Optom Student Transferring from UK to USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optom.student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello !

I have been struggling trying to find what the best option will be in terms of pursuing an optometry career.

I have graduated with a bachelor of science degree from a Canadian university and am now currently attending a school in the UK for optometry.

I have successfully completed my first year and am about to start my second but was wondering what options i have in terms of transferring over to the states to finish off my optometry degree ?

Is this possible to transfer mid-way through the UK program or do I have to finish the Optometry degree in the UK ?

Any help regarding the transfer of my UK student optom status to the states would be very appreciated !

THANKS !

Members don't see this ad.

Hey optom.student
I am currently in the same situation. I am a Canadian student hoping to go to the UK and maybe transferring to the States in the future for Optometry. I was wondering if you had any luck transferring or are you practising in the UK now?

Did you want to practice in Canada or the US?
I don't see it anywhere how you'd be able to practice in the US without graduating from a school in the US or maybe Canada. Or at least I have never heard of anyone practicing here that graduated from a UK program. I honestly didn't know they had an Optometry Doctorate program in the UK.

You would for sure have to pass the 3 sets of National Board exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey optom.student
I am currently in the same situation. I am a Canadian student hoping to go to the UK and maybe transferring to the States in the future for Optometry. I was wondering if you had any luck transferring or are you practising in the UK now?

Don't go to the UK, go straight to the states now! I just made a post about this. Honestly, don't waste your time. It's a nightmare coming back to Canada and especially if you want to practice in the states later, it makes sense to just go straight to the states.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello I graduated from the UK and ended up going through the advanced standing program at a University in the States. I had to do an additional 2 years at that University to get the O.D. degree and THEN sit the boards. When I had finished my first year in UK I had contacted a USA school to transfer (as bridging problems were just starting), and they would allow you to either re-do year one or start year 2 based on courses you've taken. You would need the OAT. Transfer NOW if you can. I highly highly highly advise it. Otherwise you'll be out way more money and more stress.

Canada's bridging program is not the best organized process and is constantly going through changes. The biggest issue is that there isn't an annual admission/application process. Everyone is thrown into a pool and accepted or declined based on a big pool instead of an annual admission process.

Reactions: 1 user