Opinions on Chiropractic Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, not sure if this is the best place to put this but it seems appropriate.

Is there a general consensus on how legit chiropractic care is? It seems like some sources I read claim most chiropractors are "quacks" and don't really do anything. What do you think?

Personally I never felt much better after going to my chiropractor but I also never went consistently. I really want to try ART (active release technique) treatment but my insurance doesn't cover it so I'm considering trying my old chiropractor consistently. Nothing serious but I have all these little things like feet hurting, discomfort in my shoulder and back, etc..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Oh boy howdy...this is a hornet's nest here on SDN. There are a few passionate chiros who pop up and malign MDs (DOs, not so much), and some supposed MDs who take the tack you have.

One of my med school classmates was a DC. He said there were two groups: the first were normal folks who knew what their treatment did and did not do, and the other half were the "chiroquacks", who said chiropractic would and could treat and cure any and everything. The trick was in deciding who is whom. My best friend's wife's sister (got that?) is a chiroquack. She also makes more $$ than I do.

Oh boy howdy...this is a hornet's nest here on SDN. There are a few passionate chiros who pop up and malign MDs (DOs, not so much), and some supposed MDs who take the tack you have.

One of my med school classmates was a DC. He said there were two groups: the first were normal folks who knew what their treatment did and did not do, and the other half were the "chiroquacks", who said chiropractic would and could treat and cure any and everything. The trick was in deciding who is whom. My best friend's wife's sister (got that?) is a chiroquack. She also makes more $$ than I do.

Yea I think that's something I read about with "Straight" vs "mixed" chiropractors.

Any idea or experience with how effective they can be if seen on a consistent basis? Not with "any and everything" but with typical things like back and shoulder aches/pains

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go see a DO who specializes in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine/Neuromusculoskeletal if I were in your shoes.

You get better results for back pain (the only thing a chiro can actually treat) with massage and physical therapy without the unnecessary risk of manipulation, or dangerous exposure to woo.

I'd go see a DO who specializes in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine/Neuromusculoskeletal if I were in your shoes.

Just be sure to bring LOTS of cash with you.:p

You get better results for back pain (the only thing a chiro can actually treat) with massage and physical therapy without the unnecessary risk of manipulation, or dangerous exposure to woo.

Well the thing about my chiropractor is...it's free :D

I'd personally rather see a sports therapist/physical therapist because I'm into working out and that's probably where some of the problems stem but that's not covered by insurance as far as I know.

Well the thing about my chiropractor is...it's free :D

I'd personally rather see a sports therapist/physical therapist because I'm into working out and that's probably where some of the problems stem but that's not covered by insurance as far as I know.

Find a chiro knowledgeable in that area. There are lots of them.

Find a chiro knowledgeable in that area. There are lots of them.

I'm guessing you mean a knowledgeable chiropractor? I think my guy is good, I called and realized the most consistently I went was 4x in one yea, another year was once and another was 2-3x lol so I never really went consistently. I know my dad says he notices a difference and actually went with this guy when the guy left the main practice my dad went to because he liked his results so who knows.

The other side to it is, I often hear about people getting injured and then getting back to being "fine", but as far as these little things go (sore back, shoulders, etc..) maybe that's just something people have to live with? I really don't know...but I don't want to think about how it'll be when I'm 70 in that case :D