Option to be interviewed by student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A school says I can give them the option to be considered to be interviewed by student.

I don't want to and want to check NO on the form. I was wondering does that look bad, and could that hurt my chances.

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks SDNers

Members don't see this ad.

newdude said:
A school says I can give them the option to be considered to be interviewed by student.

I don't want to and want to check NO on the form. I was wondering does that look bad, and could that hurt my chances.

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks SDNers

Hmmmm.... my personal preference would be to be interviewed by a faculty member. I'd most like to be interviewed by an influential adcom member. It's risky, 'cause if you do bad you're sunk, but if you do well, you're in. Go for the gold.

Talk to your pre-med advisor. Maybe clarify with the admissions office, since that sounds fairly unique to their school.

MoosePilot said:
Hmmmm.... my personal preference would be to be interviewed by a faculty member. I'd most like to be interviewed by an influential adcom member. It's risky, 'cause if you do bad you're sunk, but if you do well, you're in. Go for the gold.

Talk to your pre-med advisor. Maybe clarify with the admissions office, since that sounds fairly unique to their school.

"It's risky, 'cause if you do bad you're sunk, but if you do well, you're in. Go for the gold."

What are you saying.

I don't wanna do it b/c i had bad experience before. The school says due to some law i have to consent to be interviewed by student and that i can say no b/c of privacy law. I personally feel better/believe will do better when interviewed by a faculty.

Again, i don't want it to look bad and hurt my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
no- moosepilot is right. Read his post again. You want to be interviewed by a faculty member because they'll have more of a say on the committee- so if you do well, you'll get a better chance of getting in.

Regardless of your previous bad student interview, in general, students are much more laidback and their interviews are really more of way for you to ask more personal and detailed questions to get the low down on schools.

personally, I would call and tell them you would like to do either but would prefer a faculty interview.

The other plus of being interviewed by a faculty member is they have more experience interviewing applicants. Some of the meanest/coldest interviewers I've encountered were students. For the most part the faculty had a better conversational style, wanted to get to know you better, and the interview just seemed to flow better. Students seemed to have a bunch of questions to ask and a very distinct agenda to get through.

Freakingzooming said:
You want to be interviewed by a faculty member because they'll have more of a say on the committee- so if you do well, you'll get a better chance of getting in.

I guess this is possible at some schools, but certainly is not always the case. At both Cornell and Pittsburgh, students' and faculty's votes are equally weighted. Both schools made a point of clarifying this.