Opinion on secondary FL's to do based on what I have

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreams01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,
I have made a ton of research on this, and looks like this topic is very subjective as it comes down to your opinion on which sources you have done. However, I need a fresh opinion and advice on a conflicting issue.

I only have time to cover about 7 secondary FL's aside of my AAMC material and not using it for a predictive score but content preparation, critical thinking, endurance etc.

- I have my mind set on doing Kaplan FL's after I was persuaded by many testimonies on here but my problem is I have Kaplan 1-11 paper FL's (Passed down to me, but apparently illegal now? ), not the CBT's everyone talks of. So I wonder how much have its validity and effectiveness changed now?

- I took a TPR course so I have all the TPR tests. Based on my friends experience and on here, only the MCAT cracking tests are somewhat helpful (though maybe too hard / not reflect the way the Mcat is written).

- I also plan to buy TBR 1-3.

I was first planning to do 7 Kaplan Tests, but I am worried now that they'll be harmful over helpful as it might not be similar to the CBT's, so I split it to 4 Kaplan and 3 TBR. But now Im just paranoid about the entire Kaplan situation as not sure if the paper exams are similar or not as effective so thinking about doing TPR and TBR tests...but not sure.

Please let me know what you think or have experienced, much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN,
I have made a ton of research on this, and looks like this topic is very subjective as it comes down to your opinion on which sources you have done. However, I need a fresh opinion and advice on a conflicting issue.

I only have time to cover about 7 secondary FL's aside of my AAMC material and not using it for a predictive score but content preparation, critical thinking, endurance etc.

- I have my mind set on doing Kaplan FL's after I was persuaded by many testimonies on here but my problem is I have Kaplan 1-11 paper FL's (Passed down to me, but apparently illegal now? ), not the CBT's everyone talks of. So I wonder how much have its validity and effectiveness changed now?

- I took a TPR course so I have all the TPR tests. Based on my friends experience and on here, only the MCAT cracking tests are somewhat helpful (though maybe too hard / not reflect the way the Mcat is written).

- I also plan to buy TBR 1-3.

I was first planning to do 7 Kaplan Tests, but I am worried now that they'll be harmful over helpful as it might not be similar to the CBT's, so I split it to 4 Kaplan and 3 TBR. But now Im just paranoid about the entire Kaplan situation as not sure if the paper exams are similar or not as effective so thinking about doing TPR and TBR tests...but not sure.

Please let me know what you think or have experienced, much appreciated.

Do the 7 in the following order:
1) Kp FL-3R
2) BR FL1
3) Kp FL-6R
4) PR Cracking FL4
5) BR FL2
6) Kp FL-7R
7) BR FL3

Thanks for the reply!
Any particular reason why you have chosen that order :) ?

a. I like to maximize what is on the table. Multiple vendors give me different look & feel. If I have 10 vendors & it fits in my schedule, I will take FLs from all 10.
b. I like mix and match, not in continued order of material from one vendor to challenge myself to simulate the test environment.
c. I like to climb from "easier" to "harder", at least as test model.
d. PR cracking, in my opinion, is reasonably good. I didn't take the class but used the Cracking book. There were 4 test as the 1st is the free one everybody see on website. So, it's 4th FL probably is the 3rd in your class. You have it. So, why not dip into it at least to see how it feels :)
e. Kp 1-6R are typical Kp, not hard, not easy. I found its Science good. VR so so. Very lenient scale. Among the 6FLs, take one at the beginning to get a feel and compare it later on "harder" Kp FLs....implying Kp FL 7-11R. 7 to 8 are very good for practice. for 9, there are different opinions, 10 and 11 are, for many people, WTF type of FLs. Since you can only squeeze in 7 FL, just take Kp 6 and 7 then. (or you can try 7 and 8 if you like)
f. For BR 1-3, based on BerkReviewTeach's post dated 3/2/11, the strength are as following:
BR1 - PS (difficult), VR (easy), BS (medium)
BR2 - PS (medium), VR (hard), BS (medium)
BR3 - PS (difficult), VR (difficult), BS (difficult)

One can see BR3 is more challenging than 1. Based on what I see as stated above, I put PR cracking at the middle and BR 1, 2, 3 in position test 2, 5, 7

