(WAMC) What are my chances for matching into Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found every rotation interesting in some respect, however, nothing felt to be the right fit. Recently, I realized that dermatology fits all of my interests in terms of medicine, clinic, procedures, research opportunities, and lifestyle. I am ending my 3rd year in 2 months and I am wondering, what are my chances to match into derm? What can I do to be a competitive applicant?

Step1: 248
School: mid-tier US MD program
M3: OB honors, family honors, psych honors, rads honors, peds high pass, IM high pass
AOA: no
Research: minimal. summer research between M1-M2 (clinical surgery research, presentation to the department) minor undergrad project
Extracurriculars: extensive involvement in volunteering, 2 leadership positions, GHHS member, school committee position.

thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would appreciate any feedback - especially regarding having only 1 clinical honor (keep getting 2nd best mark on rotations, all good comments, 90+ nbme scores; a trend which will likely continue)

Had similar stats and was able to match, keep plugging away

I am a 3rd year from a lower-to-mid tier school with a derm program who will probably not get AOA due to coasting through my first 2 years; probably in the middle of the pack right now in terms of class ranking.

My step 1 is 245. I have one derm publication, 3 derm poster presentations at research conferences (one of which I am trying to publish with the help of derm faculty at my school), and I am working on 2 more derm projects, one of which will definitely result in publication.

I have also published a book unrelated to derm, and I have a couple of other medical research poster presentations unrelated to derm.

I have received 2 Honors and 1 high pass in the 3 clerkships I've completed, and I'm working on finishing strong with honors for my last 3 clerkships.

ECs: I have significant extracurricular activity on a national level.

Would like to know what my chances are? I am mostly worried that no AOA and coming from a low-to-mid tier school will shut some doors. I would also like to know if there is anything else I can do to strengthen my application, and how realistic I should be when applying. Thanks!

Fair, no AOA and your school are going to be weak points

I always recommend taking a year off while in medical school to pursue research if you are looking for something that will strengthen your application

As for being realistic, it's not unreasonable to consider applying even without the year off, be sure to apply broadly

Step1 255
low-mid tier school
Maybe Junior AOA but definitely will be Senior AOA
Research at NIH summer before med school and between year 1 and 2
2 posters, 3 presentations, and 1 third author pub in cancer research. Nothing related to derm
Tons of extracurriculars
LOR's should be decent. 1 from home, 1 from away
Which programs would be good for me to do my aways?
I can only do my aways in July or in October. Problem is if I do it in July I wouldn't have done my home derm elective as of yet. Is october too late for an away?

Hard for me to recommend a program to do an away but my recommendation is to treat it like a 2-4 week job interview (however long the away is). If you find you cannot remain as enthusiastic, fascinated, engaged, helpful, etc as your 1st rotation, it's time to stop with the aways

I don't have a strong feeling on when to do aways, you may want to check with your home or away institutions as many places do not allow you to rotate without a home rotation first. October is still reasonable for an away rotation

Found every rotation interesting in some respect, however, nothing felt to be the right fit. Recently, I realized that dermatology fits all of my interests in terms of medicine, clinic, procedures, research opportunities, and lifestyle. I am ending my 3rd year in 2 months and I am wondering, what are my chances to match into derm? What can I do to be a competitive applicant?

Step1: 248
School: mid-tier US MD program
M3: OB honors, family honors, psych honors, rads honors, peds high pass, IM high pass
AOA: no
Research: minimal. summer research between M1-M2 (clinical surgery research, presentation to the department) minor undergrad project
Extracurriculars: extensive involvement in volunteering, 2 leadership positions, GHHS member, school committee position.

thanks for your time.

Looks like you are on the right track. I would recommend trying to add some research as a MS4 and of course, to do well on any and all derm rotations.

Hey guys,

Everyone ask this question because it is the most important yet hardest to answer, but please need input: what are my chances of getting derm residency?

Applying next year as U.S. M.D.
Saint Louis University Med School
Step 1 237
IM: NH Fam: P Oby/Gyn: P Ped: P Neuro: H (Honor, Near Honor, Pass)
5 research projects (2ENT, Neuro, and Derm)
1 ENT publication (2nd author), other ENT paper rejected
within month derm publication (1st author) in JAAD
bunch of presentation poster and oral on set projects at local and national conferences

Side question: What are the "easier" to get into derm residencies in U.S./Midwest?

