(WAMC) What are my chances for matching into Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can certainly try.

Talk to people in your department. You can get a case report submitted in a week or two if they already have a case waiting to be written.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you'd have a shot. Obviously you already know your numbers and stats are fine. I know a derm resident in our program (which is maybe Top 10 for derm) who didn't decide until August of her 4th year and hadn't done any related research, but she ended up matching fine. She went to a mid-tier school as well. I assume her numbers were amazing based on my interaction with her, but who knows.

Derm tends to like people who show a lot of dedication to the field (research, early interest, ECs, etc.). You'll probably be going up against a lot of people with stats both equal (and many lower than yours) that have way better stories about why they want to be a dermatologist.

I think specialties like derm are slightly skeptical of high-scoring applicants with no prior interest in derm who apply during 4th year. As one of the dermatologists I met told me, "I think there are a lot of medical students who suddenly become interested in dermatology once they get their Step 1 board scores." Having said that, if you carve out a good story I don't see why you wouldn't have a shot.

4th year med student pursuing a research fellowship following graduation.

Grades:
Pass: OB
High pass: Surgery, pediatrics
Honors: Medicine, EM, FM
Electives: Mostly honors, derm was honors
1st/2nd yr: Got honors in pretty much everything

Did 1 away in derm at Mayo and did very well. Still have a few more required rotations left.

Step 1: 257
Research: 2 publications in carcinogenesis, 1 case report publication in derm, would obviously have more with a research fellowship.

What are my chances? I'm set on doing the research fellowship this upcoming year but would like to know what my chances are even after a research fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you doing fellowship? Stats and pubs are good. Prob would match this cycle...

I am an IMG who did internal medicine but during a derm rotation I realized that I wanted to do derm ( I know some might roll their eyes)...Have the following stats-

step 1-231
step 2- 227
step 3-221

5 peer reviewed publications ( original articles and reviews)
5 case reports
2 book chapters
2 poster presentations
1 oral presentation at an international conference
though all non-derm

currently pursuing derm clinical research with publications expected by dec end

was considering applying for derm , will get excellent letters from my current mentors....but just given lowish scores compared to typical derm applicants and being an IMG, wasnt sure if I should apply and if i did what my cahnces of matching were.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you

I am an IMG who did internal medicine but during a derm rotation I realized that I wanted to do derm ( I know some might roll their eyes)...Have the following stats-

step 1-231
step 2- 227
step 3-221

5 case reports
2 book chapters
2 poster presentations
though all non-derm

was considering applying for derm , will get excellent letters from my current mentors....but just given lowish scores compared to typical derm applicants and being an IMG, wasnt sure if I should apply and if i did what my cahnces of matching were.

Thank you

You'll never know unless you try. Your scores are below average and being an IMG won't help your case. I would be sure to do audition rotations at places that have a history of taking IMGs and would also be sure to have a backup plan in place (many places have research fellowships and end up taking their own research fellow for a derm position, you'll want to make sure you have something similar to fall back on even if there is no guarantee you'll be taken after the fellowship)

step 1-231
step 2- 227
step 3-221

5 case reports
2 book chapters
2 poster presentations
though all non-derm

Thank you

Worth a roll of the dice...just make sure you have a backup plan (which I guess you do, since you're IM/Rheum board certified, I guess). Don't overthink the scores. I think the more pressing issue that may keep you out will be having completed another residency already. Call around to see which programs take people who have already used up their funding by doing another residency.

Hi Everyone!

I would like advice if I should take a research-year to match into derm. My goal is mid-to-top tier schools - some that come in mind are UWash, Georgetown, Jefferson, Penn, Baylor, Stanford, UCSD, Northwestern, Stony Brook, Boston U, Tufts, NYU, Brown, Yale, Wiscon etc.

Some info:
Currently a 3rd year student
Step 1 score of 260
1 honor so far during clerkships. Awaiting results for others.
2 pubs right now. 6 in the process of submission (will probably take 2-3 months to finalize and submit)
Attending a state school that does not have a strong derm program.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

There's a "what are my chances" thread stickied at the top of this subforum (and one of the mods will probably move your post there).

