Optometrists- are you happy with your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZealousStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my top possible dream careers is optometry. I know that it takes around 9 years of school and the median annual salary is around 80-90K. But right now, I'm trying to look past the school requirements and the salary.
Is becoming an optometrist really worth it? Right now, I just want to find a job that I will be happy with. Do you have to work long hours? Do you enjoy your work? Any additional experiences/stories would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should shadow some optometrists. They will offer so many insights into the field rather than strangers on the internet. Plus you will see if you really enjoy the field yourself :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty happy. The job isn't that hard. Days go by fast and it feels like doing a puzzle trying to piece together the data for a case and making sure things make sense. It's not that hard, and the only things that upset me are when (I'm in corporate) staff isn't trained well or when my schedule gets really busy and I have a lot of longer duration cases.

Today the 4th year optometry students figure out if they match for residencies, and all of them are excited to become a doctor in 2 months and 7 days and that they've matched into a program - facebook is on fire.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should shadow some optometrists. They will offer so many insights into the field rather than strangers on the internet. Plus you will see if you really enjoy the field yourself :)

This is good advice. The internet is a good place for information, but you will learn quickly that many on this website are not happy with their career choice. This is a good place to learn about the challenges facing Optometry, just do a few quick searches, but realize that the disgruntled are more likely to be vocal than the successful. Shadowing is key, but use it effectively and ask them the hard questions.

I also think that that's a great idea. I would love to do so. But I don't really have a ride or the time to do so. :( I will try to do so this summer. Thank you for the advice!

yes,. They will offer so many insights into the field rather than strangers on the internet. Plus you will see if you really enjoy the field yourself
QwqhZC

Been practicing for 20 years & still love my job, & I think many OD's of my era feel the same.

That being said, I just think it's going to be extremely difficult for a new grad to ever get to where I am.

Been practicing for 20 years & still love my job, & I think many OD's of my era feel the same.

That being said, I just think it's going to be extremely difficult for a new grad to ever get to where I am.

Do you think it will be difficult because of oversupply? Unwillingness of new grads to move to a new location? Insufficient knowledge to create a viable business model? Older Optometrists looking to hire OD's with more experience or not willing to sell their practices at a reasonable price? Common vision plans becoming increasingly restrictive for providers? I'm curious to know what you think.

Do you think it will be difficult because of oversupply? Unwillingness of new grads to move to a new location? Insufficient knowledge to create a viable business model? Older Optometrists looking to hire OD's with more experience or not willing to sell their practices at a reasonable price? Common vision plans becoming increasingly restrictive for providers? I'm curious to know what you think.
All of the above.
Decreased reimbursement, managed care will hurt, but the oversupply will be the nail in the coffin.

IMO, the new schools accepted primarily those who wouldn't (shouldn't) have gotten in anywhere (evidenced by their low GPA/OAT average & the chatter here).
These schools were started by non-OD's & are driven by profit, not need.

I already saw the same mentality in the bottom of the barrel students in my own class: They were attracted to the doctor title/income and were willing to stoop to the lowest common denominator to achieve it. They went on to work in the refraction mills doing $35 exams, never got involved in advancing the profession, & are practicing to the bare minimum standard of care.
They just show up for the paycheck.

Only difference now is that it will be tough to do with a $200K student loan anchor around their neck.

Last edited:
All of the above.
Decreased reimbursement, managed care will hurt, but the oversupply will be the nail in the coffin.

IMO, the new schools accepted primarily those who wouldn't (shouldn't) have gotten in anywhere (evidenced by their low GPA/OAT average & the chatter here).
These schools were started by non-OD's & are driven by profit, not need.

I saw the same mentality in the bottom of the barrel students in my own class: Attracted to the doctor title/income and willing to stoop to the lowest common denominator to achieve it.
They went on to work in the refraction mills, doing $35 exams; never got involved in advancing the profession, & practicing to the minimum standard of care.
They just show up for the paycheck.
Only difference now is that it will be tough to do with a $200K student loan anchor around their neck.

Does the ASCO have any power to prevent new schools from popping up everywhere? it seems silly that they would allow this to happen. Skewed interpretation of manpower studies? Making it harder to become accredited seems like a good idea.