Opposite situation: "Out of the area" e-mail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad here: Suppose you live in the area of a medical school, but will be out of the country part of next year for business. Would you send a "if you plan on interviewing me, please do it while I'm here email?"

Members don't see this ad.

Non-trad here: Suppose you live in the area of a medical school, but will be out of the country part of next year for business. Would you send a "if you plan on interviewing me, please do it while I'm here email?"

I don't think that would be a good idea at all. It could come off pretty arrogant, to be honest. Wait until you get an interview invite to worry about possible scheduling conflicts. You don't want to give adcoms any reason not to interview you!

But how would it be more arrogant than a humbly written "in the area" email?

Members don't see this ad :)
But how would it be more arrogant than a humbly written "in the area" email?

Because an "in the area" email uses positive language, and an "out of the area" email would use negative language. It's subtle, but I think it makes a big difference. In the former, you are saying that you are able to meet on a specific date. That is positive language. In the latter, you are saying that you are NOT able to meet on a certain date, but still want an interview. That's negative language.

Because an "in the area" email uses positive language, and an "out of the area" email would use negative language. It's subtle, but I think it makes a big difference. In the former, you are saying that you are able to meet on a specific date. That is positive language. In the latter, you are saying that you are NOT able to meet on a certain date, but still want an interview. That's negative language.

I wanted to say I would be able to meet in November or December, or would fly back in Jan or Feb if necessary. But, since I will be a 13 hour flight away (also 13 hr time zone difference), it would be much easier if I could interview now.

I'm surprised that everyone thinks this is a bad idea. I was about to write email, but now am having second thoughts. Considering my situation as described in my last post, no one thinks it could help?

I'm surprised that everyone thinks this is a bad idea. I was about to write email, but now am having second thoughts. Considering my situation as described in my last post, no one thinks it could help?
I think the general consensus isn't that it couldn't possibly help. Instead, I think it's that it could possibly help but is very much more likely to hurt you. With that in mind, I wouldn't write it.

It's perfectly fine. It makes perfect sense, I'm not going to spend $2000 and 20 hours on a plane for one interview.

I'm in the same position, and I let 3 schools know via email. I got a positive response (interview invite) from one of those schools. The other two thanked me for letting them know. So I'm not guaranteeing that you'll get an invite out of it, but it's not going to hurt you.

I even included it on my application in the additional comments section. Hell, Harvard even asks if you would be unable to attend an interview for an extended period of time.

I don't really know why everyone here thinks it's such a big deal.

I definitely would... I'm pretty sure I've read on certain secondary instructions to let the admissions office know if you're going to be unavailable to interview at any point during interview season.

I think being across the world on business qualifies. Give them a call or write a carefuly-worded email. And do it soon!

I definitely would... I'm pretty sure I've read on certain secondary instructions to let the admissions office know if you're going to be unavailable to interview at any point during interview season.

this

I don't see what the big deal is. Be professional and don't make it sound like you're expecting one, obvi.

Well, many schools ask for that sort of info when you fill out the secondary. Did these schools ask for that, or did you even know about your trips at the time? How long is this trip? Is it extended (more than say 2 weeks)?

I would not send such an email now - it gives them reason to say "this dude is too much trouble, put him in the 'silent reject' pile."

Let the cards be dealt - if you are offered an interview, you usually get some flexibility in dates. However...we are getting to that stage in the cycle where some schools have very few interview slots left...beggars can't be choosers once we get into January...