Also, some of those programs you listed (I won't name names) probably don't necessarily belong in a discussion of "mid to top tier" programs, but I'll leave well enough alone.

Hi Everyone!

I would like advice if I should take a research-year to match into derm. My goal is mid-to-top tier schools - some that come in mind are UWash, Georgetown, Jefferson, Penn, Baylor, Stanford, UCSD, Northwestern, Stony Brook, Boston U, Tufts, NYU, Brown, Yale, Wiscon etc.

Some info:
Currently a 3rd year student
Step 1 score of 260
1 honor so far during clerkships. Awaiting results for others.
2 pubs right now. 6 in the process of submission (will probably take 2-3 months to finalize and submit)
Attending a state school that does not have a strong derm program.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!
What are your pubs like? Is research the reason for wanting to go "mid or top tier"? Or do you just want name recognition?

Reactions: 1 user
What are your pubs like? Is research the reason for wanting to go "mid or top tier"? Or do you just want name recognition?

Pubs are 1 study, rest are abstract/case reports, all derm related and I want research oriented school as well as name recognition.

So I'm guessing your ultimate goal is academics. The research year will help, but imo I'd probably only do it if you have fairly significant research goals in your career.

As an aside, name recognition doesn't seem as big of a deal in Derm as it is in other fields like IM.

Choosing a place on name recognition, ignoring other qualities, can make for a relatively unhappy residency. If you can get both, great, but focus more on a program that would be the best 'day to day' type of fit for you. Jmo.

So I'm guessing your ultimate goal is academics. The research year will help, but imo I'd probably only do it if you have fairly significant research goals in your career.

As an aside, name recognition doesn't seem as big of a deal in Derm as it is in other fields like IM.

Choosing a place on name recognition, ignoring other qualities, can make for a relatively unhappy residency. If you can get both, great, but focus more on a program that would be the best 'day to day' type of fit for you. Jmo.
Thanks for the advice! When do you think I would have to decide by to do a research year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that will be dependent on your school. You'll have to speak with them (admins) to understand how to make sure you get all your necessary rotations completed. I would ask them the latest by which you could notify them.

Hi, I'm also a third year interested in derm. What do you guys think my chances of matching are.

My info:
Low end MD medical school in the Midwest which does not have a derm program
Step 1 score was a 251
Have not taken step 2 yet
Honored 50% of classes M1/M2
Honored Medicine and passed surgery and peds
6 research experiences and 7 poster presentations but NOT derm related
No publications but hopefully will be submitting something soon
Trying to get some derm research soon but my school doesn't have a derm program so it is a little hard
Lots of extracurricular activities and president of multiple clubs including class president
AOA selections have not been made yet but I have been invited to apply and think I will get accepted
Also have plenty of volunteer activities

I would prefer to go to a mid to high tier derm program. Do you guys think this is possible or based on coming from a low tier school and very limited derm research that probably isn't possible. Do you guys think I could match into a low tier program?

Also for dermatology do people recommend to do lots of away rotations or just a few or none at all? Thanks

First time posting--
I am an MS4 currently taking a research year (NIH funded), will be applying next year
Med School: East coast, top tier, top derm dept
School has NO grades, thus no AOA (noone does...)
Honors in all MS3 rotations except Neuro (high pass), honors in Med Sub-I, honors in Derm elective
Currently doing research in Derm dept, nothing published yet, currently have one case report ready to be submitted (first author), one case series (third author), three other papers that should be submitted by the end of the year, as well as several abstracts and poster presentations (med and derm)
Step 1: 253
Step 2: 266
LOR: several top med and derm people
Other: board of our student run clinic where I continue to volunteer, head of student group in second year, graduated from top 5 school for undergrad
I feel confident in my app but am concerned that I won't have enough research/publications. Any thoughts what my chances may be? Would away rotations add to my app? Does anyone know what schools give interviews if you rotate there?
Thanks!

I will be starting my prelim in internal medicine soon, after failing to match into Derm. As my interest is still alive, I want to pursue a derm research fellowship. I am doing my homework right now about which research fellowships are good, which to me means this:
1. Gets you into a derm residency with great probability
2. Even better if it gets you into a top derm program with great probability

My stats are as follows:
3rd quartile at top 25 med school
Step 1 222
Step 2 261

Please feel free to message me privately about your opinions, in case you do not feel comfortable posting your opinions publicly.