Well....do you like my 2 cents BS :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
a. I like to maximize what is on the table. Multiple vendors give me different look & feel. If I have 10 vendors & it fits in my schedule, I will take FLs from all 10.
b. I like mix and match, not in continued order of material from one vendor to challenge myself to simulate the test environment.
c. I like to climb from "easier" to "harder", at least as test model.
d. PR cracking, in my opinion, is reasonably good. I didn't take the class but used the Cracking book. There were 4 test as the 1st is the free one everybody see on website. So, it's 4th FL probably is the 3rd in your class. You have it. So, why not dip into it at least to see how it feels :)
e. Kp 1-6R are typical Kp, not hard, not easy. I found its Science good. VR so so. Very lenient scale. Among the 6FLs, take one at the beginning to get a feel and compare it later on "harder" Kp FLs....implying Kp FL 7-11R. 7 to 8 are very good for practice. for 9, there are different opinions, 10 and 11 are, for many people, WTF type of FLs. Since you can only squeeze in 7 FL, just take Kp 6 and 7 then. (or you can try 7 and 8 if you like)
f. For BR 1-3, based on BerkReviewTeach's post dated 3/2/11, the strength are as following:
BR1 - PS (difficult), VR (easy), BS (medium)
BR2 - PS (medium), VR (hard), BS (medium)
BR3 - PS (difficult), VR (difficult), BS (difficult)

One can see BR3 is more challenging than 1. Based on what I see as stated above, I put PR cracking at the middle and BR 1, 2, 3 in position test 2, 5, 7

Well....do you like my 2 cents BS :)
Myyy man!!
Very well thought, and very logical!
Im going to have to save this post in case I need to rewrite so I can start using the other FL's I havent done in the same logic, which might be a valid possbility since Im counting on the last 6 weeks to make things work! lol.

Ps. If I feel there might be a chance Ill need to rewrite (say my first couple aamc scores arent at par, and my secondary FL's are not there, should I just keep plugging away and see the improve as I review and practice in the middle, or should I reserve a couple AAMC's? I dont want to waste them but I dont want to not believe in myself and not prepare myself as best as possible. Im definitely not postponing even if Im not getting scores near what I hope...so Idk if you were put in that situation before. At least I still have many secondary FL's.

Myyy man!!
Very well thought, and very logical!
Im going to have to save this post in case I need to rewrite so I can start using the other FL's I havent done in the same logic, which might be a valid possbility since Im counting on the last 6 weeks to make things work! lol.

Ps. If I feel there might be a chance Ill need to rewrite (say my first couple aamc scores arent at par, and my secondary FL's are not there, should I just keep plugging away and see the improve as I review and practice in the middle, or should I reserve a couple AAMC's? I dont want to waste them but I dont want to not believe in myself and not prepare myself as best as possible. Im definitely not postponing even if Im not getting scores near what I hope...so Idk if you were put in that situation before. At least I still have many secondary FL's.

I have some "personal" thoughts...but before that,
May I ask the following:
1. When is your MCAT?
2. Do you MUST apply in this June 2014 cycle? The reason?
3. Which AAMC FLs have you taken? What are the composites?
4. How did you do using the TPR course material? Did you finish all material in Science and Verbal Workbook already?

1. May 31
2. No but I have been delaying for too too long. I am Canadian, so most schools here count the recent one and no more than 3x a year. I have postponed twice so far. I am always wasting my time with content every time I post pone..but you can never know everything in depth until you practice a lot. I have been doing that with a lot of topics and it helps me understand better, but have not done it for other weaker content that I have been and will focus on for the remainder. I need to get over my fears. I think I've done a fair deal content since the fall where my TPR course began and through the year, when I got into TBR for most of physics and G.Chem. Rite now I'm focusing on using all the knowledge and the practice passages Ive done throughout and put it into endless practice then cover my true weaknesses and high yield stuff. I want a chance to write at least 3x if needed be, so if I am not getting the score I want come May 31, I will still do it as a practice then get back to the drawing boards on more practice/review for another month and a half-ish.
3. I have only taken AAMC 3 at the middle of my prep course in December and scored 24 (10/7/7). It was abysmal, which keeps on giving me a mental block away from practice tests and more into content and end of chapter practice passages which is not always great.
4. I have done a lot of TPRH science and verbal work book but I also use TBR for physics and GChem and Orgo for practice.

So far in the next 6 weeks my plan stands like this:
This week: reviewing all weak topics for content - using my notes I made, and mcat-review.org to build flash cards on key concepts I wrote/equations.
Next week: Do all Self assessments, and review/build notes on the weaknesses, and build it with topical tests/Passages in the workbook. Then end the week with AAMC 3 (get a new diagnostic - its been 4 months, so I hardly remember what happened in it).
Then from the 3rd week till May 31: I will fill my week with around 2 secondary FL’s and 2 AAMC’s per week with the review and extra passages on weak topics from TBR/TPRH / topical tests.

*My dilemma rite now stands on whether I should save a couple AAMC's like the ones in between for a future re-write and replace them with Secondary FL's / topical passages for the sake of time, or just go and do all AAMC's. I think I will decide that if my AAMC's are improving or not, dont you think?

But that's what it stands. IT's going to be busy, but it must be done in my opinion.