Let me know. Thanks

Hey guys,

Everyone ask this question because it is the most important yet hardest to answer, but please need input: what are my chances of getting derm residency?

Saint Louis University Med School
Step 1 237
IM: NH Fam: P Oby/Gyn: P Ped: P Neuro: H (Honor, Near Honor, Pass)
5 research projects (2ENT, Neuro, and Derm)
1 ENT publication (2nd author), other ENT paper rejected
within month derm publication (1st author) in JAAD
bunch of presentation poster and oral on set projects at local and national conferences

Side question: What are the "easier" to get into derm residencies in U.S./Midwest?

Let me know. Thanks

I have a few questions:

1. What is your AOA status?
2. How strong do you think your LoRs will be?
3. For this last question, I swear I'm not trying to be judgmental...I honestly would like to know to offer you the advice you want...But as a MD/PhD student, you only have one pub and another pending? That seems low to me and could be a red flag.

Hey, I'm going to lay it all out, so hopefully one or more of you will be able/willing to chance me

Mid-tier allo school (not top 40)
249 Step 1
All clinical H's except for OB/GYN
Several first author pubs, however, only one is in derm
I want to match in the Midwest or South

I'm nervous that I won't match because I don't think I'm going to get AOA. I am, however, going to do a derm research year. Do you think a research year can make up for not being AOA? I'm also taking Step 2 this summer. Will a certain score hurt me, or should I be find as long as I can score 250+? Thanks!

I have a few questions:

1. What is your AOA status?
2. How strong do you think your LoRs will be?
3. For this last question, I swear I'm not trying to be judgmental...I honestly would like to know to offer you the advice you want...But as a MD/PhD student, you only have one pub and another pending? That seems low to me and could be a red flag.

???

Tru dat. I took this as superseding:

... and assumed his PhDizzle was in French Economics, the History of Cheese Production, or something else very important.

Hindsight shows this may have been my very first oversight... ever.

Only time (or SIR) will tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm going to lay it all out, so hopefully one or more of you will be able/willing to chance me

249 Step 1

I'm nervous that I won't match because I don't think I'm going to get AOA. I am, however, going to do a derm research year. Do you think a research year can make up for not being AOA? I'm also taking Step 2 this summer. Will a certain score hurt me, or should I be find as long as I can score 250+? Thanks!

Bump! I guess I'm just trying to get feedback from anyone who did a research year, and whether they think it made up for not being AOA. I'm neurotic--like all other derm apps--so I'm just trying gage how much of a disadvantage I'll be at if I don't get AOA

Thank you all for your time and thoughts!

Bump! I guess I'm just trying to get feedback from anyone who did a research year, and whether they think it made up for not being AOA. I'm neurotic--like all other derm apps--so I'm just trying gage how much of a disadvantage I'll be at if I don't get AOA

Thank you all for your time and thoughts!

Not sure when the next Charting Outcomes will come out, but in the last one 50% of Derm applicants were AOA ... meaning 50% were not ... SDN tends to be skewed in general so ... yeah

I am a 3rd year student at a top 20 US med school and although I had been very interested in derm (since high school) I unfortunately scored pretty low on step I 225-230 (at least by derm standards). I do have other things that may help to compensate.. 10+ publications, some first author at top derm journals and strong LORs. I have not however taken a year off to devote to derm research. I also will not likely be AOA and grades were split between HP and H with 2 passes. After getting my step I score I was very discouraged and pretty much gave up on derm and focused on another less-competitive specialty for which I will be applying next year and will be completing electives in. Some have suggested however that I should additionally apply to derm programs? Would I have a chance of some interviews based on my stats or is it not worth the time and money? Thanks in advance!

Wow, it's clear you still want to do derm. You will always wonder "what if" if you don't pursue it.
Your stats are pretty decent. Slightly below average on step 1 for DERM which is still above average overall. Your publications are way above average. If you have strong letters of rec, you should still be able to get lots of interviews. I've found that in derm connections are the most important. See if you can get one of your letter writers to make calls on your behalf, that could be a huge help and get you a handful of additional interviews.