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for your post. It's nice to see those who are still reaching for their goals despite stats. When does one typically pursue a derm research fellowship (after prelim year or some other time)? Also, would you have any recommendations for getting into dermatology other than directly matching?

Thanks for your post. It's nice to see those who are still reaching for their goals despite stats. When does one typically pursue a derm research fellowship (after prelim year or some other time)? Also, would you have any recommendations for getting into dermatology other than directly matching?

I would recommend pursuing a research fellowship (if interested) while you are still a medical student. You can also pursue one after you graduate, usually after your prelim year

Still, the recommendation as always is to match into dermatology when you are a medical student. That is the most common and safest way. It is not easy to maneuver into a dermatology position once you have graduated from medical school.

First time posting--
I am an MS4 currently taking a research year (NIH funded), will be applying next year
Med School: East coast, top tier, top derm dept
School has NO grades, thus no AOA (noone does...)
Honors in all MS3 rotations except Neuro (high pass), honors in Med Sub-I, honors in Derm elective
Currently doing research in Derm dept, nothing published yet, currently have one case report ready to be submitted (first author), one case series (third author), three other papers that should be submitted by the end of the year, as well as several abstracts and poster presentations (med and derm)
Step 1: 253
Step 2: 266
LOR: several top med and derm people
Other: board of our student run clinic where I continue to volunteer, head of student group in second year, graduated from top 5 school for undergrad
I feel confident in my app but am concerned that I won't have enough research/publications. Any thoughts what my chances may be? Would away rotations add to my app? Does anyone know what schools give interviews if you rotate there?
Thanks!

You look like you would have an excellent chance. Taking a year off to do research is significant in and of itself, publications are just icing on top of the cake. Be sure you can talk intelligently and enthusiastically about your research though during interview season.

Regarding which programs give interview if you rotate around, the best thing to do would be to ask your school's current MS4's applying for dermatology, they'll be able to provide the most up-to-date information

Hi, I'm also a third year interested in derm. What do you guys think my chances of matching are.

My info:
Low end MD medical school in the Midwest which does not have a derm program
Step 1 score was a 251
Have not taken step 2 yet
Honored 50% of classes M1/M2
Honored Medicine and passed surgery and peds
6 research experiences and 7 poster presentations but NOT derm related
No publications but hopefully will be submitting something soon
Trying to get some derm research soon but my school doesn't have a derm program so it is a little hard
Lots of extracurricular activities and president of multiple clubs including class president
AOA selections have not been made yet but I have been invited to apply and think I will get accepted
Also have plenty of volunteer activities

I would prefer to go to a mid to high tier derm program. Do you guys think this is possible or based on coming from a low tier school and very limited derm research that probably isn't possible. Do you guys think I could match into a low tier program?

Also for dermatology do people recommend to do lots of away rotations or just a few or none at all? Thanks

You look like you would have an excellent shot as well. I recommend aiming for the program where you have the best "gut feel". "Tiers" matter very little in the end for the vast majority of dermatology residents.

Away rotations are a split bag, if you search around here, the vast majority will recommend doing as many as you can possibly do. I would recommend doing as many as you can while remaining enthusiastic. It will only hurt you to do a ton of away rotations but come away looking less than impressive on what is essentially a month long interview at each program.

Hi I'm a current third year medical student that wants to do Derm.

My info:
Attend a low tier MD school in the Northeast without a derm department
Step 1: low 250s
M1/2: ~60/40 honors/high pass (H/HP/P)
M3: Medicine H, Surgery H, psych HP so far
Pubs: a few non derm related poster presentations. I tried to get derm research between M1 and M2 but was unable to due to lack of a department
AOA: not sure but hopefully will be
Not much in terms of extracurriculars, president of a nonderm specialty interest group - not sure if I should even include this on my applications

Would go anywhere in the country. How much would couples matching affect my chances? Also, should I consider doing a research fellowship? I really do not want to do this if it can be avoided.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Couples matching usually does not make the match process any easier. That being said, it depends what your spouse is aiming for and how competitive the field is. In most cases, the one applying for dermatology will be the one spearheading the process given how competitive derm is and how difficult it is to procure interviews.

