Optometry in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twick853

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there!

I have a question... I am currently working on my B.Sc. and looking to get into optometry. Both my sister as well as her husband are optometrists in Alberta, Canada, and have told me they work with an optician who took a condensed 6 month course in British Colombia to become certified. Apparently while she was taking this course, she was advised that she could apply to an optometry school in the UK and basically skip her entire undergrad studies, then return back to Canada and either take a board exam or complete a bridging program at the University of Waterloo. Apparently from this point on after completion, she would be able to practice as an O.D....

This sounded a little strange to me. Does anyone have anymore information on this process?

Members don't see this ad.

Optometry schools in the UK do not require any undergraduate studies - that is true. You can apply out of high school. From what I know, the bridging program is required to be completed if you plan to practice in Canada in addition to the board exams. I am not 100% sure about that, but I do know an optometrist who completed her degree in the UK many years ago and is currently practicing in BC.