Optomcas application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opto2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that the Optomcas application has a section for work experience, and I have not had a job. Will Optometry schools look down upon that if you haven't had any work experience? I'v shadowed a lot and also volunteer at a hospital. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that the Optomcas application has a section for work experience, and I have not had a job. Will Optometry schools look down upon that if you haven't had any work experience? I'v shadowed a lot and also volunteer at a hospital. Any help would be much appreciated :)

get a summer job like working at a camp, that always looks good.

I don't think it matters...there's also a section for "optometric experience" and the only thing I had to put in there was being part of a pre-optometry club. No one asked me a single thing about that...so I really wouldn't worry. I think they want to give people the opportunity to put something if they have done it. Plus that is how some people show what they were doing with their time. Like I always took a class load less than 15 credits because I worked a lot through college. So it wasn't that I was being lazy - I was able to show that I really was filling my time. As long as you can show that you have really filled your time up with things, then that's all they will care about. They want to see that you can handle having lots to do at once, because that's what school will be like.

If you can get a summer job as a tech at an optometry office, that would just be a bonus!

I don't think it matters...there's also a section for "optometric experience" and the only thing I had to put in there was being part of a pre-optometry club. No one asked me a single thing about that...so I really wouldn't worry. I think they want to give people the opportunity to put something if they have done it. Plus that is how some people show what they were doing with their time. Like I always took a class load less than 15 credits because I worked a lot through college. So it wasn't that I was being lazy - I was able to show that I really was filling my time. As long as you can show that you have really filled your time up with things, then that's all they will care about. They want to see that you can handle having lots to do at once, because that's what school will be like.

If you can get a summer job as a tech at an optometry office, that would just be a bonus!

Thank you both for your suggestions! I really wanted to get a job at an Optometrist's office for work experience related to my field of interest, but unfortunately it is so difficult here because a lot of times they don't need any other assistance :( But thanks for clearing that up for me!