Your stats look good enough where you don't really need to do a research fellowship. Conversely, if you wanted to do one, it always helps and would add additional shine to an already stellar application package.

I am a first year medical student at an average medical school in the U.S.

I started medical school in August. The summer after graduating college and starting medical school, I was doing research full time. I came into medical school burned out. I ended up failing Anatomy, and just passing the next two modules. At the end of my first semester of medical school, we got some time off during winter break. I was able to recover from burnout, and I now feel back to my old self.

Are my chances at Dermatology completely ruined? I was interested in Derm at the beginning of medical school, but now I don't know.

Any tips on how to get back on track for Derm?

What are the latest trends in Derm step scores? They never released a recent NMRP charting outcomes, so I don't know what scores Derm PDs are looking for now. Also, I noticed the national average on Step 1 is increasing, so now a 235+ is no longer a good score.

I was published once in a journal with mediocre impact factor, due to the research I did as an undergraduate student.

If it matters, after failing anatomy, my adviser told me to full out Optho, Neurosurg. I was too scared to ask about Derm, which is why I am now asking random strangers on a forum.....

I am a first year medical student at an average medical school in the U.S.

I started medical school in August. The summer after graduating college and starting medical school, I was doing research full time. I came into medical school burned out. I ended up failing Anatomy, and just passing the next two modules. At the end of my first semester of medical school, we got some time off during winter break. I was able to recover from burnout, and I now feel back to my old self.

Are my chances at Dermatology completely ruined? I was interested in Derm at the beginning of medical school, but now I don't know.

Any tips on how to get back on track for Derm?

What are the latest trends in Derm step scores? They never released a recent NMRP charting outcomes, so I don't know what scores Derm PDs are looking for now. Also, I noticed the national average on Step 1 is increasing, so now a 235+ is no longer a good score.

I was published once in a journal with mediocre impact factor, due to the research I did as an undergraduate student.

They're not ruined but you're not off to the best start. Nothing you can do at this point about the failed anatomy course. Just rack up the honors and be sure to ace Step 1

I would recommend a 240+ to make sure you beat most national Step 1 cutoffs

They're not ruined but you're not off to the best start. Nothing you can do at this point about the failed anatomy course. Just rack up the honors and be sure to ace Step 1

I would recommend a 240+ to make sure you beat most national Step 1 cutoffs

Thank you for taking the time to reply A Small Child, and I am sorry about posting this in the wrong place. I am new to SDN. I will do my best to study harder from here on out. However, what if I rack up more passes and high passes with few honors in my preclinical years? In other words, how important are my preclinical grades? I know that AOA due to great preclinical grades will help, but I don't know if my performance will improve. 3rd/4th years are a different animal compared to first two years, which I am hoping works for me.

Thank you for taking the time to reply A Small Child, and I am sorry about posting this in the wrong place. I am new to SDN. I will do my best to study harder from here on out. However, what if I rack up more passes and high passes with few honors in my preclinical years? In other words, how important are my preclinical grades? I know that AOA due to great preclinical grades will help, but I don't know if my performance will improve. 3rd/4th years are a different animal compared to first two years, which I am hoping works for me.

No one likes to hear this but everything is important when applying for dermatology. I don't have the actual statistics in front of me but if it isn't the most competitive field to get into, it's usually the second most. Things are often linked too. Students who do well preclinically are usually the ones who do well clinically (not always but it always amuses me when students do poorly preclinically and assume they'll magically shine on the wards). Good preclinical grades are usually an indicator of how well you'll do on Step 1. You've already mentioned good preclinical grades are usually key for attaining AOA status.

At this stage, all you can do is put your head down and rack up better grades. Students have certainly matched into dermatology with less than stellar application packages but since you are so early in the game, you want to put your best foot forward so that you'll have the best application package to present come interview time as a MS4.

M3 with new interest in derm.
Step I 256.
Honors in surgery, ob gyn.
Mid tier school without derm program.
Limited research (non-derm) between M1-2 that did not net a publication.
Match possibility with current stats? Suggestions for finding research without derm dept? Do you recommend taking a year off for research?

