Ophtho Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which did you choose (or plan on choosing) for ophtho intern year?

• Medical

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Surgical

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RockDoc7

Living the dream of the Golden Mean.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to hear a bit of feedback and thoughts regarding the intern/transitional year prior to ophtho residency. More specifically, the choice between a medical or sugrical intern year.

From what I understand thus far, it is a choice one makes without, seemingly, too much affect to oneself when entering into residency?

Even further, what is each one like?

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

You probably should include "Transitional Year" as a 3rd choice.

My ignorance befalls me as I do/did not realize that a "transitional year" is considered separate. Care to help elaborate?

It seems I cannot edit the poll :/ My apologies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to hear a bit of feedback and thoughts regarding the intern/transitional year prior to ophtho residency. More specifically, the choice between a medical or sugrical intern year.

From what I understand thus far, it is a choice one makes without, seemingly, too much affect to oneself when entering into residency?

Even further, what is each one like?

Cheers.

A surgical year is overkill. No need to put yourself through that.

The transitional internship I did consisted of 5 medicine ward months, one outpatient clinic month, one ER month, and five months of electives.

Transitional years are variable. Most I've heard of are still medicine heavy, but you can mix in some surgery.

Most transitionals have 3-4 months wards, 1-2 months of ER, 1-3 unit months, some nightfloat and sometimes surgery with some elective months for exploration. They are considered easier than either medicine or surgery internships and less is typically expected of the intern. I was in the camp that intern year is pretty much useless, but now that I'm finishing intern year I have to admit its been a valuable experience. I still think (as do my attendings) that it doesn't really offer much practical skills to future eye docs. I was lucky. My Ty has 4 months of surgery and I got pretty comfortable in the OR. All bread and butter surgeries with no floor work (handled by the PAs)

how did you manage to not get floor work?

PAs write notes, PA student program is involved too and they give preference to those kids for H&Ps, exams, etc. The TYs who are interested put lines in, attend cases, minor ops, ortho cases, ophtho cases (mostly cataract), surgical clinic (1-2 patients a day 2x weekly). It's pretty chill. Almost all surgical floor work for basic lap choly, lap appy, hemicolectomy stuff is handled by medicine or the PAs. Medicine admits a ton of surgical cases for preop. The TYs on surgery are basically free extra labor.

So as far as preparing for PGY-2 and beyond, do you guys think a TY is adequate or do you really lose out on some valuable (yet not as enjoyable) experiences not doing a normal intern year?

So as far as preparing for PGY-2 and beyond, do you guys think a TY is adequate or do you really lose out on some valuable (yet not as enjoyable) experiences not doing a normal intern year?

There is no "normal" intern year. It is well known that internship will help very little when it comes to gaining ophthalmology knowledge and exposure - that's what the subsequent three years of ophthalmology are for.

Shoot for the easiest year, in the location that works best for you.

The laid back programs are very competitive. I fell to 7th on my list, after matching at my 3rd for ophtho.

Also, why did a pre-med start this poll? You have bigger fish to fry than trying to figure out what you want to do for internship, my friend.

You lose nothing. Pick something easy.

My intern year was the best year of my life (so far).

All you lose is a lot of sleep doing a tough IM or gen surg year. Keep it easy and you'll have time to explore outside interests (research, fishing, hiking, biking, whatever). Even a "cush" TY is pretty time consuming.

Also, why did a pre-med start this poll? You have bigger fish to fry than trying to figure out what you want to do for internship, my friend.

Ahh yes, I was wondering if/when the berating comments would occur based on my status. A valid question nonetheless. As one who is potentially interested in the field of ophtho I am well aware and feel adequately well researched on the goings-on about the field via the several posts and threads on SDN as well as general Google searches.

However, I had a basic question to further my understanding on the intern/transitional year that ophtho must go through. What better place than to post on SDN to have a friendly conversation with those who have already gone through it? If you believe that I am unaware of my "bigger fish to fry" you would be sadly mistaken and harshly judgmental. As a non-trad, I am quite cognizant of the long road ahead for me. So for me to change careers it seems quite wise to get the most information I can to make the most educated decision in said regards.

Thank you all for the replies, it truly is appreciated as I believe I am gaining a better understanding of the intern/transitional year.

