Opinions on my chance, please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AltitudeClimb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

If you would evaluate my situation and let me know your honest opinion (Seems to be no problem here) of the chance I have to get into a DO School.

I graduated in December of 2010 with my Bachelors. Attended a community college for two years before that. While in school, I never wanted to be a doctor, but I have recently wanted to pursue this as an option. I have been working at a food company in Quality Assurance since May 2011.

While in college I worried more about hanging out with people and running than grades. I spent little to no time studying. Average college student I suppose... Since graduating, I have matured a lot as a person by simply getting older (25 yrs old now), going through life, having a "real job", paying bills, managing time better etc...

I know my GPA is not the greatest, but here are my stats:

Overall

sGPA = 3.04
3.44 non science
cGPA = 3.20

To break it down even further:

University

cGPA = 2.98
sGPA = 2.63

Community College

cGPA = 3.40
sGPA = 3.63

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my science grades:

A - Biology 1 - 100 level (I got a "D" the first time, "A" the second time
A - Biology 2 - 100 level
A - Chem 1 - 100 level
B - Chem 2 - 100 level
C - Organic 1 - 300 level
B - Organic 2 - 300 level
B - Physics 1 - trig based
A - Microbiology - 200 level
A - Nutrition 100 level
A - Nutrition 200 level
A - Statistics
C - Trigonometry
C - Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy - 300 level
C - Ecology - 300 level
C - Gross Anatomy - 400 level
B - Biochemistry - 300 level
B - Mammalian Physiology - 300 level
C - Immunology - 400 level
A - Freshman Seminar - 100 level
B - Senior Seminar/Research Paper - 400 level

----------------------------------------------------------

I obviously would need to retake some classes. I thought about retaking these from University:

If I received a "B" in these classes my cGPA would rise to 3.33, sGPA 3.26.

If I received an "A" in these classes my cGPA would rise to 3.46, sGPA 3.48

There are five other classes I received a "C" in from Community College that I could retake.These classes are:

Compositon 1
Literature
Trig
Art Appreciation
Sociology

If I received an "A" in these classes my cGPA would then be 3.71, sGPA 3.56. IS it pointless to retake some of these? I also thought about taking new upper level science classes like Histology, Cell Biology, and I need to take Physics 2... to show I could do well in these. How many retakes look bad to an Admissions Committee? Does 10 look bad? If I also took new upper level science classes, would that look good? Histology and Cell Biology would be helpful anyways.

I have not yet taken the MCAT. I am currently studying for it and plan on taking it early next year of 2013. I thought about seeing how I do on the MCAT before I begin taking any classes.. I figure a decent MCAT score along with a raised GPA could offer me a chance haha. Oh.. one last thing.. I have volunteered in the ER at a hospital and doing other volunteer work because I simply like volunteering, not boosting the resume for med school ahaha.

Thank you to anyone who reads and replies! Hope all of this made sense.

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need to raise that GPA. Your performance at a 4-year was disastrous, so unless you do post-bacc, I don't see it happening. Don't retake anything at a community college. I wouldn't even worry about the MCAT at this point. You did so poorly that you are unprepared for the challenge. However, you could prove that notion wrong and get a good MCAT. If I were you, I'd move onto an SMP at an Osteopathic school instead of wasting money on retakes that leads to no degree. That being said, if you do go onto doing retakes, don't do the community college ones, except maybe composition since some schools make English a prerequisite. Those classes are unimportant. Definitely pull off the As in the sciences or you'll have a hard time proving you have the academic prowess to succeed in medical school.

Also, math grades are not science grades, so eliminate those from your osteopathic sGPA calculation.

Last edited:
You definitely need to raise that GPA. Your performance at a 4-year was disastrous, so unless you do post-bacc, I don't see it happening. Don't retake anything at a community college. I wouldn't even worry about the MCAT at this point. You did so poorly that you are unprepared for the challenge. However, you could prove that notion wrong and get a good MCAT. If I were you, I'd move onto an SMP at an Osteopathic school instead of wasting money on retakes that leads to no degree. That being said, if you do go onto doing retakes, don't do the community college ones, except maybe composition since some schools make English a prerequisite. Those classes are unimportant. Definitely pull off the As in the sciences or you'll have a hard time proving you have the academic prowess to succeed in medical school.

Also, math grades are not science grades, so eliminate those from your osteopathic sGPA calculation.

Based on my own experience I have to disagree.

UG sGPA = 2.65ish
UG cGPA = 2.80ish (121 credits)
Pre-req Grades (estimation)
Bio 1: C
Bio 2: C-
Gen Chem 1: C+
Gen Chem 2: D
Orgo 1: C+
Orgo 2: C+
Physics 1: C+
Physics 2: A

First MCAT = 28 (PS=8, VR = 10, BS = 10).

Community college sGPA = 4.00 (~36 credits)
Retook both Gen Chems, Orgo 1, Physics 1.

Second MCAT = 33 (PS = 11, VR = 11, BS = 11)

Total AACOMAS sGPA = 3.28
Total AACOMAS cGPA = 3.26 (or 3.24.. can't remember)

I applied to 10 DO schools. Completed the secondary for 7. 4 interviews, 1 rejection, 1 acceptance.

