Ophtho solo practice still possible, and a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is purchasing a solo Ophthalmology practice still a good idea financially?

I was talking with a Resident the other day that mentioned that in the past, once you got established with patients, private practice (solo) was a great way to go. But, this Resident told me that now solo practice is getting to the point where you are at a financial disadvantage if you aren't in a group because you can't share the administrative costs. What do you all think of this?

Reason is, I'm going into Ophthalmology and am considering buying a practice from a family friend (we have talked about it already). I just don't know if in 6 years when I am done (yeah, I still have to get into residency) that would be a good idea or if I should bag that whole idea and join a group.

I wouldn't mind all of the extra administrative duties that would come being completely solo. I just don't know how bad of an idea financially going completely solo is.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Is purchasing a solo Ophthalmology practice still a good idea financially?

I was talking with a Resident the other day that mentioned that in the past, once you got established with patients, private practice (solo) was a great way to go. But, this Resident told me that now solo practice is getting to the point where you are at a financial disadvantage if you aren't in a group because you can't share the administrative costs. What do you all think of this?

Reason is, I'm going into Ophthalmology and am considering buying a practice from a family friend (we have talked about it already). I just don't know if in 6 years when I am done (yeah, I still have to get into residency) that would be a good idea or if I should bag that whole idea and join a group.

I wouldn't mind all of the extra administrative duties that would come being completely solo. I just don't know how bad of an idea financially going completely solo is.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Still possible, very much so. Look in the subforum posts.

i'd be interested to learn how it's possible to start a solo practice... all the equipment is so expensive. how much money has to be available for a down payment? of course this depends on city/real estate.. medicine in general is going towards group practices, buying/joining established practices, or kaiser-type of systems.