options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md06494

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 2.66 GPA (really low, I know). I am able to graduate with a BS in Biology by the end of this year. I know application to medical school is not an option right now, but I also know that my GPA isn't a reflection of my abilities. I have had a lot of family and personal issues going on that drastically affected my GPA. No, it's not an excuse, but it happens. I still want to pursue medical school, though I know it'll be more delayed than I had hoped.

Right now, I am looking towards Post-Bacc programs and will be applying later this year. I have also been thinking about Forensic Science and getting a degree in that. I do not want to stay in my current state and would like to move to California, which is where I am hoping to pursue any education past my BS. I am not sure whether I should hold graduating this year and apply as a transfer and pursue a minor in Forensic Science in California, graduate and apply for a second bachelor's program, or just skip both of those options and apply to the Post-Bacc programs.

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With that GPA I think you should def go into post bac and kick butt in whatever it is that you hope to pursue. If you manage to excel, you might have a chance to get into med school but only if you manage to get your GPA together. Best of Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for the post-bac; a second degree is overkill.

I currently have a 2.66 GPA (really low, I know). I am able to graduate with a BS in Biology by the end of this year. I know application to medical school is not an option right now, but I also know that my GPA isn't a reflection of my abilities. I have had a lot of family and personal issues going on that drastically affected my GPA. No, it's not an excuse, but it happens. I still want to pursue medical school, though I know it'll be more delayed than I had hoped.

Right now, I am looking towards Post-Bacc programs and will be applying later this year. I have also been thinking about Forensic Science and getting a degree in that. I do not want to stay in my current state and would like to move to California, which is where I am hoping to pursue any education past my BS. I am not sure whether I should hold graduating this year and apply as a transfer and pursue a minor in Forensic Science in California, graduate and apply for a second bachelor's program, or just skip both of those options and apply to the Post-Bacc programs.

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!

Should I maybe stay an extra semester at my current school to try to get my GPA up? I am going to be taking 19 credits in the Fall but I don't it's going to help very much even with A's in all of the classes.

You aren't going to fix that GPA in a semester or two. And absolutely don't plan on going to med school in California. Do a search and find out how horribly hard it is to get into school in CA even with stellar stats. Take your time, research DO schools and think this through before making any decisions.

Reactions: 1 user

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!
A second degree is not worth the money. Do a post-bacc and then apply DO.

Reactions: 1 user