Take a step back and think if you will be equally happy in your 2nd choice specialty. If the answer is yes, then you should still focus on derm, but apply to some programs in your 2nd choice. That way, if you don't match in derm, you still match into a residency.

If you know that you want derm above all else and you won't be as happy doing your second choice, then obviously don't list any other programs after your derm programs. If you don't match into derm, then you can still do an intern year and then do a research fellowship to strengthen your app. Good luck!

What is the nature of you pubs? Case reports? Review articles? Original research? How involved were you in the research (first author doesn't always tell the whole story)? How do you know the LORs are strong? Most are submitted without your knowledge of the content...

Approaching end of MS3 and considering derm really for the first time

Northeast Top 20 school
Step I - 261

3rd yr (H/HP/P - 25/25/50% of class): Honors: neurology, radiology (elective). high pass: surgery, OBGYN, peds, anesthesia. Pass: psych. Medicine grade pending.

Research:
all non-derm related:
Pubs: 1 first-author case report in good journal, 1 first author clinical research pub (pending), 1 mid author
Abstracts: ~13 total, ~5 1st author - 2 at major conferences

EC's: not much

Looking at CA, CO, UT, and the northeast mostly.

Chances? Especially with no derm research?

thanks

Wow, it's clear you still want to do derm. You will always wonder "what if" if you don't pursue it.
Your stats are pretty decent. Slightly below average on step 1 for DERM which is still above average overall. Your publications are way above average. If you have strong letters of rec, you should still be able to get lots of interviews. I've found that in derm connections are the most important. See if you can get one of your letter writers to make calls on your behalf, that could be a huge help and get you a handful of additional interviews.

Take a step back and think if you will be equally happy in your 2nd choice specialty. If the answer is yes, then you should still focus on derm, but apply to some programs in your 2nd choice. That way, if you don't match in derm, you still match into a residency.

If you know that you want derm above all else and you won't be as happy doing your second choice, then obviously don't list any other programs after your derm programs. If you don't match into derm, then you can still do an intern year and then do a research fellowship to strengthen your app. Good luck!

Totally agree. :thumbup:

I will be starting my prelim in internal medicine soon, after failing to match into Derm. As my interest is still alive, I want to pursue a derm research fellowship. I am doing my homework right now about which research fellowships are good, which to me means this:
1. Gets you into a derm residency with great probability
2. Even better if it gets you into a top derm program with great probability

My stats are as follows:
3rd quartile at top 25 med school
Step 1 222
Step 2 261

Please feel free to message me privately about your opinions, in case you do not feel comfortable posting your opinions publicly.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi, all! I'm a US-IMG in my 2nd year and am interested in dermatology. I know my chances are slim to none, just being a foreign grad. On top of this, I failed preclinical courses, but then I remediated and passed. I also took a short-term LOA for personal reasons.

So... any advice for me? Should I even try or is it just going to end up being a waste of my time, even if I do "everything right" from here on out... great LORs, connections, great board scores, away rotations, research, etc. ?

Thanks!

Another post for "what are my chances?"

top 25 med school
step 1 265
preclinical grades: all honors
clinical: honors in obgyn and psych. high pass in the rest and pass in neuro
AOA: No
EC: volunteering, derm clinic shadowing
Research: 1 3rd author pub in JID

Thanks for your help! Would it be helpful to squeeze in 1-2 case reports? Maybe do some aways?

I am wondering what you all think about my chances of matching into derm. US 4th year med student.

-A's in all preclinical and clinical rotations.
-Step 1= 242, Step 2 pending.
-Currently doing an away rotation in derm (no home derm department) and another next month.
-Co-founder of a geriatric interest group, previous secretary for ethics interest group
-Multiple poster presentations at national geriatrics/internal medicine meetings,
-Extensive volunteer work with homeless, elderly education, and one derm event.
-Academic excellence award for first 2 years of med school.
-Chosen as one of student mentors/tutors for underclassmen.
-1 publication 1st author in JAAD Images in Dermatology section.
-Nominated but not selected for junior AOA.
-Graduated Summa Cum Laude from undergrad (for what its worth)
-Phi Beta Kappa member

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

249 Step 1

Bump

Can anyone share their experience of applying with a research year but no AOA? I know I'm an average derm applicant, but I'm trying to gage how much of a boost (i.e. how much more likely am I to match) with my research year.

