Opioid Prescribing in Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
also interesting is the fact hat oregon rated #2 in prescription drug abuse in 2010. Meaning that 4% is really fueling the fire.

1+

Please tell me that 4% are not real pain docs (BC)

Members don't see this ad :)
Please tell me that 4% are not real pain docs (BC)

That's not in the data set. However, two of the top three counties - Lincoln & Douglas - are too rural to have any - maybe 1 - boarded physicians. The top opioid prescribing county - Josephine - has several boarded docs.

I think boarding should increase safety due to our surveillance meausures - 4A's & UTS - but I don't think it would be associated with a lower total rate of prescribing. And, most importantly, pain boarding doesn't have any effect upon opioid efficacy. That, in a nut shell, is my biggest gripe about REMS approaches to the epidemic.

While that number isn't considered surprising, officials say another is: about 900 of the state's highest prescribing health care providers -- 45 percent of them -- have not signed up to use the system despite the state's outreach efforts since the database went live September 2011. "I'm most concerned about the number of people not using it yet and why that is," said Rep. Jim Thompson, R-Dallas, former executive director of the Oregon State Pharmacy Association.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2012/12/hundreds_of_high-prescribers_d.html

In our state, only 40% of MDs have signed up for the PMP program, and far fewer actually use it. Our pain society is working with the legislature to make it mandatory to use the PMP at least every 6 months for patients receiving opioids for chronic pain.

In our state, only 40% of MDs have signed up for the PMP program, and far fewer actually use it. Our pain society is working with the legislature to make it mandatory to use the PMP at least every 6 months for patients receiving opioids for chronic pain.

Starting in 2014, in my state, it will be a requirement to "writing" the script.

Starting in 2014, in my state, it will be a requirement to "writing" the script.

I do this on all new patients. Then prn on established patients. I also think states should make criminal background checks available and free to physicians as part of the PDMPs. At a minimum, DUIs, drug and other substance abuse arrests should be known to us.

I had a new patient the other day, that when we looked him up had 3 DUIs, a marijuana possesion and crack/ice possesion on his record. His PDMP showed he had been scripted by his surgeon and two Pain physicians (not simultaneously but sequentially).

1-Am I supposed to write chronic opiate pain therapy for this guy? (Absolutely not, and I did not. The risks outweight the benefits for all involved patient, doctor and society included)

2-Why am I the only physician in my community checking these reports available to all physicians (PDMP) and availible to everyone for free (arrest and conviction record)? WTF?! (Because it's easier and better for "business" to look the other way.)

3-More importantly, why the hell aren't drug and DUI arrest available for free to all physicians as part of the PDMP reports? A person could walk out of jail for drug trafficking, and right in to a doctors office and in most states the doctor has no ability to find that out. In the internet age, it is negligent for the regulators to not give us this ability.

Checking PDMP reports and drug/DUI arrest records should both be mandatory for all new patients and at some interval (q 3-6 months) thereafter.

This is crucial information as part of a patients valid social history including substance abuse screening as relevant to chronic opiod therapy risk assessment.

Last edited:
Interesting that oregon lets NURSES write for narcotics while making docs jump yhru extra hoops to do so.

I love PMP It is funny to watch them squirm when you bust them and call BS on them. Makes me feel like im the opiate cop...

Perhaps this should be monitored at the point of sale (ie, the pharmacy). Then it doesn't matter who writes the script, the pharmacists (who have been pushing for increased scope for years..) can participate in the risk management.

Do pharmacists have a role in PMP? My two family members that are pharmacists say their responsibility lies primarily on making sure the scripts are not fake only.

Also, are crimes related to prescription medications public information?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do pharmacists have a role in PMP? My two family members that are pharmacists say their responsibility lies primarily on making sure the scripts are not fake only.

pharmacists have taken on greater responsibility than just making sure the prescriptions are fake. they have taken responsibility for ensuring that patients are taking medications correctly and that their dosages are appropriate for the patient's health condition, that there are no interactions, etc.

monitoring amount of medication is clearly part of the above roles.

pharmacists have taken on greater responsibility than just making sure the prescriptions are fake. they have taken responsibility for ensuring that patients are taking medications correctly and that their dosages are appropriate for the patient's health condition, that there are no interactions, etc.

monitoring amount of medication is clearly part of the above roles.

While i agree with you, what you listed above is not exactly what i meant. I guess when it comes to opioid prescription monitoring for red flags. I've called local pharmacists recently looking for such assistance. I have found them slightly more belpful than my state's PMP online program.

While i agree with you, what you listed above is not exactly what i meant. I guess when it comes to opioid prescription monitoring for red flags. I've called local pharmacists recently looking for such assistance. I have found them slightly more belpful than my state's PMP online program.

My experience has been mostly different. Some pharmacists are very proactive, calling with questions when there are med changes, new scripts, etc.

Apparently, they are supposed to be so proactive, and I encourage it when I talk yo them.

Others, they only care what the insurance will pay, or the patient will pay out of pocket...

This has been my experience as well. Some are great, thoughtful, people and others are tuned out. Mixed bag.

