Opinion Question About Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paigeoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm kind of in a rut and am looking for some intelligent advice, so congratulations, I chose you! :) SO.. I am from Michigan, come from an INCREDIBLY small town and high school. I chose to attend the University of Michigan this year on a whim of being super excited of acceptance (neither of my parents went to college). My boyfriend, myself, and one other from my school came here. Those two both left, I am the only one left here from my high school. I am at the end of my freshman year here, and I really have not enjoyed my time here at all. I learn nothing because there's just so much that I will just cram for exams and not remember a thing. I have a 3.58, and it will probably stay that way. I am absolutely positive I wish to attend medical school, I want to become a family doctor and open my own practice eventually (this decision coming after many a shadowing). I kind of realized I do not want to go to medical school here because it is so concerned with research, and that's just not what I want. SO! My question for you wise fellows is, I really have been thinking hard about transferring, my friends at Central Michigan University (where 45% of my high school goes) have an apartment I could room in if I decide to go there next year. Here at UM, I got screwed out of housing for next year and have nowhere to live. Plus, I can't even take classes I want to take because so many people get terrible grades. Also, I have to take 2 classes a summer every summer for the rest of my career... My ultimate point is, should I stay here and be miserable but get the "name" on my degree, or go be happy somewhere else and get a higher GPA? Also, do you think it is better to go somewhere else for undergrad to get a high GPA and have time for extracurriculars and friends, or stay here and eventually have to look back on all the saturday nights I've spent in libraries.

Thanks guys :) please be honest!

Members don't see this ad.

If you think staying at UM is going to make you miserable, you shouldn't do it. That said, it seems like you're making excuses for your performance and blaming it on the institution rather than your own work ethic and/or other personal considerations. Maybe that's true, but you should be dubious about thinking that transferring somewhere is going to make everything better.

Members don't see this ad :)
...it seems like you're making excuses for your performance and blaming it on the institution rather than your own work ethic and/or other personal considerations. Maybe that's true, but you should be dubious about thinking that transferring somewhere is going to make everything better.

Keeping with this notion for a second, you are assuming that you're going to waltz into CMU and ace your courses for the remainder of undergrad. What happens if you transfer to a 'lesser' school and your GPA remains the same? Would it be worth the extra weekend partying?

I have a friend at CMU.... everyone says its akin to a community college. Just stay at UM and work harder

i'd stay at UM. try to manage your time better that way you'll be able to try to get out and have some fun. keep looking for housing, i'm sure UM has people constantly moving around. I would never want to be at college with all the people from my high school, that's an awful thought for me.