Opinions on mandatory e-prescribing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ALL BULL----- This is the way the world is now and e-scribing will have no effect on that. People are dealing with these issues right now and that has nothing to do with electronic prescribing of prescriptions. Period, end of report. This is what we have Please show me how many people have been injured. They would sue. The papers would be all over it. Trouble is you anecdotal reports of patient's being inconvenienced with NO PROOF OF harm. You have much prrof for this assertion as Zetia does for preventing heart attacks, none.

You object to the inability to transfer controls more than once and not at all in New York. Please start a separate thread as this is a derail and is not germane to electronic prescribing.
You're arguing harm. I'm arguing access. Go argue harm somewhere else...

What is the obsession with "patient safety" lately?! "Patient safety" can be used to argue for anything; this is pharmacy afterall.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is the cost of electronic prescriptions? I believe the software vendor charges the pharmacy something like $0.30 for the privilege of receiving an electronic prescription. If the person typing it in makes a mistake and has to resend it then it's another $0.30. If you have to switch it to something covered by insurance it's another $0.30 to send something else. If the patient never comes to pick it up and you have to return it to stock then it's a waste of $0.30. This seems small and insignificant but pharmacies will be paying for something they used to get for free. Pharmacies still have to re type the entire prescription because there is a lack of standards with sig codes and drug codes with the software programs.

Pharmacists at $50+ dollars per hour cost money to transcribe verbal orders. Increased efficiency=more profit.

Reactions: 1 user
You're arguing harm. I'm arguing access. Go argue harm somewhere else...

What is the obsession with "patient safety" lately?! "Patient safety" can be used to argue for anything; this is pharmacy afterall.

If pharmacy is not about patient safety first and foremost? Secondly my argument access will NOT be appreciably effected by mandating electronic prescribing. Since when did access become the card that trumps all others. I don't notice wa whole lot of people dying from allergies and sinus congestion because of the reduction in access to pseudoephedrine not even the huy who is going to China for three years and shows up at the pharmacy 5 minutes before his flight to buy a years supply.......

Finally whenever society attempts to change or improve something, you weight the benefits against the risks. The benefits to society are greater than your make believe non existent 5 minutes before closing leaving the country when the doctor is out of town on vacation and nobody is covering for her so her kid can't take her Diastat to Disneyworld in case the roller coaster induces a seizure and you will be sued for murder fairy tale of delayed access to medication.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If pharmacy is not about patient safety first and foremost? Secondly my argument access will NOT be appreciably effected by mandating electronic prescribing. Since when did access become the card that trumps all others. I don't notice wa whole lot of people dying from allergies and sinus congestion because of the reduction in access to pseudoephedrine not even the huy who is going to China for three years and shows up at the pharmacy 5 minutes before his flight to buy a years supply.......

Finally whenever society attempts to change or improve something, you weight the benefits against the risks. The benefits to society are greater than your make believe non existent 5 minutes before closing leaving the country when the doctor is out of town on vacation and nobody is covering for her so her kid can't take her Diastat to Disneyworld in case the roller coaster induces a seizure and you will be sued for murder fairy tale of delayed access to medication.
The examples that I gave are not out of the ordinary or fairy tale or even unreasonable. Look. Just the other day, two people brought in scripts for meperidine 50mg, and in the hectic crossfire that is retail pharmacy, they were both told that we had the medication in stock. In the end, one person got their script and the other person had to go elsewhere, because we unknowingly promised a portion of the fifty pills that were in the bottle to each person.

It's impractical to believe that pharmacies will be able to fulfill everyone's script that's e-scribed over. So instead of voicemails from the doctor's office, pharmacies will be getting calls left and right from frantic people who are worried about a situation just like I described, because they can't transfer their electronic, controlled prescription if it's out of stock, etc. etc.

I don't really care if people call to check stock each and every time they plan on getting a controlled substance. It's no sweat off my back, because I won't have to deal with it in this state.

And come on now. You know how doctors prescribe. They write for the same drugs over and over and over again. Pharmacies routinely get rushes for certain drugs that seemingly come out of nowhere.

Last edited:
The examples that I gave are not out of the ordinary or fairy tale or even unreasonable. Look. Just the other day, two people brought in scripts for meperidine 50mg, and in the hectic crossfire that is retail pharmacy, they were both told that we had the medication in stock. In the end, one person got their script and the other person had to go elsewhere, because we unknowingly promised a portion of the fifty pills that were in the bottle to each person.

It's impractical to believe that pharmacies will be able to fulfill everyone's script that's e-scribed over. So instead of voicemails from the doctor's office, pharmacies will be getting calls left and right from frantic people who are worried about a situation just like I described, because they can't transfer their electronic, controlled prescription if it's out of stock, etc. etc.

I don't really care if people call to check stock each and every time they plan on getting a controlled substance. It's no sweat off my back, because I won't have to deal with it in this state.

And come on now. You know how doctors prescribe. They write for the same drugs over and over and over again. Pharmacies routinely get rushes for certain drugs that seemingly come out of nowhere.

Then they can recall the first and send it to another place. The same as if the patient took the hard copy to another place.... You are creating barriers that can be easily surmounted and acting like they are Mt. Everest

Then they can recall the first and send it to another place. The same as if the patient took the hard copy to another place.... You are creating barriers that can be easily surmounted and acting like they are Mt. Everest
There would need to be a system in place to recall prescriptions that inconveniences everyone as little as possible while still giving patients full access to their prescriptions. You're creating outs that can be easily surmounted and acting like they are foolproof. So now a doctor or someone from their office will have to call and move a prescription every time a pharmacy is out of stock on a controlled substance?

There would need to be a system in place to recall prescriptions that inconveniences everyone as little as possible while still giving patients full access to their prescriptions. You're creating outs that can be easily surmounted and acting like they are foolproof. So now a doctor or someone from their office will have to call and move a prescription every time a pharmacy is out of stock on a CII?

You cling to your ideas and I will cling to mine. My way is the future. So put your big girl panties on and get used to it. Whatever issues arise will be dealt with. This won't happen next week, but it will happen..... and nobody will die because of this policy change

You cling to your ideas and I will cling to mine. My way is the future. So put your big girl panties on and get used to it. Whatever issues arise will be dealt with. This won't happen next week, but it will happen..... and nobody will die because of this policy change
meh