No kidding. Took me forever to get a pain prescription. I haven't used it since 2018, though.

I am not familiar with either the individual or the blog. I signed up and will let you know what I think.

My concerns about grass roots community efforts revolve around the local level of expertise in either pain or evidence based medicine. The efforts out of Seattle - WA state guidelines & PROP - come from groups and individuals - Group Health & UW - with very, very strong academic credentials.

In my community the largests local physician's group decided to 'build their own' opioid standards. I was an advisor and eventually I just had to step away. IMO, they do not have the expertise internally to accomplish what they had hoped to. Eventually, Jim Peck had to get involved.

Last edited:
For you all that use the PMP, do your nurses pull the report and put it in the chart or do you have to do the leg work? And how involved is the report? Is it something you can eyeball in 5 seconds and get what you want or is it something you have to leaf through for 5 min??

For you all that use the PMP, do your nurses pull the report and put it in the chart or do you have to do the leg work? And how involved is the report? Is it something you can eyeball in 5 seconds and get what you want or is it something you have to leaf through for 5 min??

Each state is different. I've worked with these in two states: one with a worthless PMP and another with a great one.

Where I am now, technically only the doc with the password can log in (stricter than HIPAA) and see the report. But it's easy and quick to check.

I can tell in about a 1 nanosecond glance what I need to know from that form. If the "Prescriber" section is one doctor long, and all the scripts from the last year fit on the same page (around 12 Rx's for 12 months) that tells me a lot.

If the report is six pages long, the prescriber section is a page and a half, the pharmacy list is as long as here-to-Texas, I can tell that in 0.5 nanoseconds also.

Same as my county's free, public criminal records report. That's public, any of my staff can check it, and if page one is blank, I learn plenty. If page one, two and three look like an episode of Miami Vice, narcotics bureau, with six DUIs as the cherry on top, that's tells me plenty, as well.

It's every bit worth the very minimal extra time.

each state is different. I've worked with these in two states: One with a worthless pmp and another with a great one.

Where i am now, technically only the doc with the password can log in (stricter than hipaa) and see the report. But it's easy and quick to check.

I can tell in about a 1 nanosecond glance what i need to know from that form. If the "prescriber" section is one doctor long, and all the scripts from the last year fit on the same page (around 12 rx's for 12 months) that tells me a lot.

If the report is six pages long, the prescriber section is a page and a half, the pharmacy list is as long as here-to-texas, i can tell that in 0.5 nanoseconds also.

Same as my county's free, public criminal records report. That's public, any of my staff can check it, and if page one is blank, i learn plenty. If page one, two and three look like an episode of miami vice, narcotics bureau, with six duis as the cherry on top, that's tells me plenty, as well.

It's every bit worth the very minimal extra time.

10+

The Louisiana PMP is easy to use, and we print out each patient's report to the chart in advance

The Louisiana PMP is easy to use, and we print out each patient's report to the chart in advance

Our PMP is great. It's only been available for about a year but I use it countless times every day. We can't assign access to ancillary staff so there is no way for me to get the query posted on the chart prior to the visit unless I do it myself.

http://www.orpdmp.com/orpdmpfiles/PDF_Files/Reports/Dec_2012_PDMP_YTD.pdf

One leak in the system is intrathecal opioids, they currently escape reporting in the system.

Same for IN for intrathecals. Our staff is allowed to query the pmp and enter the results as a pdf in the emr. Takes me 23 sec start to finish to get a years with of data. Can query back nearly 8 years and have the ability to query 8 states pmps from within ours. Love it except for one thing....the state pharmacy board allows pharmacists to use patients nick names. This makes it impossible to find some patients.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324281004578352243321552104.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

By TIMOTHY W. MARTIN

The epidemic in painkiller-abuse gripping the Southern and Eastern U.S. is tightening its hold on the Western part of the country, having blindsided law enforcement and public health authorities.

Timothy Martin has details of the epidemic in painkiller abuse that has gripped the Southern and Eastern U.S. and that is now taking hold of Western states as well. Photo: AP Images.

"We're just in the beginning stages of grasping the full magnitude of this issue," said Elisha Figueroa, Idaho's drug-policy administrator, who started noticing that prescription-drug abuse was becoming pervasive in her state about two years ago.

The painkiller issue is so new to the region that states are still diagnosing the problem and developing policies and regulations to combat it. The problem arrived after Western states fought a long battle against rampant methamphetamine abuse.

In the absence of a unified, federal approach, there has been uneven success nationwide combating painkillers. The Obama Administration has said individual states should be able to address the problem faster, though some states have sought more federal involvement.

More than 16,000 people die from opioid overdoses every year. Now, Dr. Russell Portenoy, who campaigned for wider prescription of pain medications like Vicodin, Oxycontin and Percocet, is having second thoughts. WSJ's Thomas Catan reports. Photo: Bryan Thomas.

Now, Oregon, Colorado, Washington and Idaho have the nation's highest rates of prescription-drug abuse, according to a 2010-11 annual survey, the latest from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, released in January.