FWIW, to update my earlier post, I'm in the top 20% of my class, and I'll have at least three derm first author pubs when I apply, and 6-7 non-derm ones. Thanks everyone!

Approaching end of MS3 and considering derm really for the first time

Northeast Top 20 school
Step I - 261

3rd yr (H/HP/P - 25/25/50% of class): Honors: neurology, radiology (elective). high pass: surgery, OBGYN, peds, anesthesia. Pass: psych. Medicine grade pending.

Research:
all non-derm related:
Pubs: 1 first-author case report in good journal, 1 first author clinical research pub (pending), 1 mid author
Abstracts: ~13 total, ~5 1st author - 2 at major conferences

EC's: not much

Looking at CA, CO, UT, and the northeast mostly.

Chances? Especially with no derm research?

thanks

Chances look good but I would try to squeeze in a research elective at the beginning of the year if possible (or work on a research project during rotations)

I will be starting my prelim in internal medicine soon, after failing to match into Derm. As my interest is still alive, I want to pursue a derm research fellowship. I am doing my homework right now about which research fellowships are good, which to me means this:
1. Gets you into a derm residency with great probability
2. Even better if it gets you into a top derm program with great probability

My stats are as follows:
3rd quartile at top 25 med school
Step 1 222
Step 2 261

Please feel free to message me privately about your opinions, in case you do not feel comfortable posting your opinions publicly.

Thanks for all your help!

Not sure what the question is but I would recommend pursuing a research fellowship

I wouldn't focus so much on getting into a "top" (they're all outstanding) derm program but would focus on a program that has a history of either accepting their own fellows or placing their fellows very well

Nice bump from Step 1 to 2 but I suspect your Step 1 may have contributed to some degree to your not matching the 1st time

Hi, all! I'm a US-IMG in my 2nd year and am interested in dermatology. I know my chances are slim to none, just being a foreign grad. On top of this, I failed preclinical courses, but then I remediated and passed. I also took a short-term LOA for personal reasons.

So... any advice for me? Should I even try or is it just going to end up being a waste of my time, even if I do "everything right" from here on out... great LORs, connections, great board scores, away rotations, research, etc. ?

Thanks!

I hate to be a downer but I would talk in depth with your advisors. Foreign grads are at a disadvantage to start with and tack on failed preclinicals and a leave of absence is not going to help your case

I'm pretty late to the dermatology train, having just really gotten interested in it after doing a rotation during the end of my 3rd year. Could really use some advice from residents and fellow applicants.

I had been planning to take a gap year to do some clinical research and teaching between MS3 and MS4 before applying. However, in filling out my research application, I'm somewhat doubting whether a full year of research and maybe a publication or two is really worth delaying residency. In other words, I'm getting antsy to just be done with the whole medical school thing and move on to new things. I'm on clinics, spouting out polished presentations with excellent plans and differentials and just feel like I'm ready to be a resident and start making some of my own decisions in medicine.

Holding me back: I don't have "amazing" stats. I also don't have any real connections with the faculty members in derm at my institution. I have decent research but a lot of my pubs are in the pipeline and probably won't be out by residency application time at the end of the summer. It's almost all non-derm related. It's compounded by the fact that nearly everyone else applying in my class either has been doing Derm Research from the first day of medical school, or has taken a gap year under a prestigious fellowship. I'm getting the sense the rest of the applicant pool at other institutions is going to be pretty similar.

So, any advice on gap year vs. no gap year. I realize it would give me time to get things published, form some new connections, learn some new skills. And, especially since I'm mainly hoping to match in highly populated areas on either the West or East Coast, I could use the resume boost.

But, at the other end of things, I'm also worried I might just look back at it and say "I should have just applied last year and saw what happened." I'm sure you all remember the feeling at the end of third year when you're ready to "graduate" from the medical student position and move on to bigger and better things.