Thanks!

I don't think you need to take time off with those stats. I would be very aggressive in seeking out research opportunities though at outside institutions if you don't have a home department.

This can be done through away rotations, simply asking while an MS3, or even setting up a research rotation as an MS4

I'm an MS3 planning to apply to Derm this fall. I had a family emergency occur over winter break that caused me to postpone my 8-week internal
medicine until the beginning of 4th year (early July). My concern is that the 8 wk rotation will push back my sub-Is and electives in derm till September at the earliest. It may also decrease the number of sub-Is I do. I know ERAS apps can go in Sept 15. I wasn't sure how essential it was to submit that ASAP and how the timing really worked. My dean brought up the possibility of taking a year off for research which I realize is a common strategy for more and more derm applicants. I'm just not sure how big of a setback my schedule change will be and whether taking the year off is worth the huge opportunity cost. Any advice?

Here are some of my stats if it'll influence your advice one way or the other:
Top 25 west coast MD program
Step 1: 260
I've honored the first 3 clerkships I've had so far (surgery, Peds, OB/gyn)
I have some decent volunteer and leadership experience
I've got about 5 research experiences (one solid publication and 2 case reports in derm)

Need advice. I'm a 3rd year student from a relatively new school (opened in last 10 years) without a home derm program.

Preclinicals : 10 A's 4 B's
Step 1: 251
Surg: B
Ob/Gyn: B
Peds: A
IM/FM (combined clerkship): A

One peer reviewed basic science research article in biochem from before med school.
One original research study in Medical Education being prepared for submission to a peer reviewed journal now (finalizing write up)
One case report submitted to the American journal of medicine.
Planning to try and get as many review articles and case reports possible during the second half of third year and during away rotations in derm.

I was president of imig, vp of AMA , and held a few other positions in clubs. I was elected to our schools honor counsel for two years. Don't have much in the way of volunteer activities, maybe one or two small things.

What are my chances and what are the best things I can be doing now to help myself out.

Thanks for the input

I'm curious as to what my chances (I'm an MS3) are:

Go to a California medical school (mid-upper tier)
Step 1: 245
Step 2: not yet taken
Pubs: will be doing a small research project with school's derm department, 1 first author derm pub in JID, 1 first author infectious disease pub, 3rd author on another derm publication, another ID pub pending review (will be 4th author). However I just decided to do derm, derm pubs were from a year off before med school....
Clerkships: High pass in 3 so far, hoping to honor the next 2-3 if I can...

Chances look good, your Step 1 score should be enough to get you past most filters, would recommend tacking on as many clinical honors as possible though.

Conflicted, but going for it:
Step 1 - 262
No AOA thus far, but possibly before ERAS, upper end of the class at a state school
Honored everything so far except Neuro, have FM/IM left
One non-derm basic science pub in a high-level journal, 3 derm reviews accepted (2 smaller journals, 1 JAAD), aiming for 7 total pubs.

I really have no qualms with applying medicine as a back-up (I love IM almost as much as derm) but my question is, how badly will I need to?
Also, what is the consensus on med/derm programs? Are they more or less competitive? Granted, the Harvard/Upenn/Northwestern ones are at least as competitive as their medicine programs.

Don't think you'll need to apply to IM as a backup but if you genuinely love IM just as much, it would be a good idea to use it as a backup and you should have your pick of where you want to go.

Med/derm programs are just as competitive as "regular" derm programs and if you search for med/derm threads, you'll find the general consensus is that it doesn't add much to your education if your goal is to practice "bread and butter" dermatology.

Need advice. I'm a 3rd year student from a relatively new school (opened in last 10 years) without a home derm program.

Preclinicals : 10 A's 4 B's
Step 1: 251
Surg: B
Ob/Gyn: B
Peds: A
IM/FM (combined clerkship): A

One peer reviewed basic science research article in biochem from before med school.
One original research study in Medical Education being prepared for submission to a peer reviewed journal now (finalizing write up)
One case report submitted to the American journal of medicine.
Planning to try and get as many review articles and case reports possible during the second half of third year and during away rotations in derm.

