Opinions from people that are in the field, What healthcare career has the happiest people?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkgrubby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have touched upon alot of healthcare jobs and just genuinely confused on what I want. I read alot on careers and see all these pros and cons which just makes me second guess what I want to do. WHich career has really bright hopes with little competition. Ultimately I want is decent money, not grueling work, and stressful work. So would just like opinions on what you guys think would offer me this.

Members don't see this ad.

What is 'decent' money to you? That varies a lot between different people, so you should define it, rather than let us guess what that means for you.

What makes you want a job in healthcare in the first place?

What do you enjoy doing? What careers have you explored already?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have touched upon alot of healthcare jobs and just genuinely confused on what I want. I read alot on careers and see all these pros and cons which just makes me second guess what I want to do. WHich career has really bright hopes with little competition. Ultimately I want is decent money, not grueling work, and stressful work. So would just like opinions on what you guys think would offer me this.
NP, PA, or Dentistry.

What is 'decent' money to you? That varies a lot between different people, so you should define it, rather than let us guess what that means for you.

What makes you want a job in healthcare in the first place?

What do you enjoy doing? What careers have you explored already?

Decent money is 70k and up. I wanna have a good living and not have to worry about bills and such with money on the side to buy certain things. Healthcare, cause I like communicating and helping people, wanna work with a purpose to change peoples lives. But I am fine doing something else if I see that the opportunities are better. I explored dentistry, pa, and podiatry.

For dentistry, I just feel like high cost of tuition 300-400k, dental chains, and amount of dental schools there are, there is gonna be massive competition. Plus once you get out of school with that debt you will eventually open up your own practice which costs much more money. If I can get into military scholarship then I will be fine with it.

PA and NP are good, just want more autonomy. I have heard of PA opening their own business and hiring doctors. If that is possible I will take heavy consideration.

I like podiatry as well, but I am not really into surgery and hate the mandatory 3 years of residency.

Decent money is 70k and up. I wanna have a good living and not have to worry about bills and such with money on the side to buy certain things. Healthcare, cause I like communicating and helping people, wanna work with a purpose to change peoples lives. But I am fine doing something else if I see that the opportunities are better. I explored dentistry, pa, and podiatry.

For dentistry, I just feel like high cost of tuition 300-400k, dental chains, and amount of dental schools there are, there is gonna be massive competition. Plus once you get out of school with that debt you will eventually open up your own practice which costs much more money. If I can get into military scholarship then I will be fine with it.

PA and NP are good, just want more autonomy. I have heard of PA opening their own business and hiring doctors. If that is possible I will take heavy consideration.

I like podiatry as well, but I am not really into surgery and hate the mandatory 3 years of residency.
Good lesson for you to learn now as a college student: You can't have it all. You can't have your cake, and eat it too. Every field has +s and -s. Also I don't think dental school is 300K-400K unless you go to maybe NYU.

Reactions: 1 users
Good lesson for you to learn now as a college student: You can't have it all. You can't have your cake, and eat it too. Every field has +s and -s. Also I don't think dental school is 300K-400K unless you go to maybe NYU.

Yeah, I am already done with college. So just been working and volunteering. Dental school debt is very high. WHat do you do for a living dermviser?

Yeah, I am already done with college. So just been working and volunteering. Dental school debt is very high. WHat do you do for a living dermviser?
Cosmetology.

Reactions: 4 users

Then you're barking up the wrong tree by posting in the Allo forum. Medicine is not going to be any better than podiatry, except that you can probably avoid the surgery aspect after your third year of med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Then you're barking up the wrong tree by posting in the pre-allo forum. Medicine is not going to be any better than podiatry, except that you can probably avoid the surgery aspect after your third year of med school.

If you could go back what career would you consider mvenus929?

Flexibility, only 2 years of schooling, very high return on investment.
yes I agree. Only thing I dislike is having to see your md supervisor. Alot of these mds I work with at the hospital can be real douche bags and have this superiority mindset that they are better than everyone else, can be a real drain.

yes I agree. Only thing I dislike is having to see your md supervisor. Alot of these mds I work with at the hospital can be real douche bags and have this superiority mindset that they are better than everyone else, can be a real drain.
You're so right, those physicians can have a real huge chip on their shoulders sometimes. You'd think it was bc they did 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, and then 3-7 years of residency and they are ultimately responsible.

