Optician work experience but not certified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w.puggy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My OptomCAS is still being verified so I think I can still add experiences onto my application. So I've been working as an optician for about 8 months now. But I didn't put it down as my work experience because a certification is required in NY and I don't have one. My question is should I add on my optician experience on application or keep it off?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are working as an optician then you should put it. Here at PA certification is not required, but I know NY does., regardless you can put it as one of your experience. If a school does ask you about it then you can tell them that you weren't certified but you're an optician. Hope this helps.

I have worked as an optician for about three years, even though I am not technically certified. I still do all the same duties, because where I am at you don't have to be certified. I put it down on my application, and that actually provided a lot of great talking points in my interviews. Absolutely put it down, because it shows you have the experience, and know what the field consists of!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

My OptomCAS is still being verified so I think I can still add experiences onto my application. So I've been working as an optician for about 8 months now. But I didn't put it down as my work experience because a certification is required in NY and I don't have one. My question is should I add on my optician experience on application or keep it off?

Thanks!
I put it down o my OptomCAS application even though I wasn't certified, that was my job title.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your advices. I put down my optician experience on my OptomCAS! It doesn't hurt to have more experiences on my app :)