I was president of imig, vp of AMA , and held a few other positions in clubs. I was elected to our schools honor counsel for two years. Don't have much in the way of volunteer activities, maybe one or two small things.

What are my chances and what are the best things I can be doing now to help myself out.

Thanks for the input

Your chances look good, a lot of stuff you've mentioned is good but doesn't particularly help. High step 1 scores (which you have), sustained high grades (during preclinical and clinical years), AOA status, and meaningful research are the items that matter the most. Extracurricular/volunteer activities don't count as much for the derm match.

I'm an MS3 planning to apply to Derm this fall. I had a family emergency occur over winter break that caused me to postpone my 8-week internal
medicine until the beginning of 4th year (early July). My concern is that the 8 wk rotation will push back my sub-Is and electives in derm till September at the earliest. It may also decrease the number of sub-Is I do. I know ERAS apps can go in Sept 15. I wasn't sure how essential it was to submit that ASAP and how the timing really worked. My dean brought up the possibility of taking a year off for research which I realize is a common strategy for more and more derm applicants. I'm just not sure how big of a setback my schedule change will be and whether taking the year off is worth the huge opportunity cost. Any advice?

Here are some of my stats if it'll influence your advice one way or the other:
Top 25 west coast MD program
Step 1: 260
I've honored the first 3 clerkships I've had so far (surgery, Peds, OB/gyn)
I have some decent volunteer and leadership experience
I've got about 5 research experiences (one solid publication and 2 case reports in derm)

I would recommend taking the year off. You have excellent stats and it would be a waste to compromise your application process in any way.

You will still want/need as many subI's/electives in dermatology as possible and you'll want letters from those rotations. It probably isn't absolutely essential to submit by September 15th but most derm applicants do. It's tough telling you to take a year off with those stats but your best chance to match is your first chance. Tack on a year of research with your current stats and you should feel very confident when going through the match.

Hi everyone. Can you please give advice here? All of these posts on this thread have me feeling unsure about my chances. I was pretty sure that I would try for derm, but after reading the above posts I am rethinking my ability to get into derm. I knew it was competitive, but not THIS competitive. Here are my facts. Any help and guidance would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

- I go to a top 15 med school with derm program

- Step 1 = 248

- Going to take a year off to do research, so programs will see my Step 2 score (planning on it being higher than 248)

- Research: Won awards for 2 poster presentations, did 1 oral presentation, have 1 3rd author derm publication, have 1 first author derm article in submission. Will be paid to do research next year, hoping for 3 pubs.

- I go to a school without grades, but we have "letters of distinction" which I have none of, but good evals

- Will have good letters of rec because I have been interested in derm since day 1 of med school

- Other things: started own global health project (hopefully to be published), writing non-peer reviewed research articles for online derm website, developed computer software to teach dermatology to medical students, tutored second year medical students, volunteered regularly at derm free clinic, mentored an undergrad, served on admissions committee, leader of an interest group

THANK YOU!

Hi everyone. Can you please give advice here? All of these posts on this thread have me feeling unsure about my chances. I was pretty sure that I would try for derm, but after reading the above posts I am rethinking my ability to get into derm. I knew it was competitive, but not THIS competitive. Here are my facts. Any help and guidance would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

- I go to a top 15 med school with derm program

- Step 1 = 248

- Going to take a year off to do research, so programs will see my Step 2 score (planning on it being higher than 248)

- Research: Won awards for 2 poster presentations, did 1 oral presentation, have 1 3rd author derm publication, have 1 first author derm article in submission. Will be paid to do research next year, hoping for 3 pubs.

- I go to a school without grades, but we have "letters of distinction" which I have none of, but good evals

- Will have good letters of rec because I have been interested in derm since day 1 of med school

- Other things: started own global health project (hopefully to be published), writing non-peer reviewed research articles for online derm website, developed computer software to teach dermatology to medical students, tutored second year medical students, volunteered regularly at derm free clinic, mentored an undergrad, served on admissions committee, leader of an interest group

THANK YOU!

I don't think you will have any problems. Pedigree helps, your Step 1 score won't close any doors, and particularly if you are going to take a year off, you should feel very confident about your chances.

Still interested in derm...