Reactions: 3 users
You're so right, those physicians can have a real huge chip on their shoulders sometimes. You'd think it was bc they did 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, and then 3-7 years of residency and they are ultimately responsible.
yeah true, but I was referring in a social setting too. Just simple interaction with other coworkers, you can deff feel that they huge egos and feel superior to everyone else. At least among dentists that I have shadowed you do not get that, they treat their coworkers well even though they are their boss.

Reactions: 1 user
yeah true, but I was referring in a social setting too. Just simple interaction with other coworkers, you can deff feel that they huge egos and feel superior to everyone else. At least among dentists that I have shadowed you do not get that, they treat their coworkers well even though they are their boss.
But dentists also hire their own workers bc they work in private practices, unlike doctors who are employees of the hospitals and thus don't hire their own workers.

If you could go back what career would you consider mvenus929?

I'd still be a physician. Granted, I haven't been through the worst part of the training yet, but it provides me the most opportunities for what I want to do in life (patient care, advocacy, teaching, research). But it does not seem to be the path that you want to head down.

But dentists also hire their own workers bc they work in private practices, unlike doctors who are employees of the hospitals and thus don't hire their own workers.

yeah very true

From all you have said, it sounds like you'd benefit from shadowing more or forging relationships with various healthcare professionals.. Any shadowing in the healthcare field will add to your resume regardless. Maybe get out of whatever circle is giving you such a negative impression and see what a whole life in a certain career is like. I don't know your current position, but all of the careers you mention have 'bright futures' and MORE than 'decent salaries'! I'm sure there are plenty of physicians out there who defy your current impression. And I know there are specialties that fit your ideals, but maybe that's biased to my own impression. Best of luck to you!

From all you have said, it sounds like you'd benefit from shadowing more or forging relationships with various healthcare professionals.. Any shadowing in the healthcare field will add to your resume regardless. Maybe get out of whatever circle is giving you such a negative impression and see what a whole life in a certain career is like. I don't know your current position, but all of the careers you mention have 'bright futures' and MORE than 'decent salaries'! I'm sure there are plenty of physicians out there who defy your current impression. And I know there are specialties that fit your ideals, but maybe that's biased to my own impression. Best of luck to you!

I probably like dentistry the most. If its anything that I always felt I was, I always felt like I was a businessman. I shadowed a chiro, dentist, pt, pa/md, phar, so far. What do you do for a living jjkenzie

Go into dentistry, but make sure you go to a state school and keep your debt down.

I probably like dentistry the most. If its anything that I always felt I was, I always felt like I was a businessman. I shadowed a chiro, dentist, pt, pa/md, phar, so far. What do you do for a living jjkenzie

You realize DermViser is a dermatologist and is messing with you right? My father is a dentist and he recommended against me going into dentistry because of the intense amount of competition. My aunt is a cosmetologist after her two year degree she can't make enough to make a living. PAs hiring physicians? It's the other way around in 99.9% of cases.

You realize DermViser is a dermatologist and is messing with you right? My father is a dentist and he recommended against me going into dentistry because of the intense amount of competition. My aunt is a cosmetologist after her two year degree she can't make enough to make a living. PAs hiring physicians? It's the other way around in 99.9% of cases.

I found this woman on youtube in a white coat popping pimples, looked her up and found out she has a "LT, CME". Is that a cosmetology degree?

I found this woman on youtube in a white coat popping pimples, looked her up and found out she has a "LT, CME". Is that a cosmetology degree?

Laser Technician and Certified Medical Esthetician

Sorry I am curious. Why is it "you can't have your cake, and eat it too"? Wouldn't it make more sense if it was "You can't eat your cake and have it too"? Or am I being silly?

This begs the question of whether or not the same specialty can have very happy pleasant offices, and just the opposite. Part of this might depend on management.

