Optomcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neko82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi~

I'm trying to understand the whole optomcas still. Does anyone know if I can apply to more schools later after I submit my application the first time? Like, can I apply to some schools first and decide later I want to apply to others and still be able to do it? Or do I have to send in to the schools all at once?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

From the OptomCAS FAQ's:

Q: Can I apply to additional programs after I submit my OptomCAS application the first time?
A: Yes. You may login to your OptomCAS application to add additional designations as long as the deadline has not passed. Please be reminded that you will need to submit additional fees at this time.

I also called the customer service to ask this question last year, and they added that I cannot add anything to the application once I have sent it to one school. So, you should have all your essays, LOR's, resume stuff that you want available for alternate schools at the time of the first submission.

For more questions about OptomCAS visit:
https://portal.optomcas.org/applicants2010/faq/faqs.shtml

Adding to CaliOD25, your main OptomCAS essay should be finalized and added to optomcas before you "e-submit". But of course if you decide to apply for additional schools later who attach their supplemental essays to optomcas, you will be able to fill THOSE out at that time. Just not your main one. So make sure you upload at least one generic one that is okay to be sent to any school, if you're the type to personalize them to the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that we can add other schools to our application, but how many times can we update our application?

I ask this because I want to apply as early as possible, but I also want to continuously increase my shadowing hours, extracurriculars, and take additional courses to increase my gpa.

Should I apply as early as possible with what I have and add in what I need to later, or just wait until September when I am officially enrolled in my fall courses and new extracurricular activities?

From what I recall, and anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, you can only update your coursework once you have submitted your application. I also believe there is only a small window of opportunity to do this in the spring.

Once you press the submit button, you will be unable to change anything in your application until spring rolls and then, you will only be able to add coursework information for spring as well as fall grades. In essence, you won't be able to change things in your application after you submit.

If you think that the new extracurriculars are going to add significantly to the application, I wouldn't wait to submit. Applying early really is to your advantage, because most schools are rolling. Once you get the interview, you can explain your extracurriculars and additional shadowing.

Can you add additional LORs after submitting the application, given that you have not already filled LOR's to the max amount?

Once you press the submit button, you will be unable to change anything in your application until spring rolls and then, you will only be able to add coursework information for spring as well as fall grades. In essence, you won't be able to change things in your application after you submit.

If you think that the new extracurriculars are going to add significantly to the application, I wouldn't wait to submit. Applying early really is to your advantage, because most schools are rolling. Once you get the interview, you can explain your extracurriculars and additional shadowing.

Thank you everyone for replying. With regards to what was said above, I do think the new extracurriculars will add significantly, but I also see what you're saying that it is to my advantage to apply early. By the time I apply I will have about 35 hours of shadowing, but only at one location.

Would it be advisable to include activities I intend on doing throughout the year that show my commitment to pursuing optometry? (ie - aiming to shadow at more locations, school clubs, more courses)?

Can you add additional LORs after submitting the application, given that you have not already filled LOR's to the max amount?

I'm not sure about this sorry :( It would be helpful to know though, does anyone else know? All I remember reading is that we enter the email addresses of our references.

I'm not sure about this sorry :( It would be helpful to know though, does anyone else know? All I remember reading is that we enter the email addresses of our references.

Nope once you hit "e-submit" your application is DONE. You can make no further changes to it except for academic update in January. So make sure you have the LORs set up before you submit!

Nope once you hit "e-submit" your application is DONE. You can make no further changes to it except for academic update in January. So make sure you have the LORs set up before you submit!
This is good to know. I have a few friends applying to Dental school and Med school and they allow you to submit any time during the open application process. ( so for them before 2/15/11 ). Thanks for your always helpful knowledge Mewcakes!!! :)