Ahh yes, I was wondering if/when the berating comments would occur based on my status. A valid question nonetheless. As one who is potentially interested in the field of ophtho I am well aware and feel adequately well researched on the goings-on about the field via the several posts and threads on SDN as well as general Google searches.

However, I had a basic question to further my understanding on the intern/transitional year that ophtho must go through. What better place than to post on SDN to have a friendly conversation with those who have already gone through it? If you believe that I am unaware of my "bigger fish to fry" you would be sadly mistaken and harshly judgmental. As a non-trad, I am quite cognizant of the long road ahead for me. So for me to change careers it seems quite wise to get the most information I can to make the most educated decision in said regards.

Thank you all for the replies, it truly is appreciated as I believe I am gaining a better understanding of the intern/transitional year.

Well said, although the first couple of years in medical school will quickly divert your attention. Ophtho is a great field and its wise to show early interest. Intern year is really an afterthought though until 4th year and shouldn't be a focus beyond a passing curiosity. Good luck with acceptance to med school. Enjoy life while you still can!

Well said, although the first couple of years in medical school will quickly divert your attention. Ophtho is a great field and its wise to show early interest. Intern year is really an afterthought though until 4th year and shouldn't be a focus beyond a passing curiosity. Good luck with acceptance to med school. Enjoy life while you still can!

Thanks. That does make sense that it would be more of an after thought until 4th year due to the early matching for ophtho; hadn't thought of that ha. I certainly have no doubt that my attention will be diverted in a multitude of directions yet unknown to me.

I do have an interest in ophtho and from what I understand, the earlier the better. But for now, I can keep the aforementioned year as a "passing curiosity." And yes, I am definitely enjoying life ... whilst I can :)

Sorry, but that was not a "berating comment." If you thought so, well, that's unfortunate. You seem like a nice guy so I'll stop there.

RestoreSight's post pretty much sums it up. Asking this question should in no way, shape or form affect your decision to enter ophthalmology. It's like asking about the difference between black beans or pinto beans before you even decide you want mexican food for dinner. You are simply way too many steps ahead of the game, and asking about a step that is realistically of zero relevance to a pre-med.

Good luck.

Sorry, but that was not a "berating comment." If you thought so, well, that's unfortunate. You seem like a nice guy so I'll stop there.

RestoreSight's post pretty much sums it up. Asking this question should in no way, shape or form affect your decision to enter ophthalmology. It's like asking about the difference between black beans or pinto beans before you even decide you want mexican food for dinner. You are simply way too many steps ahead of the game, and asking about a step that is realistically of zero relevance to a pre-med.

Good luck.

Understood and appreciated. My intent was certainly not to have any sway on my decision for ophtho based on intern year knowledge, was just curious. My apologies for jumping to the "berating" conclusion.

There is a lot of important stuff that you could possibly learn during intern year and an intern year with a lot of electives, like a transitional year, would probably let you structure your intern year to make the most of it.

The electives I'd take if I had to do it over again are: rheumatology, neurology, neuro-radiology. (you could consider ENT, pathology, endo or ID). And then I'd try to just generally get more familiar with medicine and peds. We did have to admit patients to ophtho during my residency and those patients weren't always as healthy as they first appeared to be.

There is a lot of important stuff that you could possibly learn during intern year and an intern year with a lot of electives, like a transitional year, would probably let you structure your intern year to make the most of it.

The electives I'd take if I had to do it over again are: rheumatology, neurology, neuro-radiology. (you could consider ENT, pathology, endo or ID). And then I'd try to just generally get more familiar with medicine and peds. We did have to admit patients to ophtho during my residency and those patients weren't always as healthy as they first appeared to be.

Wouldn't a medicine prelim year be better then? You do multiple ICU months if you are a med prelim. Plus 3-4 months of general IM in-pt rotations. You have a few night float months, though, that suck.

What was your transitional year like?

While I agree that there is a lot of important stuff you could possibly learn as an intern, it will no longer be important 5 years later. I did a TY at a private hospital that was likely one of the most chill imaginable. I was able to do 1 month of ophtho at the nearby university program that was a good month to prepare for residency. Everything else was of little/no use during my subsequent residency. I was well rested and ready to work my butt off for 3 years of ophtho residency, and that was much more important than admitting hundreds of patients with COPD or CHF exacerbations.