Judging from personal experience, the ED has good days where staff/nurses are mostly in good moods (and occasional grumpy days usually due to patients with unpleasant behavior), neurology seems kind of rushed and the patients are often crabby for some reason (maybe that was only a coincidence of 7 times in a row). And I cannot explain this at all, but the STD clinic has a particularly happy and proactive group. (<-- I think a good number of them are involved in the community doing educational outreach.)

Keep in mind that it's been said that 40% of all medical students end up in primary care.

medical marijuana dispensary owners.

Paul Brians, Professor of English at Washington State University, points out that perhaps a more logical or easier to understand version of this saying is, "You can’t eat your cake and have it too." Professor Brians writes that a common source of confusion about this idiom stems from the verb to have which in this case indicates that once eaten, keeping possession of the cake is no longer possible, seeing that it is in your stomach (and no longer exists as a cake).

Right from the wiki...

This begs the question of whether or not the same specialty can have very happy pleasant offices, and just the opposite. Part of this might depend on management.
Reminds me of the thread of the someone else asking whether certain specialties would allow him to work in a building that wasn't a hospital.

I have shadowed both dentists and doctors over the past few years ( both fields appealed to me) on the whole the dentists seemed much happier. Some doctors have told me straight up to avoid medicine (one is a relative) which kind of got me feeling weird. lol. Many dentists are working 4 days a week clocking under 40 hours and laughing all the way to the bank…i.e. $250 k+ income. Having said all this I am registered for mcat @ end of summer so guess I am choosing to attempt the less opportune path from what I gathered. Seems like you have more options with medicine, but both fields honestly seem really good. I feel it is like driving a BMW versus Mercedes, both pretty sweet--but what do you prefer? Either way you are doing better than 95% of society..

OP, I can't tell you what you should do with your life, but I'd advise you against going to med school. Medicine has none of the criteria you're looking for with the exception of a decent salary, and who knows how long that will last.

To head off your next question, I'd have done academic pharmacy if I could do it all again.

If you prefer working with computers over working with people and you are good at math, I'd suggest MS in biostatistics and a career as a statistical analyst. Little competition, good money, and steady work in a quiet, climate controlled environment with minimal interaction with annoying people.

If you prefer working with people over working with machines, I'd suggest one of the allied health professions such as speech therapy.

You will find happy people in all fields of medicine - even those that are extremely stressful and demanding. You will find plenty of people in fields that don't pay much (relative to other fields). The key to happiness is finding something that you enjoy and provides you some sense of fulfillment in the course of the work. Doing that requires that you know yourself well and flesh out your expectations and goals for your life. It's hard to say what field will make you as an individual happy because no one knows you as well as you, and you'll likely start working out what is most interesting when you get into the clerkship year. There are some fields that are relatively "low stress" and "not grueling" as well as "pay well." However, even for those fields the delayed gratification is significant, and you will go through a minimum of 7 years of variable degrees of suck before reaching that point. For some of those fields (e.g., derm), there is no guarantee that you will perform at a level well enough to be a competitive applicant for the field. For others (e.g., psych), the field isn't competitive but is unliked by many people, and there's no guarantee that you wouldn't be one of them.

I suppose the take-home point is that going into medicine strictly with the expectation of "easy job" and "high pay" isn't a good strategy. I would say there are some of those jobs are available (depending on your definition of "easy" and "high pay"), but, as mentioned, there is no guarantee you will have that in your future. IMO going through medical school and residency to land a job in something you hate would be both a waste of time and money. If you don't have some intrinsic interest in what being a physician involves, you will probably be miserable during the journey.

Reactions: 4 users
You will find happy people in all fields of medicine - even those that are extremely stressful and demanding. You will find plenty of people in fields that don't pay much (relative to other fields). The key to happiness is finding something that you enjoy and provides you some sense of fulfillment in the course of the work. Doing that requires that you know yourself well and flesh out your expectations and goals for your life. It's hard to say what field will make you as an individual happy because no one knows you as well as you, and you'll likely start working out what is most interesting when you get into the clerkship year. There are some fields that are relatively "low stress" and "not grueling" as well as "pay well." However, even for those fields the delayed gratification is significant, and you will go through a minimum of 7 years of variable degrees of suck before reaching that point. For some of those fields (e.g., derm), there is no guarantee that you will perform at a level well enough to be a competitive applicant for the field. For others (e.g., psych), the field isn't competitive but is unliked by many people, and there's no guarantee that you wouldn't be one of them.