OP, string together a bunch of As in science classes, do well on your MCAT, and I think you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

If you would evaluate my situation and let me know your honest opinion (Seems to be no problem here) of the chance I have to get into a DO School.

I graduated in December of 2010 with my Bachelors. Attended a community college for two years before that. While in school, I never wanted to be a doctor, but I have recently wanted to pursue this as an option. I have been working at a food company in Quality Assurance since May 2011.

While in college I worried more about hanging out with people and running than grades. I spent little to no time studying. Average college student I suppose... Since graduating, I have matured a lot as a person by simply getting older (25 yrs old now), going through life, having a "real job", paying bills, managing time better etc...

I know my GPA is not the greatest, but here are my stats:

Overall

sGPA = 3.04
3.44 non science
cGPA = 3.20

To break it down even further:

University

cGPA = 2.98
sGPA = 2.63

Community College

cGPA = 3.40
sGPA = 3.63

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my science grades:

A - Biology 1 - 100 level (I got a "D" the first time, "A" the second time
A - Biology 2 - 100 level
A - Chem 1 - 100 level
B - Chem 2 - 100 level
B - Organic 2 - 300 level
B - Physics 1 - trig based
A - Microbiology - 200 level
A - Nutrition 100 level
A - Nutrition 200 level
A - Statistics
C - Trigonometry
C - Ecology - 300 level
B - Biochemistry - 300 level
B - Mammalian Physiology - 300 level
A - Freshman Seminar - 100 level
B - Senior Seminar/Research Paper - 400 level

----------------------------------------------------------

I obviously would need to retake some classes. I thought about retaking these from University:

If I received a "B" in these classes my cGPA would rise to 3.33, sGPA 3.26.

If I received an "A" in these classes my cGPA would rise to 3.46, sGPA 3.48

There are five other classes I received a "C" in from Community College that I could retake.These classes are:

Compositon 1
Literature
Trig
Art Appreciation
Sociology

If I received an "A" in these classes my cGPA would then be 3.71, sGPA 3.56. IS it pointless to retake some of these? I also thought about taking new upper level science classes like Histology, Cell Biology, and I need to take Physics 2... to show I could do well in these. How many retakes look bad to an Admissions Committee? Does 10 look bad? If I also took new upper level science classes, would that look good? Histology and Cell Biology would be helpful anyways.

I have not yet taken the MCAT. I am currently studying for it and plan on taking it early next year of 2013. I thought about seeing how I do on the MCAT before I begin taking any classes.. I figure a decent MCAT score along with a raised GPA could offer me a chance haha. Oh.. one last thing.. I have volunteered in the ER at a hospital and doing other volunteer work because I simply like volunteering, not boosting the resume for med school ahaha.

Thank you to anyone who reads and replies! Hope all of this made sense.
Retake the highlighted classes--got A on them and you will be OK with an MCAT score of 27+. No need to take more than these classes if you are aiming for DO.

Based on my own experience I have to disagree.

UG sGPA = 2.65ish
UG cGPA = 2.80ish (121 credits)
Pre-req Grades (estimation)
Bio 1: C
Bio 2: C-
Gen Chem 1: C+
Gen Chem 2: D
Orgo 1: C+
Orgo 2: C+
Physics 1: C+
Physics 2: A

First MCAT = 28 (PS=8, VR = 10, BS = 10).

Community college sGPA = 4.00 (~36 credits)
Retook both Gen Chems, Orgo 1, Physics 1.

Second MCAT = 33 (PS = 11, VR = 11, BS = 11)

Total AACOMAS sGPA = 3.28
Total AACOMAS cGPA = 3.26 (or 3.24.. can't remember)

I applied to 10 DO schools. Completed the secondary for 7. 4 interviews, 1 rejection, 1 acceptance.

OP, string together a bunch of As in science classes, do well on your MCAT, and I think you'll be fine.
But you also got to apply to medical school as a native-american minority student.

I thought the URM stuff didn't really matter for DO?
Sorry, I read too quickly and thought you were speaking about your MD applications too. But yes, URM doesn't affect admissions policy for DO, unless you're african-american.

Hard to tell without MCAT, but you're at the low end of acceptable. That sGPA should get > 3.1 to give you better chances

If I retake those four classes mentioned above I will have a sGPA of 3.26, and if I receive an A it will be 3.48. I might take two more upper levels as well... to show I can do well in new classes

I think I will study for the MCAT and see how that goes. I could take it in January or in May. I would not start retaking any classes until Fall 2013 unfortunately....(I have a decent job and want to save some money). Might as well study for the MCAT since I have a few months haha.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

The other goal of my post was to point out that low prereq grades doesn't necessarily doom you for the mcat. I skimmed the examkrackers books as my prep and came out with a 28 despite abysmal prereq grades.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

The other goal of my post was to point out that low prereq grades doesn't necessarily doom you for the mcat. I skimmed the examkrackers books as my prep and came out with a 28 despite abysmal prereq grades.

True. I suppose ones ability to understand and comprehend material could be good... even though they slacked off during the class. After I take the MCAT I can let everyone know.

True. I suppose ones ability to understand and comprehend material could be good... even though they slacked off during the class. After I take the MCAT I can let everyone know.

You might also be naturally talented at standardized tests. Critical thinking is huge.