Top 10 Medical School
Step I: 239
Medical School does not do AOA
Pre-clinical (P/F system): Pass
Clinical Grade (Pass/Honors): Med (Honors), Outpatient Medicine (Honors), Peds (Honors), OB-Gyn (Honors), Psych (Pass), Surgery (Pass)
Clinical Grades (Pass/Fail): Dermatology (Pass), Pathology (Pass), Radiology (Pass), SubI- Hem/Onc (Pass)
Few local and national scholarships
2 pubs, 1st author (1 basic science non-derm, 1 review derm-relatd)
1 published abstract (medical education)
1 case review in preparation
2 medical educations papers in preparation

It all depends on your risk tolerance

I completely understand not wanting to take further time off. That being said, applicants who fail to match the 1st time are at a significant disadvantage the 2nd time around. It may be worthwhile putting your best foot forward and that may mean taking time off to do research

It may be worth talking to faculty in your derm department to get their opinion

FWIW, I was on the fence myself about taking a year off and ended up deciding after speaking with the program director at the derm program of my medical school (not where I ended up matching). She gave me the green light to apply which allowed me to proceed much more confidently.

Another post for "what are my chances?"

top 25 med school
step 1 265
preclinical grades: all honors
clinical: honors in obgyn and psych. high pass in the rest and pass in neuro
AOA: No
EC: volunteering, derm clinic shadowing
Research: 1 3rd author pub in JID

Thanks for your help! Would it be helpful to squeeze in 1-2 case reports? Maybe do some aways?

Case reports aren't vital but if you can get them out quickly, why not?

I would still recommend at least 1 away but be sure to approach it with as much interest and enthusiasm as your 1st rotation (presumably a home rotation)

I am wondering what you all think about my chances of matching into derm. US 4th year med student.

-Step 1= 242, Step 2 pending.
-Currently doing an away rotation in derm (no home derm department) and another next month.
-Co-founder of a geriatric interest group, previous secretary for ethics interest group
-Multiple poster presentations at national geriatrics/internal medicine meetings,
-Phi Beta Kappa member

Looks good, just be sure to do well on rotations, nab good LORs, and nail the interviews

Bump

Can anyone share their experience of applying with a research year but no AOA? I know I'm an average derm applicant, but I'm trying to gage how much of a boost (i.e. how much more likely am I to match) with my research year.

FWIW, to update my earlier post, I'm in the top 20% of my class, and I'll have at least three derm first author pubs when I apply, and 6-7 non-derm ones. Thanks everyone!

It looks like you should be in pretty good shape even without the research year. Assuming no glaring personality flaws, the benefit of the research year is that it should pretty much cement your chances of matching

FWIW, I've only met 1 medical student who regretted her decision to take a year off. Many enjoy the chance to step away from being a medical student, the confidence it will bring you come application time, etc... The 1 who regretted it did so because she ended up doing her research year in the middle of nowhere, with an unknown, and did not publish.

I'd pick a research year based on your interest (obviously) but it helps to put yourself in a place you enjoy (ideally a place where you'd like to match), with as big a name as possible, and with a PI who has a solid plan in place in terms of how to proceed with a research project

Hey everybody,
I wanted to ask the age old question of what are my chances:

BA in Biology pursuing MD
Step 1:237
third year grades;
H- Neuro
NH: IM, Surgery, Psych
P: FM, Oby/Gyn, Ped
One LOR from famous/respected ped derm
Research: ENT publication (2 author), numerous poster (3) and platform (6) presentation which includes two on national level

Please give me feedback

ALSO, what is the latest to send in rec letters? Rec letters go along with applying so basically, when is latest to apply? Sept 15 apps open and Oct 1 Dean letter is sent, but actual program deadlines are mid Oct.