I suppose the take-home point is that going into medicine strictly with the expectation of "easy job" and "high pay" isn't a good strategy. I would say there are some of those jobs are available (depending on your definition of "easy" and "high pay"), but, as mentioned, there is no guarantee you will have that in your future. IMO going through medical school and residency to land a job in something you hate would be both a waste of time and money. If you don't have some intrinsic interest in what being a physician involves, you will probably be miserable during the journey.
I think for medical students it's hard to separate liking medicine to liking a specific medical specialty. I think that's what sucks when it comes to medicine. Telling a medical student that he/she should also apply to a back up specialty is an anathema to the ideal that we can do anything we set our minds to, etc.

I never had an intention of going to medical school, it doesn't make sense to me unless you have crazy passion for it to put up with all that bull****. As far as what will make me happy, I don't know. People say do what you love all the time, but doing what I love would be like playing games, going surfing, doing mma all impractical for making money. I am at the point of being frustrated of finding that perfect job that makes me happy and just choose a career that I am okay with, don't necessarily have to love it. As long as it provides me with a comfortable living I can use that extra money to spend stuff on other things I want to do.

One question I have is lets say this dentist thing doesn't work out. I plan on applying and my stats aren't very good at the low 3.0, so if I don't get in what are my options? I plan to take a year of post bac right now and apply, but dentistry is real competitive. If it doesn't work out, what other professions can I look into that would provide me a good lifestyle. I have relatives of friends who apply to med and dental school like 4 or 5 times in a row and they got in their last try. I don't know if I am willing to put my life on hold like that. Thats 5 years of constant rejection, (unless you have a real good job to support yourself during those times) it seems impractical for me to do such a thing. Plus I am living in my parents house and need to get my life moving.

One question I have is lets say this dentist thing doesn't work out. I plan on applying and my stats aren't very good at the low 3.0, so if I don't get in what are my options? I plan to take a year of post bac right now and apply, but dentistry is real competitive. If it doesn't work out, what other professions can I look into that would provide me a good lifestyle. I have relatives of friends who apply to med and dental school like 4 or 5 times in a row and they got in their last try. I don't know if I am willing to put my life on hold like that. Thats 5 years of constant rejection, (unless you have a real good job to support yourself during those times) it seems impractical for me to do such a thing. Plus I am living in my parents house and need to get my life moving.
Pharmacy has a decent lifestyle and anyone can get in, all you need is a pulse.

From what I've seen, most veterinarians are happy with their choice.

(However, the amount of debt and the expected income will leave you pinched for a while.)

I know of a PA who got a job working in the ER 3 days on and 4 days off straight out of PA school. He recently got his dream car (hasn't even been a year since he graduated). Think about it again, no working 70 hours as a resident and accumulating debt and only hoping to buy a dream car 5-10 years after working as an attending!!!

Sorry I am curious. Why is it "you can't have your cake, and eat it too"? Wouldn't it make more sense if it was "You can't eat your cake and have it too"? Or am I being silly?
You are correct. That was the original saying and people have messed it up over the years. It also tipped off Ted Kaczinski's brother that Ted was the unabomber after he read that line in the manifesto because Ted was a stickler for that stuff. He got caught because of that phrase.

Pharmacy has a decent lifestyle and anyone can get in, all you need is a pulse.
I read alot on forums and from personal experience between pharmacist is that its over saturated hard to find a full time job. One of my brothers friend she has to do part time at one place and drive somewhere else to do part time. Plus chem was never my strong suit. What are some other back ups to consider?

Also I often question of taking this approach since its delayed gratification, where you spend more time, stress, and debt to achieve a higher income. Where in comparison to my friends who got jobs in engineering, accounting, comp sci for example get immediate gratification where most find jobs with good salary straight out of undergrad.

Last edited: