely be BC in whatever specialty you are trying to open the clinic. I would think as a PGY-2 you have a license, so technically feasible but not sure people would go see someone who is not BC.
  3. daru1

daru1

SDN 7+ Year Member
    You need to be licensed. However, you do not need to be board-eligible or board-certified to start/work your own clinic. In some states -- including the one I am in -- insurance companies will accept a non-BE/BC psychiatrist, however some states won't allow this. All it takes is a phone call to the insurance company rep for your region to find the answer to this question.
  4. BolderNewfy

BolderNewfy

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Im not sure I would necessarily even work as a clinician in the clinic but would simply be the business owner and hire PA's/NP's and physicians as the clinicians.
  5. DrAwsome

DrAwsome

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you have the capital, go for it. You could do a full time with your brother dentist perhaps and offer primary/urgent care medical and dental services
  6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    Buy lots of insurance. Your name will be on every patient lawsuit in multiple capacities -- supervising physician, business owner, prescribing physician, referring physician, even if you personally don't see a single patient.
  7. HIJay

HIJay

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    what i recommend is if you have the capital, invest in starting a urgent clinic instead of building and starting one, not as a business owner, but as a pure investor. reap the profits and not necessary have to deal with the management if you do not want to.