2 derm research project
One submitted jaad as first author awaiting results
Another planning to submit jama

Hey everybody,
I wanted to ask the age old question of what are my chances:

BA in Biology pursuing MD
Step 1:237
third year grades;
H- Neuro
NH: IM, Surgery, Psych
P: FM, Oby/Gyn, Ped
One LOR from famous/respected ped derm
Research: ENT publication (2 author), numerous poster (3) and platform (6) presentation which includes two on national level

Please give me feedback

ALSO, what is the latest to send in rec letters? Rec letters go along with applying so basically, when is latest to apply? Sept 15 apps open and Oct 1 Dean letter is sent, but actual program deadlines are mid Oct.

Chances are OK, what is your AOA status? Step score is within range but on the low side, grades aren't the best. But it looks like you have a good amount of research, I think you should be OK if you do well on rotations and get outstanding letters. I would recommend getting letters in as soon as possible and getting apps out as soon as the opening date (9/15). Not sure how many programs actually do look so early (my feeling is very few, I know my program did not until the Dean's letter was received) but you want to maximize your chances by sending as early as possible

I feel you should make involve yourself into derm study, if you are so interested with it, as it is well recognized course among fellow doctor member, you can check out the number of colleges offering such study through google search.

I feel you should make involve yourself into derm study, if you are so interested with it, as it is well recognized course among fellow doctor member, you can check out the number of colleges offering such study through google search.

Holy crap, this is the best post ever.

-Step 1= 242, **Step 2=254
-Phi Beta Kappa member

**Just got my Step 2 score back (above). Does the 12 point jump from Step 1 mean anything, or do most programs not really care? Thanks again!

I didn't match in derm for what its worth but I had very similar stats with a little bit less total research (but similar derm research). I'd say you have a great chance, but a lot of derm being such a small field is connections. This is especially true when you are an "average" applicant (its crazy that those numbers are "average," but its true) and a little bit of luck as well (not a lot of other derm applicants in your class, rotating at program that has less rotators a certain year, etc). I get the sense with such highly qualified people to rank, there is a lot more randomness in the process than one would believe, especially towards the middle (yet still matchable) part of the rank list. With such a small field, a few spots can make all the difference. People get in with much worse numbers than you (people in my own class with connections had several more interviews and worse stats than I did), but realize that people also don't get in with better. You have a great chance but as with any other non derm superstar, there is a chance you won't match.

I know it's a little late to schedule, but as an average applicant, I'd say my best advice, assuming you are a friendly, harworking, pleasure to be around person, is to do as many aways as possible. Also, assuming you are not geographically restricted, try to do rotations in different parts of the country. Derm is very regional so doing a rotation somewhere may not only get you an interview there, but getting a strong letter from the chair could get you additional interviews in the surrounding area.

As to the Step 2 question, I honestly don't think it will help at all (I could be totally off). All derm seems to care about is Step 1. The only place where anyone mentioned my Step 2 score (or any step score) for that matter was my home program director in the interview. I found it very odd but that's a story for another day.

And even if in the doomsday scenario you don't match, with those stats, I think you'd still be competitive as a re-applicant, assuming you continued to show derm interest, did flexible academic prelim, etc. In the worst case you didn't match again, you could always do a fellowship and get in. I will say I am super happy at the academic prelim I wound up at (and never would have matched at if I had matched derm based on how I made my rank list) so I really think things end up working out. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I didn't match in derm for what its worth but I had very similar stats with a little bit less total research (but similar derm research). I'd say you have a great chance, but a lot of derm being such a small field is connections. This is especially true when you are an "average" applicant (its crazy that those numbers are "average," but its true) and a little bit of luck as well (not a lot of other derm applicants in your class, rotating at program that has less rotators a certain year, etc). I get the sense with such highly qualified people to rank, there is a lot more randomness in the process than one would believe, especially towards the middle (yet still matchable) part of the rank list. With such a small field, a few spots can make all the difference. People get in with much worse numbers than you (people in my own class with connections had several more interviews and worse stats than I did), but realize that people also don't get in with better. You have a great chance but as with any other non derm superstar, there is a chance you won't match.

I know it's a little late to schedule, but as an average applicant, I'd say my best advice, assuming you are a friendly, harworking, pleasure to be around person, is to do as many aways as possible. Also, assuming you are not geographically restricted, try to do rotations in different parts of the country. Derm is very regional so doing a rotation somewhere may not only get you an interview there, but getting a strong letter from the chair could get you additional interviews in the surrounding area.

