Opinion/advice re:female dress code in VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntrnshpReady

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ladies (and gents)! I matched for internship at a VA facility, yet I have never completed a practicum at a VA. The places I did do practicum at had such varied levels of professional attire that I'm not sure which way to go for the VA. I know you can never go wrong with a button up blouse, appropriately tailored pants and nice flats... but I'm wondering what the psychologist/post docs and interns wear at the VA facilities you all have worked in!
Can you wear a nice sweater with pants? Do I need a blazer to wear over a sleeveless dress shirt or is a cardigan okay? Etc!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Business casual dress, like the examples you gave, should be fine. The VA settings I'm familiar with are not overly dressy or formal.

Reactions: 1 users
First: It ain't catholic school. There is no " dress code."

Second: look professional and use common sense. There can be a wife variety is don't swear it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The two VAs I've been at are super casual. I wouldn't even say you'd need a button up shirt. I think geographic location matters though.

Caveat: my experience is limited to clinical research in a VA.

In the clinical service line, the dress was relatively lax. Physicians tended to dress up a bit more., so you might consider that in how you want to be considered. But everyone else was business casual. Only people I saw wearing suits were the people who met with the head of the entire va system when he visited for something.

In the research service line, some guy dressed like ... You know how in Eastern Europe you run into those guys who take their dress cues from music videos? Exactly like that. Velvet, leather, bad jewelry, and faux animal prints. Every day for the 3 years I was there.

Reactions: 1 user
Caveat: my experience is limited to clinical research in a VA.

In the clinical service line, the dress was relatively lax. Physicians tended to dress up a bit more., so you might consider that in how you want to be considered. But everyone else was business casual. Only people I saw wearing suits were the people who met with the head of the entire va system when he visited for something.

In the research service line, some guy dressed like ... You know how in Eastern Europe you run into those guys who take their dress cues from music videos? Exactly like that. Velvet, leather, bad jewelry, and faux animal prints. Every day for the 3 years I was there.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the above. One of my co-interns used to wear jeans with dressy shoes, and a blouse, but no one else did. Guys wore ties, generally. You'll see a variety of staff wear different styles, but I also observe that the physicians, psychologists, residents, interns, tend to dress up at bit more (business casual). I tend to dress up (jackets, suits) when I have to do a presentation in front of Veterans and/or staff. Some days when I would do intakes/initial evaluations all day (so meet new Veterans for the first time), I sometimes chose to dress up on those days, too. But that is me, and I'm old school when it comes to these things. I still see admin staff in stilettos, animal print, trendy-wear, but I reserve that stuff for club night and not for work.

Can you wear a nice sweater with pants? Do I need a blazer to wear over a sleeveless dress shirt or is a cardigan okay?

Edit: Yes. And not necessary to do the blazer on most days...cardigan is fine, or (as we said in my program) "the psychologist sweater."

Last edited:
When I was doing practicum at VA, they mandated ties for psychology department. I think that it is a good thing for psychologists to dress more professional and keep it a notch above business casual. Also, just wanted to say that I don't like the whole new agey layers of wraps, shawls, and scarves thing that some female therapists (even some psychologists) seem to be adopting these days.

Oh and erg, you are going to get in trouble with typos like that. :D

Hi ladies (and gents)! I matched for internship at a VA facility, yet I have never completed a practicum at a VA. The places I did do practicum at had such varied levels of professional attire that I'm not sure which way to go for the VA. I know you can never go wrong with a button up blouse, appropriately tailored pants and nice flats... but I'm wondering what the psychologist/post docs and interns wear at the VA facilities you all have worked in!
Can you wear a nice sweater with pants? Do I need a blazer to wear over a sleeveless dress shirt or is a cardigan okay? Etc!

Thanks

You've gotten solid replies already, but just wanted to add some more data to the mix: I've been at West Coast VAs, where it's been pretty casual. Definitely could get away with dress pants, top, and cardigan. Sometimes I wore maxi dresses or "dressy" colored jeans and long tops. Whatever you do wear, make sure you can comfortably sit and stand in it. (I gave up on heels and skirts above the knee for work.) As a general rule, I have chosen to wear fairly loose clothing due to some harassment from patients, though I am not sure that was the main factor in getting that behavior to stop. My recommendation is to go slightly overdressed-business casual the first week and see what your supervisors are wearing.

Have fun on internship! I really enjoy many aspects of VA!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was doing practicum at VA, they mandated ties for psychology department. I think that it is a good thing for psychologists to dress more professional and keep it a notch above business casual. Also, just wanted to say that I don't like the whole new agey layers of wraps, shawls, and scarves thing that some female therapists (even some psychologists) seem to be adopting these days.

Oh and erg, you are going to get in trouble with typos like that. :D

Ties are dangerous and unsanitary. What idiot made that rule?

This is informed by clinical experience...but also 12 years of Catholic school.

Those were my thoughts too. Especially since I had just come from working for a year on an inner city inpatient ward. On the other note, I only had to wear a tie in first grade, after that I got to miss that aspect of Catholic school, but at least we still had nuns and they weren't afraid to use physical means of punishment and restraint. Half the schools these days don't even have those. Such a sad state of affairs. Those kids just don't get the full experience. The last nun I saw was wearing shorts and a t-shirt that said "Annual Nun Fun Run 5k". Unbelievable.

Agree!!! Never wear a tie in a locked down psychiatric or even medical unit, just dumb and asking for it to be grabbed. Ties rarely get cleaned and sweep up germs constantly.

Guys wore ties, generally.

Ties are dangerous and unsanitary.

Agree!!! Never wear a tie in a locked down psychiatric or even medical unit, just dumb and asking for it to be grabbed. Ties rarely get cleaned and sweep up germs constantly.

Oh! That's maybe why the guys stopped wearing ties after a while. I was wondering about that...I thought they were getting sloppy. I thought ties were usually dry-cleaned, but I guess that could get expensive.

The things inquiring minds learn...

Oh, and the 'psychologist sweater set' is a necessary tool for me to do my job (I leave one at work usually). It gets friggin cold in these institutional buildings! I can't actively listen when I'm shivering, and my lips are turning blue.

Last edited:
Oh, and the 'psychologist sweater set' is a necessary tool for me to do my job (I leave one at work usually). It gets friggin cold in these institutional buildings! I can't actively listen when I'm shivering, and my lips are turning blue.
Truth! I have accumulated quite the cardigan collection. I also recommend getting some nice flats. VA hospitals are often large, and as a trainee you will likely have rotations in various clinics around the campus. You want shoes that allow you to move between clinics (which can be in different buildings) without getting blisters.

I think biggest issues are probably avoiding anything that could be construed as sexually provocative in the VA environment.

Avoid perfume.
Avoid any sort of cleavage exposure.
Don't wear short skirts.

Basically, business casual is appropriate.

Heck, in some VA environments, just being a woman is considered sexually provocative.

Soldiers smell the women in the air...

I can't avoid perfume. It is one of my favorite accessories. I usually wear a scent by Clinique called Happy...it seems to go over well with everyone.

Not too intrusive and quite clean smelling, just like Irish Spring soap. :luck:

My hospital implemented a rule against perfume this past yr as many of the patients had allergies and too many nurses couldn't figure out what it meant to use in moderation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

My hospital implemented a rule against perfume this past yr as many of the patients had allergies and too many nurses couldn't figure out what it meant to use in moderation.

Well, then...I'd just have to say it was my Irish Spring soap. :meh:

Seriously, moderation is key to so many things in life....perfume, cologne, eau de toilette, definitely being some of them.