Opinions on switching jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikecake

2021 (ᵔᴥᵔ)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would like your opinions on something. I currently have a job at an accredited, great animal hospital. However, I am miserable there. Everything is a protocol and I feel like I don't get much hands on time with patients, I'm mostly stuck walking dogs even though I have many many years of experience as a tech. I have the opportunity to return to my old job for the same pay. However, the old job that I'm thinking of going back to isn't exactly a 5 star hospital. It's one of those messy cheap hospitals with one cranky doctor and a perpetually full waiting room. However, the amount of crazy things I saw there doesn't even compare to the new nice hospital where I am now. In the 3 years I've been at the new hospital, I've seen as many cool cases as I saw at the old place in a week. What do you guys think? Give up the fancy hospital for the cheap one? Or stay there and just suck it up for the next 8 months? I'm applying this cycle and am worried I'll mess up my chances by leaving the fancy hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying this cycle, a critical question is which doctors who will write you better letters of rec?

If you've been at the fancy one for three years, I think that is more than enough. I would get a letter of rec from the doctors there if possible, and spend the rest of your time in an environment you enjoy more (and possibly get a good letter there as well)

If you are applying this cycle, a critical question is which doctors who will write you better letters of rec?

I think at this point that's irrelevant. The director of the fancy hospital has already written and submitted a letter from me. I also have a letter from a different vet who I worked with a few years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think at this point that's irrelevant. The director of the fancy hospital has already written and submitted a letter from me. I also have a letter from a different vet who I worked with a few years ago.
yeah, you can leave if you want.

If the cranky vet does quality medicine, what does it matter how the clinic looks?