As to the Step 2 question, I honestly don't think it will help at all (I could be totally off). All derm seems to care about is Step 1. The only place where anyone mentioned my Step 2 score (or any step score) for that matter was my home program director in the interview. I found it very odd but that's a story for another day.

And even if in the doomsday scenario you don't match, with those stats, I think you'd still be competitive as a re-applicant, assuming you continued to show derm interest, did flexible academic prelim, etc. In the worst case you didn't match again, you could always do a fellowship and get in. I will say I am super happy at the academic prelim I wound up at (and never would have matched at if I had matched derm based on how I made my rank list) so I really think things end up working out. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for your input. Would you mind sharing how many programs you applied to? Also, what do you consider to be a "flexible academic prelim?" I am currently on the last day of my 1st away rotation and start the second away next week. That is all that I have though. I did my first month of 4th year in a peds derm practice, but it was at my home hospital (again, not associated with a derm program), just to get the hang of describing lesions.

Kind of wondering what my chances would be in derm. 4th year clinicals this year but just recently started thinking of derm after doing a very short rotation in it. Come from a smaller US allopathic school. 3.85 gpa, with all As in clinical rotations. 239 step 1. One small presentation and abstract (not published) that I produced after a summer of tough research - (good project, but in way too deep). I think* that im generally pretty sociable:luck: for interviews.

Just how much of an uphill battle would I be facing? Would it be worth pursuing at this point if I really think derm is what i'd enjoy?

Would appreciate any thoughts!

Ok, what are my chances. I go to a smaller allopathic school that has 4 spots. I'm a 3rd year and I am wanting to go into derm. I think I am drawn to the cancer side of it due to all the skin cancer that is seen in my state and family because of how big farming is. I also like the extra stuff as well. Anyways, I scored a 258 on step 1 and am currently a 4.0 student. I have only done a summer of research in a non-related field and will have an abstract that won't be published. I will most likely be AOA and I have some philanthropy stuff as well. Thanks for giving your thoughts and advice.

Last edited:
Ok, what are my chances. I go to a smaller allopathic school that has 4 spots. I'm a 3rd year and I am wanting to go into derm. I think I am drawn to the cancer side of it due to all the skin cancer that is seen in my state and family because of how big farming is. I also like the extra stuff as well. Anyways, I scored a 258 on step 1 and am currently a 4.0 student. I have only done a summer of research in a non-related field and will have an abstract that won't be published. I will most likely be AOA and I have some philanthropy stuff as well. Thanks for giving your thoughts and advice.

Numbers are good but I would encourage you to be able to enthusiastically and eloquently explain why you are interested in dermatology.

Kind of wondering what my chances would be in derm. 4th year clinicals this year but just recently started thinking of derm after doing a very short rotation in it. Come from a smaller US allopathic school. 3.85 gpa, with all As in clinical rotations. 239 step 1. One small presentation and abstract (not published) that I produced after a summer of tough research - (good project, but in way too deep). I think* that im generally pretty sociable:luck: for interviews.

Just how much of an uphill battle would I be facing? Would it be worth pursuing at this point if I really think derm is what i'd enjoy?

Would appreciate any thoughts!

I think you should be in good shape, grades look good, Step 1 is a smidge below the average of applicants we look at but certainly in range. If it's what you enjoy, it would definitely be worth pursuing

Are there any chances whatsoever for me to match derm? I just recently did a derm rotation early this year(im a 4th year) and honestly had never even considered it because i just thought of cosmetics etc but found I really enjoyed it.

Middle-Tier school
Step 1: 259
Honored all clerkships
AOA
No pubs at all

Is there any chance at all?

Last edited:
Are there any chances whatsoever for me to match derm? I just recently did a derm rotation early this year(im a 4th year) and honestly had never even considered it because i just thought of cosmetics etc but found I really enjoyed it.

Middle-Tier school
Step 1: 259
Honored all clerkships
AOA
No pubs at all

Is there any chance at all?

Research and pubs are almost a prerequisite now. You need some. You already know damn well your other numbers are fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt I can get any publication from now till interview season. Would it even be possible even applying broadly?