According to the latest SAMHSA survey, 6.5% of Oregon residents aged 12 years and older abuse opioid painkillers, compared with 4.5% of residents in Kentucky, once one of the leading states for abuse. Oregon sat atop the most-recent survey.

Areas once considered epicenters of the epidemic still have substantial rates of abuse, and populous states like Florida and New York have larger absolute numbers of people who abuse painkilling drugs.

But abuse rates are down in the South and Appalachia, where painkiller use was so rampant a decade ago that highly addictive oxycodone pills were nicknamed "Hillbilly Heroin." Southern and Appalachian states dominated the SAMHSA survey in 2007.

Multiyear public outreach programs on safe disposal of painkillers have cut the number of pills swiped from medicine cabinets. And a raft of state laws have hindered the black-market supply.

Kentucky launched a state task force to crack down on overprescribing physicians in 2009 and took steps to educate the public on the proper disposal of unused painkillers. Such efforts helped push its ranking to No. 31 in the SAMHSA report, from No. 6 two years earlier.

Hospitals in Florida and elsewhere are grappling with the latest fallout from the epidemic of prescription-drug abuse: babies born addicted to painkillers. The newborns present new challenges for hospitals. Photo: Jason Henry/The Wall Street Journal

And West Virginia fell out of the top 10 in recent years by organizing more than 100 community forums across the state to raise awareness of the painkiller problem and by helping craft localized countermeasures. In 2010, lawmakers stiffened penalties for falsifying information to score prescriptions, among other measures. The state's abuse rate is at 4.8%, or 21st in the nation, compared with 5.9% two years earlier.

In Florida, regional drug strike forces were created by Gov. Rick Scott in March 2011, helping throttle black-market supply. New legislation limited pain-clinic ownership to health-care professionals. Abuse rates fell in a year from 4.4% to 4%, according to SAMHSA, though bigger gains could be seen in future reports as the government data catches up with the situation on the ground.

Drug-trafficking rings have sprouted in Washington, Colorado and other sparsely populated Western states since 2009, according to law enforcement.

Addicts and dealers obtain large quantities of oxycodone or hydrocodone from doctors in Nevada and Southern California, where lax rules have led to pill mills. From there, they transport the drugs to other states.

Arizona is ranked sixth in the SAMHSA survey and doesn't have a unified strategy to battle prescription-drug abuse. Gov. Jan Brewer's office and the state's criminal justice commission launched pilot programs to improve physician education in safely prescribing painkillers in three counties last year, said Merilee Fowler, who leads a pilot program in Yavapai County. "With prescription-drug abuse, it just kept creeping up and creeping up," she said.

Colorado hospital admissions due to opioids grew to 7% of all visits in 2012, nearly triple 2004's 2.5%, according to state data. Yet the state's drug task force is still dedicated solely to tackling methamphetamine issues. Legislators this year will explore freeing up resources to deal with painkiller abuse, said John W. Suthers, Colorado's attorney general.

In Oregon, a program to track painkiller prescriptions was launched 18 months ago. "We didn't start seeing painkillers as an issue until we saw a spike in overdose deaths" around 2008, said Tom Burns, director of pharmacy programs at the Oregon Health Authority. Overdose deaths from painkillers rose 172%, from 218 in 2004 to 378 in 2011, according to Oregon data.

Washington state unveiled pain-management guidelines for health-care providers two years ago to curb overprescribing of powerful opioids. Painkiller overdose deaths peaked at 512 in 2008, but they dropped 23% to 407 in 2011, latest state data show.

Write to Timothy W. Martin at [email protected]

Yet in spite of all these opiate deaths, apparently these states all feel that scripting opiates is so easy a midlevel can do it with zero oversight.

Meanwhile, they are forcing physicians (and only physicians) to go thru extra training to script schedule IIs.

:laugh:

i will often point out the PMP data to the patient - and it always amazes me how they will continue to lie through their teeth despite the data being laid out to them..

I then ask them: "How do you think we can build a patient/doctor relationship when it is obvious that you are not being honest with me?".... They usually just give me a blank stare ...

those patients are not asked back for a f/u

i will often point out the PMP data to the patient - and it always amazes me how they will continue to lie through their teeth despite the data being laid out to them..

I then ask them: "How do you think we can build a patient/doctor relationship when it is obvious that you are not being honest with me?".... They usually just give me a blank stare ...

those patients are not asked back for a f/u

That's a great one!

I pulled out a PMP report once on a drug seeker to "clarify" some suspicious activity. She promptly pulled out her own copy (no idea where she got it), stated "oh I have that already," then got up and left.

i am on the border of another state - and access that PMP as well... however in order to access that PMP I had to sign an application that stated that I would not share with the patient that I obtained their drug use information from PMP.... WTF??? it turns out that last year they changed their credentialing forms to no longer say that... I suspect that initially PMP was worried that people would come slash their tires or something.

I would love a HUB - where the PMP, criminal arrest record/conviction record, previous pain doc notes, across all state lines are in one central web location... too much to ask?