1. May 31
2. No but I have been delaying for too too long. I am Canadian, so most schools here count the recent one and no more than 3x a year. I have postponed twice so far. I am always wasting my time with content every time I post pone..but you can never know everything in depth until you practice a lot. I have been doing that with a lot of topics and it helps me understand better, but have not done it for other weaker content that I have been and will focus on for the remainder. I need to get over my fears. I think I've done a fair deal content since the fall where my TPR course began and through the year, when I got into TBR for most of physics and G.Chem. Rite now I'm focusing on using all the knowledge and the practice passages Ive done throughout and put it into endless practice then cover my true weaknesses and high yield stuff. I want a chance to write at least 3x if needed be, so if I am not getting the score I want come May 31, I will still do it as a practice then get back to the drawing boards on more practice/review for another month and a half-ish.
3. I have only taken AAMC 3 at the middle of my prep course in December and scored 24 (10/7/7). It was abysmal, which keeps on giving me a mental block away from practice tests and more into content and end of chapter practice passages which is not always great.
4. I have done a lot of TPRH science and verbal work book but I also use TBR for physics and GChem and Orgo for practice.

So far in the next 6 weeks my plan stands like this:
This week: reviewing all weak topics for content - using my notes I made, and mcat-review.org to build flash cards on key concepts I wrote/equations.
Next week: Do all Self assessments, and review/build notes on the weaknesses, and build it with topical tests/Passages in the workbook. Then end the week with AAMC 3 (get a new diagnostic - its been 4 months, so I hardly remember what happened in it).
Then from the 3rd week till May 31: I will fill my week with around 2 secondary FL’s and 2 AAMC’s per week with the review and extra passages on weak topics from TBR/TPRH / topical tests.

*My dilemma rite now stands on whether I should save a couple AAMC's like the ones in between for a future re-write and replace them with Secondary FL's / topical passages for the sake of time, or just go and do all AAMC's. I think I will decide that if my AAMC's are improving or not, dont you think?

But that's what it stands. IT's going to be busy, but it must be done in my opinion.

I totally agree that postponement and dragging your feet are not the option. You must move on. On the other hand, like many veterans on SDN campus, I believe one should maximizing his/her preparation to tackle the beast only once; and only take the test WHEN YOU ARE READY.

On the contrary, by defying how I believe that you should go for it, my gut feeling pushes me to shout out loud that all the puzzles just don't match and the odd is not favoring you getting the score you want and deserve if you rush to it. There are too many variable and it needs to peel off one piece at a time in an orderly manner.

I believe your VR and BS deserve more attention. PS is easier to come up & you were already sitting on a 10 in Dec.
I also believe that for most testers, except a few SDN MCAT god & goddess, if one is more than 6 composite points behind the target with 5 weeks to go (not sure where you are at in VR now), one is fighting a very uphill battle with unfavorable odd.

Saying all that, even though I don't like my suggestion, I take my liberty to say:
1. Take AAMC3 again this Saturday morning.
1a. Go through extensive postgame review.
2. Take half (an hour) of SA VR next Monday
3. Take Kp FL2R next Tuesday. (2 is the lowest denominator of Kp family except the free one) and I like to see how your score compare with AAMC 3/4.....if it is within the curve or way out at the left field; particularly BS.
3a. Go through extensive postgame review.
4. Finish the second half (an hour) of remaining SA VR next Thursday
5. Take AAMC4 next Friday.
5a. Go through extensive postgame review.

Then, let us lay the results on the table. If it is within the target range (strong and balanced 5 point from), then go all out steaming toward May 31.
If it is not within the range....(it sounds like you already prepared and don't mind to waste/invest for the 1st test and void if it comes to that point), then shoot for retake early July.
Either way, your current preparation should take into consideration not to sell yourself short under either case.

Well, you can chew on my crazy idea when you sleep!

Last edited:
I totally agree that postponement and dragging your feet are not the option. You must move on. On the other hand, like many veterans on SDN campus, I believe one should maximizing his/her preparation to tackle the beast only once; and only take the test WHEN YOU ARE READY.

On the contrary, by defying how I believe that you should go for it, my gut feeling pushes me to shout out loud that all the puzzles just don't match and the odd is not favoring you getting the score you want and deserve if you rush to it. There are too many variable and it needs to peel off one piece at a time in an orderly manner.

I believe your VR and BS deserve more attention. PS is easier to come up & you were already sitting on a 10 in Dec.
I also believe that for most testers, except a few SDN MCAT god & goddess, if one is more than 6 composite points behind the target with 5 weeks to go (not sure where you are at in VR now), one is fighting a very uphill battle with unfavorable odd.

