Opinions for FMRP in Southern CA for Away Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rierphfft

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a 3rd year wanting to come back to Southern CA (grew up there) for residency. I will be home for a month in July to do an away and would like some honest advice regarding the different programs. Ideally I want to try to do an away at an institution I am most likely to apply to, and these include: UCLA, Harbor-UCLA, Long Beach Memorial, and possibly USC and White Memorial. I read about some legal trouble White Memorial had a few years back, but wonder if that has impacted the program. My top three (mostly for location) are UCLA, Harbor, and Long Beach Memorial. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your interests. I can only speak to my impressions of Harbor and UCLA, both of which are very much on the "opposed" end of the spectrum of programs (Long Beach is unopposed as I understand). Harbor is very dedicated to serving the underserved and addressing health disparities in vulnerable populations (many programs say they are interested in this but Harbor was perhaps the most dedicated to this mission of all the programs I interviewed at). At UCLA you will see a higher income population, for the most part. The UCLA clinic seemed much more innovative and smoothly run, and the program has a lot more resources. If I remember correctly, UCLA had strong sports med as well. Neither of the programs were very strong in OB or women's health. I personally was really impressed with the people at the Harbor program, but that is colored by my particular interests. I'd say if underserved medicine is your thing, go Harbor. If you are more interested in academic medicine/ sports med/ clinic innovation, go UCLA. You probably can't go wrong with an away rotation at either - you will get a good idea of what you like/ don't like even if it isn't where you end up! Do a rotation wherever you will have the easier commute!

Thanks for the advice! I think Harbor would be the easier commute for me and I've been there for other things, so I'll probably put that one first on my list. I've already reached out to Long Beach but they're already full, so I'll have to concentrate my efforts on UCLA and Harbor. Just out of curiosity, what was your overall impression in terms of the amount of exposure to Pediatric patients at either of those programs?