Ophtho residency--does research matter if you don't publish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merlin0082

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a question in relation to completing research before applying to ophtho residency..

I was basically told by an attending that I could do research with him, but due to my limited time, I would probably not be able to get on a paper.

Is this still useful to do, even if I can't publish in the field? If so, how much time (weeks) is necessary to consider this a substantial experience?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read a few of your threads.

I know it is stressful to think about the application process, but IMO,
how you go about doing something is as important as what you end up doing.

The point of research is not to get publications. You will not get a publication in
four weeks. That said, it does not mean you should not pick up a project.
Being involved in a research project has many benefits - including the ability
to form a hypothesis, formulate a study, evaluate your hypothesis, analyze data,
and read journals critically.

In four weeks, you may be able to write a case report.
In four weeks, you can do an away.

You need to ask yourself if you are doing the project just for an application boost or for
your own interest. Interviewers will pick up on this difference very quickly during your
interview process.

So, to answer your question, yes research matters even if you don't get published.

I've read a few of your threads.

I know it is stressful to think about the application process, but IMO,
how you go about doing something is as important as what you end up doing.

The point of research is not to get publications. You will not get a publication in
four weeks. That said, it does not mean you should not pick up a project.
Being involved in a research project has many benefits - including the ability
to form a hypothesis, formulate a study, evaluate your hypothesis, analyze data,
and read journals critically.

In four weeks, you may be able to write a case report.
In four weeks, you can do an away.

You need to ask yourself if you are doing the project just for an application boost or for
your own interest. Interviewers will pick up on this difference very quickly during your
interview process.

So, to answer your question, yes research matters even if you don't get published.

Generally agree, but the point of research IS to publish. Lets imagine Darwin or Einstein had decided not published. History would be far different.

You can tout the experience on the application and during the interview, but its hard to imagine a PD will be impressed by a 4 week research "experience." Better to do a clinical away and impress them by working hard, reading Wills, and learning how to work up a patient properly in their clinic.

Final thought: Once you're a resident research isn't quite as critical to your success as it is during medical school. Your clinical performance becomes your first priority and research is icing on the cake. Try not to be too obsessed with the parts of your application that are lacking. Focus on your strengths. :thumbup: