Optometrist from Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sergioowns1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, in 2 months im getting my degree to be an optometrist in mexico and I want to become an OD in USA, do anyone know what does my degree from mexico transfeer to, or if least if i could skip the college study thing and go straight to the OAT and get to a university?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it would depend on the school you're applying to. Contact the admissions departments of some schools you are interested in with your transcripts, and they should be able to let you know their remaining requirements.

I agree with the last person - it will depend on the university. I would check with several, since their policies might be very different. But Canadians do it and I think my school had at least one person whose degree was from China, so there's got to be a way. You may have to take some college courses before being allowed into some schools, depending on the courses each one requires (every one is a little different).

Anyone can take the OAT regardless of which courses they have taken or in what country. So you may use that as a bargaining chip with schools to say "Hey, I took the OAT and look how well I did." But ask a few before you pay the money to do that.

I know for bringing a dental degree from Mexico to the US, the state is what varies in whether you have to repeat all of dental school or only a couple years. However, I think that dentistry is more similar between the two countries and optometry is fairly different.

In the mean time, you may want to check out Vosh.org. It's an organization of optometrists and students who travel abroad to provide care in more rural and needy areas. You might see if there's a trip to somewhere in Mexico near you so that you could join and at least shadow if not help out somehow. That's a great way to get to know some people who can write letters of recommendation for optometry school in the US.

Good luck!

Hello, in 2 months im getting my degree to be an optometrist in mexico and I want to become an OD in USA, do anyone know what does my degree from mexico transfeer to, or if least if i could skip the college study thing and go straight to the OAT and get to a university?

Thank you for your answers, and yeah, I went to several trips with Vosh to rural areas here in Mexico while studying, so thank you for reminding me and for your advices :)