Opinion on grad classes as undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IronicOxidant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard varying opinions about this, and wanted to get a bigger opinion. I'm currently signed up for two graduate-level organic chemistry classes next semester. Now, I've heard two sides to how medical schools view this, but I'd like an opinion hopefully from someone who's on an adcom. Now one side is that adcoms like that I'm challenging myself, and it boosts my application. The other side is that adcoms DON'T like that I'm taking graduate level classes, because they have higher averages (B average, as opposed to C for other classes).

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably doesn't really matter either way. No one will think your GPA is meaningless because you took 1-2 grad courses in undergrad. Lots of people here do it because sometimes there are some topics that undergrad courses don't offer and people are interested. I took a grad biophys class, it was awesome and fun.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the adcom. If the guy reviewing your application went to graduate school, then he will probably know that those classes are generally graded easier although there are exceptions. If he didn't go to grad school, he won't know. Either way, it probably won't make a huge difference in the outcome so don't take a class just because it's a grad class and don't not take one because it is. Plenty of people pad their GPA with easy classes and padding your GPA with grad classes isn't a bad way to do that.