Failed to match last year. Now in the middle of IM intern year at a solid (top 25%) IM program. 1 major JAAD publication in Nov., a few posters and abstracts. A few nonderm abstracts. 3rd quartile top 20 med school. step 1 233. step 2 248, step 3 229. I'm planning on doing a fellowship. I have already applied at one place that is historically good. What are other good places?

Hi everyone. I'm an MS3 with a late interest in dermatology, and interested to getting a feel for my chances.

-Step 1: mid 260s
-AOA: Unknown, but let's assume the worst case scenario and I'm not AOA.
-Medical school: Low to mid-tier state school with a dermatology department
-Research: 1 basic science, 2 posters, 1 oral presentation, and 2 manuscripts have been submitted. All are in a different field. I'm connecting with a local derm program, and in the process of setting something up
-Honors in clerkships: Everything so far
-Other: A lot of community service/volunteer work. Unique career prior to medical school, unrelated to medicine. I was on the exec board of a few clubs during second year.

My biggest concerns are the lack of devotion to the field, and lack of research. Am I in the position where I would need to take a year off to do a research fellowship and network, or am I competitive enough to apply during this coming cycle?

Hi everyone. I'm an MS3 with a late interest in dermatology, and interested to getting a feel for my chances.

-Step 1: mid 260s
-AOA: Unknown, but let's assume the worst case scenario and I'm not AOA.
-Medical school: Low to mid-tier state school with a dermatology department
-Research: 1 basic science, 2 posters, 1 oral presentation, and 2 manuscripts have been submitted. All are in a different field. I'm connecting with a local derm program, and in the process of setting something up
-Honors in clerkships: Everything so far
-Other: A lot of community service/volunteer work. Unique career prior to medical school, unrelated to medicine. I was on the exec board of a few clubs during second year.

My biggest concerns are the lack of devotion to the field, and lack of research. Am I in the position where I would need to take a year off to do a research fellowship and network, or am I competitive enough to apply during this coming cycle?

Looks like you should be fine. I would just be very aggressive about pursuing research now so you can hopefully have projects ready to publish prior to your application. If you wanted to take time off for a research fellowship, that would only further strengthen your application package

Still interested in derm...

Failed to match last year. Now in the middle of IM intern year at a solid (top 25%) IM program. 1 major JAAD publication in Nov., a few posters and abstracts. A few nonderm abstracts. 3rd quartile top 20 med school. step 1 233. step 2 248, step 3 229. I'm planning on doing a fellowship. I have already applied at one place that is historically good. What are other good places?

You should be applying to a swarm of dermatology research fellowships not just one. What do you mean by historically good? You mean reputation or actually taking their own fellows?

You should be applying to a swarm of dermatology research fellowships not just one. What do you mean by historically good? You mean reputation or actually taking their own fellows?

Yes, the ones that take their fellows, or the ones that get their fellows matched. Also, how many candidates apply to one derm fellowship?

Sorry for a slight repost. This forum always scares me with everyone's crazy awesome stats.

I'm a MS4 on a research year, applying next cycle. Trying to decide to apply derm or derm + internal med primary care (or family med) as a backup. I don't have crazy stats/grades. I also legitimately like outpatient medicine and family med so I'd be relatively happy if I matched into those. But, i'm a derm geek and figure I should follow my passions. Will have good, very personal letters, and I like to think I'm a sociable/likeable person in interviews. Sort of worried I won't get too many though. Research is probably my strength and I don't think I'll have any problem justifying why I'm interested in derm. Also away rotations? (Yea? Nay?).

I wanna stay on the West Coast or a major metro area elsewhere. Have connections to 2 programs (own medical school, + 1 other local institution). Married, so sort of picky in terms of where my wife can find a legal job (major metro areas only really). I think my initial list has 58 programs on it for derm, so I'm still planning on applying broadly. The thought of applying to multiple specialties sounds sort of exhausting though. But, I don't want to go unmatched. I got me some loans to pay back.