Saying all that, even though I don't like my suggestion, I take my liberty to say:
1. Take AAMC3 again this Saturday morning.
1a. Go through extensive postgame review.
2. Take half (an hour) of SA VR next Monday
3. Take Kp FL2R next Tuesday. (2 is the lowest denominator of Kp family except the free one) and I like to see how your score compare with AAMC 3/4.....if it is within the curve or way out at the left field; particularly BS.
3a. Go through extensive postgame review.
4. Finish the second half (an hour) of remaining SA VR next Thursday
5. Take AAMC4 next Friday.
5a. Go through extensive postgame review.

Then, let us lay the results on the table. If it is within the target range (strong and balanced 5 point from), then go all out steaming toward May 31.
If it is not within the range....(it sounds like you already prepared and don't mind to waste/invest for the 1st test and void if it comes to that point), then shoot for retake early July.
Either way, your current preparation should take into consideration not to sell yourself short under either case.

Well, you can chew on my crazy idea when you sleep!

THANK you so much for a helpful insight. Honestly, I was thinking something along those lines. I was too hesitant to start a thread about this knowing I'd probably not get any replies, so it worked out indirectly in the end in my favor to hear an opinion.
What you say is very logical, and that is what I will start with (not this coming Saturday due to some circumstances) but within the next week. I may have gotten better or I may have gotten worse, but I can assure you that when I took AAMC 3 I was very immature in my knowledge, didn't make similar test conditions, and definitely was not ready to take it -- I was rushing it to stay with the TPR schedule, which was wrong in hindsight. Since that time, I have attacked my some of weaknesses through content and some practice, however not as much as I could've done with all that time (which I regret) but need to look into the future.
If you don't mind, I will PM you my updates when I finish that stuff within the next week, and see anymore consultation / opinion from you.
From then on if my results are not good, I will alter my schedule for July in terms of proper preparation (like not rushing to finish my AAMC's for May and take more time out for attacking weakness through passages), but will take the May mcat for the sake of practice either way. It wont matter with me the score I get, I just need to get exposed and be mentally prepared. I hope July will be the deal breaker for me :(. It's been too long, and this mcat has been messing with me, so I can't keep hiding . Time is running out, but I'm fully motivated as I now need to finish it before it changes at the very least (and also hope I can enjoy some of my summer)!

But you are right– at the VERY LEAST, what I am and must be doing now needs be building up to JULY regardless how May will go...can't sell myself short now hiding behind content review and light studying. It's just a matter of extra passages and more time identifying and tackling weak concepts, while practicing as much as I could. May is just a motivator to waste no more time so far.
We'll keep in touch.

Thanks again for the good tip(s) :)

Last edited:
THANK you so much for a helpful insight. Honestly, I was thinking something along those lines. I was too hesitant to start a thread about this knowing I'd probably not get any replies, so it worked out indirectly in the end in my favor to hear an opinion.
What you say is very logical, and that is what I will start with (not this coming Saturday due to some circumstances) but within the next week. I may have gotten better or I may have gotten worse, but I can assure you that when I took AAMC 3 I was very immature in my knowledge, didn't make similar test conditions, and definitely was not ready to take it -- I was rushing it to stay with the TPR schedule, which was wrong in hindsight. Since that time, I have attacked my some of weaknesses through content and some practice, however not as much as I could've done with all that time (which I regret) but need to look into the future.
If you don't mind, I will PM you my updates when I finish that stuff within the next week, and see anymore consultation / opinion from you.
From then on if my results are not good, I will alter my schedule for July in terms of proper preparation (like not rushing to finish my AAMC's for May and take more time out for attacking weakness through passages), but will take the May mcat for the sake of practice either way. It wont matter with me the score I get, I just need to get exposed and be mentally prepared. I hope July will be the deal breaker for me :(. It's been too long, and this mcat has been messing with me, so I can't keep hiding . Time is running out, but I'm fully motivated as I now need to finish it before it changes at the very least (and also hope I can enjoy some of my summer)!

But you are right– at the VERY LEAST, what I am and must be doing now needs be building up to JULY regardless how May will go...can't sell myself short now hiding behind content review and light studying. It's just a matter of extra passages and more time identifying and tackling weak concepts, while practicing as much as I could. May is just a motivator to waste no more time so far.
We'll keep in touch.

Thanks again for the good tip(s) :)

By all means PM me if you like later. One thing in mind is that you may like to contact BerkReviewTeach for help in advance just in case if you move toward May 31 full steam on the best logistic of getting BR FL 1-3 access license on time. BR FL takes time to order (by Credit Card only, no check) especially you are at Canada. That is another headache you have to deal with......

By all means PM me if you like later. One thing in mind is that you may like to contact BerkReviewTeach for help in advance just in case if you move toward May 31 full steam on the best logistic of getting BR FL 1-3 access license on time. BR FL takes time to order (by Credit Card only, no check) especially you are at Canada. That is another headache you have to deal with......
Good point!
Thanks a lot :) Will do, and will keep you updated!