Navy Operational/GMO Clerkships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTruckGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year and was thinking about an operational/GMO clerkship if I can fit it in this summer (after step & before rotations). You used to be able to do flight surgery in Florida and Marine stuff at Lejeune (which would be my two top choices for GMO if I had to do one), but I can't find information on that anymore. Now all I can find is research clerkships, which is not really something I'm keen on right now.

1) Did any of y'all do one?
2) Are they useful in any way?
3) How long are they? I think anything longer than 3 weeks and I probably can't do one.
4) Should I just be lazy after step until 3rd year rotations start?
5) If I shouldn't be lazy, anyone know how to set one up since the HPSP office took down the info on them? Should I just e-mail the HPSP office about it?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

There were some USUHS students at flight surgeon school. They attended a few classes, did a presentation, stuck around for a little while but that was about it. I wasn't aware of what else they did. I guess these student had an interest in RAM, or maybe they were just looking for a neato experience. Why would you want to do a GMO rotation? If you are still in medical school, medical knowledge should be your goal, not MEDPROS and spreadsheets. Advice: Pass step 1, then take a vacation and have fun before rotations start.

Advice: Pass step 1, then take a vacation and have fun before rotations start.
This is absolutely what the OP should do (I explored the Northeast coast, very beautiful in the summer time). You're not going to have any meaningful time to do a "GMO" rotation. You might be able to pull something like that off during your 4th year, for an entire 4-week rotation (that's still not a ton of time).

The other thing you can do is just concentrate on finishing medical school, do well, land your pgy1 spot, do well there, then go do a 2- or 3-yr GMO "rotation."

Members don't see this ad :)
A GMO clerkship is basically an administrative rotation, flight physical or sick call for young active duty folks. It's a complete waste of time as a medical student. As a third and fourth year medical student, focus on your clinical rotation. If you envision doing operational or flight medicine, primary care specialty (family, pediatrics, obstetrics, internal med) and dermatology rotations should be high on your priority. These are the types of patients you'll be seeing on a GMO tour. Once you graduate, if still interested in GMO/operational, do a transitional year, pass step III and get your unrestricted medical license and you'll be off to GMO land.

What y'all said makes a lot of sense. And I think right now I still have the energy to contemplate such things. After the final push of step 1 studying, I might hate myself for giving myself extra work instead of relaxing. I guess I'll put in for school orders.

Thanks