Top 5 Medical School
Step I: 239 Step II: 241
Medical School does not do AOA
Pre-clinical (P/F system): Pass
Clinical Grade (Pass/Honors): ~60% Honors, ~40% Pass
Clinical Grades (Pass/Fail): All Pass
Few local and national scholarships
Research year after MS3 at Top 10 institution, clinical epi, derm related, self-funded project, won 3 local/national research grants
4 pubs, (2nd author basic science non-derm, 1st author review derm, 1st author derm case report major journal, 2nd author derm review article)
3 published abstracts (all 1st author)
Tons of conference presentations (10+), mostly not-derm related
2 derm and 2 non-derm (medical education) pubs in preparation, who knows if they'll be submitted/accepted by then

Yes, the ones that take their fellows, or the ones that get their fellows matched. Also, how many candidates apply to one derm fellowship?

I don't know any candidates that apply to only one derm fellowship, unless they had some type of connection (previous research with the faculty member).

I know it's a huge leap for derm, but I want to know if I should even bother wasting time & money applying/interviewing with my stats:

US-MD, 80-90th ranked school
Step 1: 244
Honored about half my classes 1st & 2nd year, HS the rest
Honored all my clinicals (Med, OB, Ped) so far
2 research exp, 1 poster, 0 pubs
5+ volunteering
Strong letters from Med, Ped, Anesthesia attendings

You look like you would be fine, your Step 1 should pass most filters. I would make sure you start making connections with the derm department and get involved with derm research. Tack on strong performances on your derm subIs and you should be fine

Sorry for a slight repost. This forum always scares me with everyone's crazy awesome stats.

I'm a MS4 on a research year, applying next cycle. Trying to decide to apply derm or derm + internal med primary care (or family med) as a backup. I don't have crazy stats/grades. I also legitimately like outpatient medicine and family med so I'd be relatively happy if I matched into those. But, i'm a derm geek and figure I should follow my passions. Will have good, very personal letters, and I like to think I'm a sociable/likeable person in interviews. Sort of worried I won't get too many though. Research is probably my strength and I don't think I'll have any problem justifying why I'm interested in derm. Also away rotations? (Yea? Nay?).

I wanna stay on the West Coast or a major metro area elsewhere. Have connections to 2 programs (own medical school, + 1 other local institution). Married, so sort of picky in terms of where my wife can find a legal job (major metro areas only really). I think my initial list has 58 programs on it for derm, so I'm still planning on applying broadly. The thought of applying to multiple specialties sounds sort of exhausting though. But, I don't want to go unmatched. I got me some loans to pay back.

Top 5 Medical School
Step I: 239 Step II: 241
Medical School does not do AOA
Pre-clinical (P/F system): Pass
Clinical Grade (Pass/Honors): ~60% Honors, ~40% Pass
Clinical Grades (Pass/Fail): All Pass
Few local and national scholarships
Research year after MS3 at Top 10 institution, clinical epi, derm related, self-funded project, won 3 local/national research grants
4 pubs, (2nd author basic science non-derm, 1st author review derm, 1st author derm case report major journal, 2nd author derm review article)
3 published abstracts (all 1st author)
Tons of conference presentations (10+), mostly not-derm related
2 derm and 2 non-derm (medical education) pubs in preparation, who knows if they'll be submitted/accepted by then

You should be in the driver's seat particularly after having taken a year off for research. Since you may be geographically restricted, I would recommend doing away rotations.

You can search the forums but in general, most people recommend against the derm + IM programs unless you have a very good reason for pursuing the IM portion. You can certainly use FM as a backup, with those stats, I don't think you'll need a backup and should that scenario arise, I don't see you needing more than a handful of FM interviews

You should be in the driver's seat particularly after having taken a year off for research. Since you may be geographically restricted, I would recommend doing away rotations.

You can search the forums but in general, most people recommend against the derm + IM programs unless you have a very good reason for pursuing the IM portion. You can certainly use FM as a backup, with those stats, I don't think you'll need a backup and should that scenario arise, I don't see you needing more than a handful of FM interviews

I actually meant Derm and Internal Medicine as separate matches rather than combined programs. I'm personally not a fan of combined residency programs in any specialty in general (I think it dilutes the training and ultimately doesn't add too much to your career trajectory).

I feel like I've gotten various opinions about away rotations. Most of the other medical students at my institution advise against it as they feel its more an opportunity to look bad than good. Most of the residents I've talked to say they all did away rotations and felt they were beneficial.