Opinions on DS1s buying used dental kits from upperclassmen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterOfNone15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm an incoming DS1 and I'm seeing a lot of posts on my class Facebook page from graduating DS4s who are looking to sell their first/second year dental kits. Someone mentioned that the kit is originally $10,000...these used kits are apparently in "good" condition and are averaging around $1,500-$3000. It sounds awesome to be able to save so much money but since I'm new to dental school and dental materials, I don't know if buying a used kit is a good idea. I asked my cousin who graduated from dental school 2 years ago about this and she said she doesn't see how the kits can be sold because some of the materials like typodonts probably can't be reused. She also said that there are a lot of materials in the kit that are never used so maybe that's why these students are saying the kits are still good. I'm not going to the same school as her and I'm aware that every school runs their clinic differently so I wanted to get some opinions from current dental students on this issue. Would any of you guys recommend a new student buying a used first/second year dental kit in hopes to save money?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That wasn't an option for us, but if I had an opportunity to buy used kits I definitely would have looked into it. Your best bet here is talking a several upperclassmen (message them on Facebook or something), and figure out what usually comes in the first year kit and what you are getting in the used kit. If you post a list of items we can probably give you a better idea if buying new is advisable, of if you can get away with used. First year orders vary a lot school to school, so what I bought first year may look nothing like your supply order.

Hi everyone! I'm an incoming DS1 and I'm seeing a lot of posts on my class Facebook page from graduating DS4s who are looking to sell their first/second year dental kits. Someone mentioned that the kit is originally $10,000...these used kits are apparently in "good" condition and are averaging around $1,500. It sounds awesome to be able to save so much money but since I'm new to dental school and dental materials, I don't know if buying a used kit is a good idea. I asked my cousin who graduated from dental school 2 years ago about this and she said she doesn't see how the kits can be sold because some of the materials like typodonts probably can't be reused. She also said that there are a lot of materials in the kit that are never used so maybe that's why these students are saying the kits are still good. I'm not going to the same school as her and I'm aware that every school runs their clinic differently so I wanted to get some opinions from current dental students on this issue. Would any of you guys recommend a new student buying a used first/second year dental kit in hopes to save money?
I doubt you can turn down the new kit. I would buy certain individual things from the D4s, like typodonts. Make sure you buy them very cheap, because these guys are desperate to sell.